Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, so I have very light acne (a few pimples and a couple blackheads in my t-zone) I'm 12 and a half, and I started breaking out a couple months ago. I changed to a healthy diet about a month ago. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips or pointers.

Normally, I eat

oatmeal

whole grain bread (absolutely NO white flour)

salad with romaine lettuce and lots of cucumber

carrots

carrot juice

lots of fruit

a bit of very lean turkey meat

some lean chicken with no oil

tiny amounts of sunflower seeds

rice

I have completely cut candy, dairy, and refined flour out of my diet. I drink about 64 ounces of water per day. I change my pillowcase and washcloth regularly. I take showers every day. I get usually 9 hours of sleep per day. I eat salads EVERY day, and I eat them twice a day if I can.

Here's what I use for my external skin care. I have combination/oily skin

Alba Sea Mineral Cleansing Gel

Cinique Rinse off Foaming Cleanser

when I get up in the mornings, I use the Alba cleanser. In the afternoon, I use the Clinique, and at night and in the tub I use the Alba. Sometimes I wash my face inbetween, because my nose and forehead get pretty oily. I actually switch my cleaners quite a bit because my skin is super sensitive, and is allergic to most. I hope to stick with my new ones, however. My skin has improved greatly over the past month, but I still have some pimples. Do you guys think I'm taking good care of my skin? Is it possible to have acne in your Tweens, take good care of it, have it go away, and only have minor problems in your later teens? My daddy thinks my skin will clear up in a few months, but I would like a few more opinions. Not that I don't trust my dad, he's very smart. Is it possible to be allergic to isopropyl alcohol, salicylic acid, and benzynol peroxide? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm allergic to all of them. Oh, and I know that genetics play a huge part in acne, so I'll tell you how my parents was. My daddy had moderate acne when he was 17 or so, then he changed his diet, and a few months later his skin cleared up. My mom didn't really have acne, she only had a few pimples, and her skin cleared up by the time she started college. Oh, and lastly, I exercise 3 times a week, plus the times I play outside. I wear neutrogena sensitive skin sunscreen.

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for your patience, I would reaaaaaaaaally appreciate some advice!!!

Hi, so I have very light acne (a few pimples and a couple blackheads in my t-zone) I'm 12 and a half, and I started breaking out a couple months ago. I changed to a healthy diet about a month ago. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips or pointers.

Normally, I eat

oatmeal

whole grain bread (absolutely NO white flour)

salad with romaine lettuce and lots of cucumber

carrots

carrot juice

lots of fruit

a bit of very lean turkey meat

some lean chicken with no oil

tiny amounts of sunflower seeds

rice

I have completely cut candy, dairy, and refined flour out of my diet. I drink about 64 ounces of water per day. I change my pillowcase and washcloth regularly. I take showers every day. I get usually 9 hours of sleep per day. I eat salads EVERY day, and I eat them twice a day if I can.

Here's what I use for my external skin care. I have combination/oily skin

Alba Sea Mineral Cleansing Gel

Cinique Rinse off Foaming Cleanser

when I get up in the mornings, I use the Alba cleanser. In the afternoon, I use the Clinique, and at night and in the tub I use the Alba. Sometimes I wash my face inbetween, because my nose and forehead get pretty oily. I actually switch my cleaners quite a bit because my skin is super sensitive, and is allergic to most. I hope to stick with my new ones, however. My skin has improved greatly over the past month, but I still have some pimples. Do you guys think I'm taking good care of my skin? Is it possible to have acne in your Tweens, take good care of it, have it go away, and only have minor problems in your later teens? My daddy thinks my skin will clear up in a few months, but I would like a few more opinions. Not that I don't trust my dad, he's very smart. Is it possible to be allergic to isopropyl alcohol, salicylic acid, and benzynol peroxide? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm allergic to all of them. Oh, and I know that genetics play a huge part in acne, so I'll tell you how my parents was. My daddy had moderate acne when he was 17 or so, then he changed his diet, and a few months later his skin cleared up. My mom didn't really have acne, she only had a few pimples, and her skin cleared up by the time she started college. Oh, and lastly, I exercise 3 times a week, plus the times I play outside. I wear neutrogena sensitive skin sunscreen.

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for your patience, I would reaaaaaaaaally appreciate some advice!!!

While fruit is a great idea, in excess, any kind of sugar is very bad. I'd definitely try to balance out my food groups and not eat too much of one thing. Same with whole wheat bread. Acne is actually less reactant with white bread, but any single kind of grain should be limited.

Also, the poultry. Most mass-produced poultry in the states has been genetically or hormonally modified in some way. And while that may not necessarily be a problem, poultry, while certainly easier on the heart, is not as nutritious as red meat. I'd also consider supplementing poultry with some fish.

And oil isn't bad for you! Unless you're counting calories, I really wouldn't avoid it.

Your diet generally looks pretty good; just don't eat too much of any one of these things (even though they're all healthy).

Your cleansers look alright; I doubt you're allergic to salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, but they are very astringent. Salicylic acid and other astringents like witch hazel are good for exfoliation and healing red marks.

You can help alleviate their astringent effect by using jojoba oil; you should almost always be moisturizing after using any astringent.

If you haven't heard about jojoba oil, you can buy it pretty cheap here, or at places like Whole Foods. It has vitamin D, which helps the skin heal, and works even better when combined with a gentle, non-comedogenic oil-based moisturizer like Cetaphil.

I'd recommend doing all these things before bed, as it seems you already are; putting a ton of moisturizer on your face before going to school probably isn't a good idea.

Also, there's one last thing that's helped a lot of people on this board and would have helped me when I was your age too: not masturbating. :dance:

And getting a little more sun doesn't hurt; it helps your body regulate its digestive patterns.