ANNOYING RAZOR BUMP...

Notifications
Clear all

ANNOYING RAZOR BUMPS!

MemberMember
(@keviinx09)

Posted : 05/01/2010 1:17 am

Sooo I've been dealing with this issuee for the pastt IDont even remember howw longg but long enough to be ruining my lifee.. Every time I shave which is probably every 2 days ... I Get RAZOR BUMPS. INGROWN HAIRS. W.E U WANNA CALL THEM. Well they usually happen after 2days that I shave weird huh? well yeahh I really hate this problem because I can't **NEVER** Be 100% clear from this... I can't never have a clean smooth shave always needs to be a bump UGH! but yeahh so far I'm using BP FOAM. which is good i mean i JUST started using it.. so IDK. but is deff helping it by reducingg redness and size of bump. This is soo streessful everytime I shave and have some bumps around my jawline it hurts like crazy so i try too be XTRA careful. AHHHH WHATT CAN I DOOO????? IMMM TIREDD ! PS: My derm told me if nothing topical works I have to get LASER HAIR REMOVAL to help control this problem.. Yeah I guess is that SEVERE? :< SMH.... ANYYY HELP?

MemberMember
(@phoenixbleu)

Posted : 05/11/2010 10:24 pm

Sooo I've been dealing with this issuee for the pastt IDont even remember howw longg but long enough to be ruining my lifee.. Every time I shave which is probably every 2 days ... I Get RAZOR BUMPS. INGROWN HAIRS. W.E U WANNA CALL THEM. Well they usually happen after 2days that I shave weird huh? well yeahh I really hate this problem because I can't **NEVER** Be 100% clear from this... I can't never have a clean smooth shave always needs to be a bump UGH! but yeahh so far I'm using BP FOAM. which is good i mean i JUST started using it.. so IDK. but is deff helping it by reducingg redness and size of bump. This is soo streessful everytime I shave and have some bumps around my jawline it hurts like crazy so i try too be XTRA careful. AHHHH WHATT CAN I DOOO????? IMMM TIREDD ! PS: My derm told me if nothing topical works I have to get LASER HAIR REMOVAL to help control this problem.. Yeah I guess is that SEVERE? :< SMH.... ANYYY HELP?

I'm so happy I got to your post. I suffered the worse case of razor bumps. African Americans tend to get it the worst. Message me, i'll give you the full run down on how to eliminate it once on for all. I've been searching for 2 years for a solution spending thousands of dollars on products that don't work.Message me your ethnicity, what products you use to shave, and your shaving techniques, that way I can help you better. I just found out what works and i've been ingrown free for 2 months after i found out what I was doing wrong.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 3:14 am

orr you could openly discuss it to help a lot more people with the same issue's.

just a thought

MemberMember
(@phoenixbleu)

Posted : 05/12/2010 10:15 am

want2beme said:
orr you could openly discuss it to help a lot more people with the same issue's.

just a thought

Lol so true.

Here is the link to the article that help. The Mens Room

Hope this helps cuz it sure helped me. And the girls love my new cut

MemberMember
(@phoenixbleu)

Posted : 05/12/2010 10:17 am

But before you try it out. Let the razor bumps heal by taking the hair out and let your facial hair grow out a few days. Exfoliating regularly helps.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/12/2010 1:04 pm

cheers :)

i do this anyway as i learnt the hard way, clean shave f's my skin up

MemberMember
(@keviinx09)

Posted : 05/12/2010 2:03 pm

Thanks guys for the repliess ! so far i'm still breaking out from shaving is really pissing me off. i cant stand this.. everyone says that my acne problem is where my jawline is where i get all the razor bumpss i cannot stand this anymore.. :(

MemberMember
(@nolimits)

Posted : 05/12/2010 5:23 pm

Ive noticed globbing on a bunch of cream with vitamin E and Aloe helps the bumps, do it RIGHT AFTER you shave and leave it on there for like an hour or so, just glob all the cream on there and let the nutrients sink in

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:39 pm

Moved to the Shaving board.

