19 members have voted

1. 1. Hora

• 1 hr/day
    • 3 hr/day
    • 5+ hr.day
    • 20 min/day

Have an odd hunch that this might be a factor. Please answer honestly. :D

Edited by andersoj

I know I don't go on the computer every day, but when I do, it's for a loooooooooooooong time. Doing very pointless things, too.

15 hours a day is a lot.

I used to go on like 2 to 3 hours but im nearly always out now :)

It really helps a lot and I do think that this is a factor

If your sitting down all day in front of a computer and not outside in frsh air.

But I didnt know it was your living, sorry

I think it can cause acne by fucking with your hormones. I think that looking at an artificial bright light for often times the majority of your day is why. I literally look at a glowing screen for the majority of my day whether it be my laptop, iphone, desktop, or friends lcd tv, I'm being bombarded by visual noise, haha, or stimulus.

I have the idea of starving myself of this for a month and seeing what happens. But I also work on the computer as I'm a grad student in Architecture and it is kind of crucial, but I may attempt to minimise it and get old school again. My problem is that I waist a ton of time on sites like this, often resulting in excessive use.

I fully understand that I am an internet addict, I am just being honest with you. I could get into the details, but I won't right now, I just have an extremely obsessive personality, left to me by my recovering alcoholic parents, neither of which has drank alcohol since I've been alive (I am no proud of this).

I also feel like periods where I'm away from my computer and out doing real stuff for most of the day my skin improves and my self esteem is boosted. But the only thin that really tears me away from the computer is hooking up with girls.

I don't know why I'm posting about this right now, but I'm high and thats making it fun:)

But yeah just think about it, it seems like there are more adult acne sufferers than previous times as well. It seems to have been commonly accepted that almost everyone grew out of their acne. I'm referring to industrial times pre-computer and behind. Maybe starring at a computer scree too much has hit some people genetically inclined to be extra vulnerable, just like were extra vulnerable to everything else, like, food, sex, drugs, allergies, chemical imbalances.

I'm not actually all that mad at the screens, I think their ok, its just that they fuck me up mentally and facilitate obsessive compulsive behaviors that involve negative thought patterns. The kind of instant gratification that the internet allows can be permanently transformative over a long enough period of time. I used to but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by andersoj

I would have to answer the 5+ option, especially right now in my life while during revision for exams, when i am trying to revise but instead just aimlessly procrastinating on the internet.

I think it can cause acne by fucking with your hormones. I think that looking at an artificial bright light for often times the majority of your day is why. I literally look at a glowing screen for the majority of my day whether it be my laptop, iphone, desktop, or friends lcd tv, I'm being bombarded by visual noise, haha, or stimulus.

...Maybe starring at a computer scree too much has hit some people genetically inclined to be extra vulnerable, just like were extra vulnerable to everything else, like, food, sex, drugs, allergies, chemical imbalances.

Yeah sure, staring at computer screens all day is probably not good, and of course it has only been in the last few decades that we humans have done so. But think of all the other things we are exposed to that are "unnatural", and most of which has only occurred over the last few decades. Think of not only staring at the screens, but being constantly bombarded inside and out by wireless signals, radio frequencies, etc. Or all the wierd chemicals and shit that have been put in or food and environment. I'm just saying to rule out staring at computer screens as the one thing responsible for disrupting our body's natural rhythm or equilibrium seems haphazard. I think the best strategy is like anything with else, acknowledging its presence and avoiding over exposure to such things.

Then again if your job requires you be sitting at a computer all day, well then I guess you got no choice...

The kind of instant gratification that the internet allows can be permanently transformative over a long enough period of time.

That is a good statement for reasons other than acne, of which the deleterious effects are already quite apparent... I can tell you are all stoned just reading those last couple paragraphs haha.

Yeah sure, staring at computer screens all day is probably not good, and of course it has only been in the last few decades that we humans have done so. But think of all the other things we are exposed to that are "unnatural", and most of which has only occurred over the last few decades. Think of not only staring at the screens, but being constantly bombarded inside and out by wireless signals, radio frequencies, etc. Or all the wierd chemicals and shit that have been put in or food and environment. I'm just saying to rule out staring at computer screens as the one thing responsible for disrupting our body's natural rhythm or equilibrium seems haphazard. I think the best strategy is like anything with else, acknowledging its presence and avoiding over exposure to such things.

I definitely don't think that staring at the computer is the sole reason, but yeah, just another factor unique to the modern world. There are also so many WOW freaks with clear skin, that I'm extremely skeptical, but thats just like all the people that can eat a horrible diet without superficial consequences.

That is a good statement for reasons other than acne, of which the deleterious effects are already quite apparent... I can tell you are all stoned just reading those last couple paragraphs haha.

Yeah, I think the psychological/behavioral impact may be much more profound then whether or not it causes acne. I have always considered myself ADD, so maybe how I use the internet is different than most people, but I think its obvious that the internet is uncontested in its ability to facilitate ADD/obseesvive behaviors. I know that this site in particular, let alone all the other acne related noise on google, has an insidious ability to snare me in often multi hour unconscious sessions seeking the perfect regimen, or magic pill. The problem is that I see so many and can only commit to so few that , I've probably passed on what would be effective treatments for me many many times. Its also a fools hunt that will let your real life slip through your fingers without even realizing it.

Btw, I also try to meditate and read books like Mindfulness in Plain Englishwhich has helped me look objectively at what it is that I'm doing. Recommended

Edited by andersoj