Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bocaj

Anyone ever seek counseling?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen a mental health counselor/psychologist etc to help deal with the emotional difficulties?

My skin has been much better for a while now but I feel that from my experience of enduring acne and other things in my life that it really flipped my outlook on things to having low self esteem to being more anxious and worried about events that you should not get worried about.

I think I am going to try to get professional help to see if I can break the cycle b/c I believe it is all behavioral based and I have endured it for so many yrs so it's kind of ingrained within me. Just wanted to see if anyone had positive experiences.

Thanks!

Definitely give it a go, it can really help! The hard part is just finding a counsellor/psych that you 'click' with.

I have been seeing psychs for yearsssssssss (for unrelated stuff) and it gives me a lot of perspective. =]

Yeah, give it a go! :) I've been going for almost two years- and it has helped a lot.

Have you ever read the "Feeling good handbook"? It's techniques of cognitive behavioral therapy, which is all about recognizing negative patterns and cycle, then working to change them. Finding a therapist who works with CBT might be what you're looking for.

I don't think that for my particular case CBT is the absolute answer, but I have incorporated elements of it into my therapy. And it's been shown to have high success rates in treating OCD and OCD-like behaviors.

We CAN feel good again! :) Just keep working at it!

Good luck!

akko

Edited by akko

Thanks guys for your perspectives....yes my teacher is also a psychologist and he said CBT too and that the behavior I am feeling might be "intrusive thoughts" but I am hopeful to really work at changing my perspectives for a lot of things to definitely be more positive...I think my faith has helped me out tremendously but I could use some Professional help too.

Good luck!

I say do it. I'm going to start seeing a therapist soon myself, it's something I've wanted for awhile. Typically people go see therapists because they have no one else to talk to and share feelings with and recently I've started noticing how damaging it is to keep certain feelings inside. So yeah if you have no one else to talk to, see a shrink. It can only help.

Hey Jay I agree with ya. I have never been able to talk to anyone about it and the only thing I am able to do so far is pray at least which is really helpful. My appt is scheduled for tomorrow since i have mental health services at my school. My hope is that I can get help with having a more positive attitude and learn proven techniques to help me stick with it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

I can highly reccommend counselling, I found it fantastic. To the point where, once I was happy enough in myself I did an introduction to counselling skills college course, seriously considered it as a career.

There is something wonderful and freeing about having an hour where you can talk about whatever you like with a person you know is listening and isnt demanding anything of you. Its completely 'me time' and can be a great help.

Be sure to shop around aswell, its so important to find a counsellor that you feel comfortable talking to, if you dont feel you can open up to a person, then try another one, a good relationship with the counsellor is essentiial.

No, it doesn't help, especially when your counselor is a flaming homosexual who cannot stop staring at your private as you're opening yourself up to him.

lol, and purposely put my self in a situation where i have to be face to face with someone? no. my mental health will return when my face is clear. that is the only way. no amount of counseling will ever help me, it will only make things worse.

Hey Misery,

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I am not sure what I would have done back in the day b/c I have been much better now for yrs but I know my faith is what helped me survive back then and it still does now a days. I am a Christian and I believe my faith really saved me from making some terrible decisions back then so all I can do is speak from my experience. It helped me realize that this whole ordeal is one big test that I have to endure but it does not mean I had to do it alone and I wish I spoke with someone back then.

My point is that it has really helped my mental health but I also believe I need professional help b.c God put these people here for a reason to help people like us out. I have already sought out medical help and physical therapy for physical problems I have had over the yrs and they have worked wonders for me so there is no reason I could not use professional mental health and get the same results.

Just gotta have faith =)

Hey Misery,

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I am not sure what I would have done back in the day b/c I have been much better now for yrs but I know my faith is what helped me survive back then and it still does now a days. I am a Christian and I believe my faith really saved me from making some terrible decisions back then so all I can do is speak from my experience. It helped me realize that this whole ordeal is one big test that I have to endure but it does not mean I had to do it alone and I wish I spoke with someone back then.

My point is that it has really helped my mental health but I also believe I need professional help b.c God put these people here for a reason to help people like us out. I have already sought out medical help and physical therapy for physical problems I have had over the yrs and they have worked wonders for me so there is no reason I could not use professional mental health and get the same results.

Just gotta have faith =)

used to have faith and was a good christian and believed in god, not anymore. there is no way this all loving "god" that we learned about would ever put me through what i have to go through each and every day. not even satan would do this to me. even in the beggening when nothing else worked i would pray every night for him just to please help me. nothing ever changed. it only gets worse as the days pass. god has abandoned me.

You seem exactly like me. Having acne is the only thing stopping me from going to a therapist but at the same time acne (and everyone that comes along with it) is the reason I really need to see one. It's a really vicious cycle. You may think that all your problems will be solved with clear skin (and who knows, maybe they will be) but alot of people find it's not like that. All your problems are still there just with a clear face.

You seem exactly like me. Having acne is the only thing stopping me from going to a therapist but at the same time acne (and everyone that comes along with it) is the reason I really need to see one. It's a really vicious cycle. You may think that all your problems will be solved with clear skin (and who knows, maybe they will be) but alot of people find it's not like that. All your problems are still there just with a clear face.

severe acne IS my only problem. i had absolutely not problems before i had acne. all the problems that i do have (no friends, hated by everyone, no life, drop out of school) are all caused by acne. every problem that i have can be solved by getting rid of acne. sadly, ive accepted that will never happen.

People don't hate you because you have acne, lol. That's just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure you having acne and it completely ruining your life has done things to you mentally that won't be fixed as soon as you're clear.

Q4t

Something which has always hampered my progress in getting rid of acne is being afraid to go to see the doctor who gets rid of it. I know it's something they all seen before but i still am so ashamed to do it anyway. It would be the same with getting therapy. It sure is a vicious cycle.

Hey Misery,

Just gotta have faith =)

used to have faith and was a good christian and believed in god, not anymore. there is no way this all loving "god" that we learned about would ever put me through what i have to go through each and every day. not even satan would do this to me. even in the beggening when nothing else worked i would pray every night for him just to please help me. nothing ever changed. it only gets worse as the days pass. god has abandoned me.

I was in the same boat as you years ago. I would pray every morning and night for relief and I thought that every good deed I did would bring me one step closer but it never came for yrs. What I do feel is that I went through a major trial and that I learned so much from it for the better and that I am a better person for it. For example some girls I know when I would talk to them would be like "wow I wish more guys were like you" and I feel that through my acne experience I learned to be nicer and more compassionate with people in general b/c people were not with me. That's just one example though. I think if you pray about it and look to find something positive I think you can find one. Hey it took Job many chapters in the Bible before God brought him relief so I feel like we are no different.

And I am not completely acne free I still get pimples and last yr from like Aug to dec I had a major relapse whether it be school or whatever so I was getting discouraged but I was much better in being able to handle it that's all i'm saying.

Hey everyone,

So I went to see a psychiatrist through the mental health services at my school and he was actually really good to talk to. I had a whole hr to talk and it felt good just to talk about what has happened in my life even though an hour is still not enough haha. He had some good points to make about how I think and perceive things and he recommended more long term psychotherapy for me to help me try and conquer all these issues and I am highly considering it b/c i'm like well if it helps I think it is totally worth it.

I am just trying to find therapists that are covered under my insurance b/c I still need to be able to afford it. he said therapy could be like 1-2 yrs possibly but it always depends so i was like wow didn't think that long but it seems like that is the norm. I guess i need to do my research and shop around and see what happens.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Take care!