MemberMember
(@realtalk)

Posted : 05/12/2010 7:43 pm

try an electric shaver. I use to be the same way til I switched now everything is allll good

MemberMember
(@keviinx09)

Posted : 05/12/2010 8:33 pm

I'm Deff trying an electric razor ! thankk u!! :)

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 05/12/2010 9:26 pm

This has been the bane of my existence (besides acne) for a LONG time now. I'll share my latest regimen.

#1 - Fill your sink with hot water...leave it.

#2 - Jump in the shower, wash your face and neck with whatever soap/cleanser you feel comfortable with.

#3 - Dry off, except your face and neck. Lather up some Kiss My Face Fragrance Free Moisture Shave, and apply it to your face and neck.

#4 - Get a Bump Fighter Razor, and very carefully shave with the grain using the lightest strokes* you can to remove the hair. Rinsing the blade often.

#5 - Rinse your face off, and dry.

Now while this sounds simple, I cannot stress the importance of the * enough, this is THE key to a good shave. Interestingly enough, I had switched to a DE (double edge) razor recently, which was a good and bad thing. The bad being it tore my neck up in it's aggressiveness, but on the on the other end, it taught the proper stroke to use. Everything definitely came full circle, the best I can descibe the proper stroke, is that you just barely scrape the stubble off, and NOT your skin...IT WORKS! One more thing, it doesn't really matter what crap you put on your face after the shave, it will not help with the bumps (in my experience). The damage was already done during the shave, so try out my regimen...

MemberMember
(@realtalk)

Posted : 05/12/2010 9:31 pm

I like the straight electric shaver as opposed to the ones with the three heads on. The three head type of shavers gave me crazy razor bumps, bro. But the straight one, like a Remington or something. AHHHHH. Beautiful.

MemberMember
(@phoenixbleu)

Posted : 05/12/2010 10:27 pm

African Americans and latinos have coarser facial hairs than Caucasians. So cutting the hair below the skin surface is a total no no and thats a fact. Dry electric shavers give you a close enough shave. It looks better than the two - three day stubble sexy shave look girls go crazy for now. The Andis T-Outlinner is the one I use , with great results. It cuts the hair very close, keep my face looking fresh. Exfoliate after every shave is key. Try this exfoliator St ives Apricot Scrub . Not the one for acne skin thats too irritating. Before you jump in to try this. YOU MUST GET RID OF YOUR INGROWN HAIRS FIRST!! I cannot stress that part. Take them out from under the skin but don't pluck them out. Try this product twice a day if you have ingrowns its the best on the market. Made for African Americans that suffer the worst cases of ingrown hairs. Bump Stopper2 sold on Amazon.com. Apply a good amount. My experience with this product has been great. It does not burn you skin, feels like lotion and removes ingrowns. It tends to peel the top layer of you skin, but no worries thats how it works.

Remember Moisturizing is Key Always keep your face moisturized. Upon research I found that Lavender was used in War War I and II to heal wounds. Aloe is also recommended so I found this all natural moisturizer by makeup artist choice and boy has it done wonders for my skin. Aloe & Lavander jelly. A warning is that it tends to make your skin a bit dry so use it as a night moisturizer or add jojoba oil to it and use it as your day.

Hope this help.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/14/2010 3:55 am

phoenixbleu said:

African Americans and latinos have coarser facial hairs than Caucasians. So cutting the hair below the skin surface is a total no no and thats a fact. Dry electric shavers give you a close enough shave. It looks better than the two - three day stubble sexy shave look girls go crazy for now. The Andis T-Outlinner is the one I use , with great results. It cuts the hair very close, keep my face looking fresh. Exfoliate after every shave is key. Try this exfoliator St ives Apricot Scrub . Not the one for acne skin thats too irritating. Before you jump in to try this. YOU MUST GET RID OF YOUR INGROWN HAIRS FIRST!! I cannot stress that part. Take them out from under the skin but don't pluck them out. Try this product twice a day if you have ingrowns its the best on the market. Made for African Americans that suffer the worst cases of ingrown hairs. Bump Stopper2 sold on Amazon.com. Apply a good amount. My experience with this product has been great. It does not burn you skin, feels like lotion and removes ingrowns. It tends to peel the top layer of you skin, but no worries thats how it works.

Remember Moisturizing is Key Always keep your face moisturized. Upon research I found that Lavender was used in War War I and II to heal wounds. Aloe is also recommended so I found this all natural moisturizer by makeup artist choice and boy has it done wonders for my skin. Aloe & Lavander jelly. A warning is that it tends to make your skin a bit dry so use it as a night moisturizer or add jojoba oil to it and use it as your day.

Hope this help.

great post! thanks for all that. bump stopper sounds interesting, when ever I shave I get great irritation and bumps. literally its horrible. so I use a clipper and havnt been able to clean shave for ages.

I didnt know the electric shavers with 3 heads where bad! no wonder that after i shaved with it it gave me a great deal of pain and huge lumps. so bad that i went to the gp and he wanted me to take an anti biotic to help with the swelling... :(

I didnt! and over the next few weeks once i plucked out all the ingrowns, my skin returned to normal. still red and patchs of hair missing...attractive! not.

I need to buy a beard trimmer like the t outliner (but i am UK based.)

also i noticed people saying dont use gilette shaving foam etc, well whats best?

bump fighter razer? where do i get one of these?!

here are the ingridients for the kiss my face shave stuff

Aqua, Potassium Myristate*, Sodium Myristate*, Propylene Glycol, TEA Stearate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Olea Europaea (Olive Oil), Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Juice, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Allantoin, Lecithin, Extracts of Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), Alchemilla Vulgaris (Lady's Mantle), Saponaria Officinalis (Soapwort), Equisetum Hyemale (Horsetail), Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Salvia Officinalis (Sage), Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange Flower) and Arnica Montana, Hydroxyethylcellulose+, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Benzoate

*Derived from vegetable oils +Plant source

is that ok to use then?

sorry for all the questions. i just need to nail this shaving once and for all

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 05/14/2010 4:27 am

Aqua, Potassium Myristate*, Sodium Myristate*, Propylene Glycol, TEA Stearate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Olea Europaea (Olive Oil), Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Juice, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Allantoin, Lecithin, Extracts of Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), Alchemilla Vulgaris (Lady's Mantle), Saponaria Officinalis (Soapwort), Equisetum Hyemale (Horsetail), Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Salvia Officinalis (Sage), Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange Flower) and Arnica Montana, Hydroxyethylcellulose+, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Benzoate

is that ok to use then?

You could probably find these supplies at Amazon. I haven't had a problem with the KMF Moisture Shave, and my face is extremely sensitive. I'm also trying to nail this once and for all, and share any advice or regimen that works.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/14/2010 5:25 am

is that ok to use then?

You could probably find these supplies at Amazon. I haven't had a problem with the KMF Moisture Shave, and my face is extremely sensitive. I'm also trying to nail this once and for all, and share any advice or regimen that works.

cheers will hunt for it.

if i don't want to shave clean though with a razor, do i need to use some form of cream or foam to clipper with?

I use the clipper end of the new wilkinson sword quattro titanium shaver. seems to do alright even though its intended for side burns.

its does however take about 40 mins to shave lol

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 05/14/2010 3:09 pm

want2beme said:

[Edited link out]

interesting !

Seems awfully expen$ive! Lots of companies make HUGE claims! Going back real quick to your shaving issues, if the clipper works best for you, stick with it! I just think that 40 minutes is way TOO long to try to look decent using your trimmer. I've had shaving issues ever since I started shaving, and this is definitely one tough nut to crack! I do believe that I've come up with a regimen that's gentle enough for anyone to shave. I've had a myriad of problems over the years, and have made some tremendous progress in just the last week. I will keep you updated. Existing bumps are finally starting to subside, and they were BAD, large, inflamed, deep, and fuckin' sore! It's only been taking me about 30 minutes from shower to shave. One more thing, I only shave every other day, with hopes of being able to comfortably do this every day without incident. That is my ultimate goal, also with the hope of being able to help others out...I feel your pain, brothers!

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 05/16/2010 4:54 pm

To the original poster, I went through this too when I first started growing facial hair. The only solution I had was to grow out my facial hair for a few weeks, then just shave normally after that. This lets your hair learn to grow out of the follicle properly, reducing future ingrown hairs.

If you pluck out ingrown hairs, it'll be a short-term solution, but when that hair grows back again you could have the same problem. So my advice is to grow out those ingrown hairs, assuming you only have a few. Just release the tip of the hair and let it grow out for awhile. Then later when it's healed, you can shave again.

MemberMember
(@shaty)

Posted : 05/16/2010 6:45 pm

yeah, bump fighter razors work well for those annoying ingrown hairs i get or skin irritation from regular blades. go check out the reviews on amazon or googel they're solid

MemberMember
(@flapjack)

Posted : 05/19/2010 5:39 pm

yeah, bump fighter razors work well for those annoying ingrown hairs i get or skin irritation from regular blades. go check out the reviews on amazon or googel they're solid
MemberMember
(@keviinx09)

Posted : 05/22/2010 3:00 pm

it was all in the blade! TRIMMER IS THE KEY! thank u guyss soo muchhhh! :)

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 05/12/2012 7:21 pm

So I bought the Andis T-outliner to try just using a trimmer om my face and neck hair instead of a wet shave. OW. My face burns and feels pretty irritated after using that trimmer. It seems to have got a decently close shave, but my face is burning like hell. I tried using it dry on my beard hair as that is what I thought you were supposed to do with trimmers? Are you supposed to apply anything to your face before using a trimmer on your face?

Like this trimmer basically feels like a normal hair clipper, with all the guards taken off. Meaning that it vibrates a ton and bounces around on your skin which makes it hard to control, the metal heats up after awhile, and it feel irritating to the skin to me.

Is there something I am missing here in how to use this in the place of shaving? I found this to be just as irritating or more irritating then when I wet shaved with a mach 3. Maybe I will get less ingrown hairs from this, but my face feels on fire right now, like the trimmer scratched up or made tons of small cuts on my face.

MemberMember
(@ify01)

Posted : 03/18/2019 4:45 pm

Wow, I also suffered from the same things years ago. Then I had to try all sorts before things began shaping out for me.

It's harder when there are many solutions but no quick fix!

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 09/16/2019 10:43 am

Tips:

1. Shave "with the grain" (direction of hair growth, WTG)

2. Light touch

3. Never shave over the same area twice. If you really need to, apply more moist lather over the area before making another pass.

4. Use styptic pencil for any nicks, or a shave balm after.

Years ago I began using a straight razor and found that really helped. The issue with modern cartridges is they have way too many blades and that causes irritation. A traditional straight razor is only one blade and won't get clogged because you just rinse off and it's good as new. There can be a large upfront cost ($300+) for the razor, leather strop, and brush, etc. But if taken care of, that one razor will last you a lifetime or more. My blade has over 2,000+ shaves and looks brand new and going strong.

The number of blades doesn't really give you a better shave. It's more of a marketing thing. A properly honed and stropped straight razor will give you a cleaner, closer shave with each stroke than a multiblade catridge any day of the week, and with less irritation, no matter how thick your beard is.

There is a steep learning curve, but it's a skill and nostalgic experience. But straight razors really do give the best shave with minimal irritation provided you have good technique. Straight razors are wickedly sharp though, far sharper than a surgical scalpel. But that's good because you're much more likely to cut yourself with a dulled blade than a super sharp one, as odd as that sounds. You don't want any tugging of the hair going on. The blade should just slice right through effortlessly.

One common test is the "hanging hair test". If you glide the blade over your arm hair, without the blade even touching the skin, if the razor is slicing hairs off in mid-air, then that helps you get an idea of the keenness of the edge and usually is good to go.

Most blades are about 3 inches long and so cover a larger area with each stroke. One key is to keep the angle of the blade at about 30 degrees to the skin. The trickiest part is going over the curvature of the chin and maintaining that angle with light touch. You'll get the hang of it though.

Watch the good videos out there. With a good hollow-ground blade you can hear the whiskers being sliced off. Like a singing noise. As many people say, "it's like buttering toast". Good luck.