Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghostunit

I am going vegeterian in two weeks.

You think I can manage to spend $50-60 a week ? I want to start saving now until college starts.

I want to be a full-time in college, thus, I must quit my job and focus on school. I am trying to save a lot to continue to eat my diet or I might ask my parents to help out a little bit ^_^

That's the reason why I work, to eat healthy. Instead of spending $220-230 a week on foods.. I want to bring it down to $60.

How many meals does vegeterian usually eat?

Are there any bodybuilders vegeterian out there? ^^

I am considering buying brown rice powder.. or pea powder for my workout.

This is the diet I am thinking of buying as a vegeterian-

Nuts/seeds

Leafy greens

Fruits

Vegetables

whole grain ( not too much )

Meat ( only chicken breast! -occasionally- )

beans/legumes

extra-virgin olive oil

extra-virgin coconut oil

Are these oil acceptable for vegetarian?

Edited by EddieE

Good luck!! I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now.

I have discovered a few tips about eating healthy and cheaply:

Garlic Kale -- For lunch I can buy 1 large bunch of kale for $1.50. I slice 6 cloves of garlic and sautee it for about 2 minutes in the pan with olive oil before adding the kale leaves. I toss the kale leaves until they are all warm -- but not soggy. They still remain crunchy and fresh. So the entire cooking process is about 4-5 minutes. Quickly remove from heat and put contents on your plate. Add salt and a little white pepper.

Black bean & Cucumber Sandwiches -- 1 can black beans smashed with 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley. Salt & white pepper. Smash and mix together. Put the bean patee between two cucumber slices. Voila. (Make sure the can of beans are preservative-free)

Lentil Soup -- Any color of lentils cooked with water. When you turn off the heat, wait 5 minutes and add fresh baby spinach leaves. Add curry, cumin, salt and white pepper.

Edited by Dotty1

-

Edited by Guest

What's the point really? You don't have to go vegetarian to lower the amount you spend on food.

I am looking for a part-time job where I can work less than 20 hours. Thus, I will make much lesser than I am making now. So I really need to spend less. And being a vegetarian is the way to go because is cheap and very healthy :)

Edited by EddieE

Good luck!! I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now.

I have discovered a few tips about eating healthy and cheaply:

Garlic Kale -- For lunch I can buy 1 large bunch of kale for $1.50. I slice 6 cloves of garlic and sautee it for about 2 minutes in the pan with olive oil before adding the kale leaves. I toss the kale leaves until they are all warm -- but not soggy. They still remain crunchy and fresh. So the entire cooking process is about 4-5 minutes. Quickly remove from heat and put contents on your plate. Add salt and a little white pepper.

Black bean & Cucumber Sandwiches -- 1 can black beans smashed with 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley. Salt & white pepper. Smash and mix together. Put the bean patee between two cucumber slices. Voila. (Make sure the can of beans are preservative-free)

Lentil Soup -- Any color of lentils cooked with water. When you turn off the heat, wait 5 minutes and add fresh baby spinach leaves. Add curry, cumin, salt and white pepper.

I love lentils! They are the best type of bean.

I am certainly going to try those recipes.

I love kale too! So nutritious.

You really want to go vegetarian, yet eat chicken? Chicken is possibly one of the least healthy meats as far as nutritional value goes; red meats and fish are much better for you and are even better for building muscle. They have more cholesterol, but if you don't have a history of high cholesterol, some cholesterol intake is actually good for you. They are expensive, but I think they're well worth it.

You really want to go vegetarian, yet eat chicken? Chicken is possibly one of the least healthy meats as far as nutritional value goes; red meats and fish are much better for you and are even better for building muscle. They have more cholesterol, but if you don't have a history of high cholesterol, some cholesterol intake is actually good for you. They are expensive, but I think they're well worth it.

I might consider red meats and fish. ^_^ Thanks.

Oh and I eat chicken breast which is the best source of protein of all meats. :)

Edited by EddieE

where did you hear about red meat being healthier than chicken? The general consensus is that red meat is the worst of the meats.

He's right about fish though. If you want cheap, healthy fish - buy canned sardines in water or olive oil. Sardines, Olive oil or water, and salt should be the only ingredients. I prefer olive oil for taste - it's good for you too. They don't farm any sardines. Anything you find will always be wild caught and therefore rich in Omega 3s.

Also good because they're low on the food chain so very little risk of mercury contamination.

Eddie the question is do you want to go vegetarian honestly??

It is going to be difficult and there is nothing wrong with meat.

I can buy ten chicken breasts for ten euro and 2 salmon fillets for 5 euro

All of this meat is free range,wild, or grass fed.

Drop the whey and save a lot of money, you dont need it to build muscle.

Btw red meat isnt unhealthy at all, but most market meats are.

Try buy fillet steak or venison or lamb.

Rich in Zinc, B vitamins both fantastic for acne.

Edited by AdamDolce10

The quality of red meat depends entirely on how the animal was raised. Grass fed beef is healthy. Grain fed cows who have been pumped full of antibiotics are not.

But good luck finding grass fed anything nowadays. Just because something says "organic" on it DOES NOT mean its grass fed or even necessarily healthy.

I think you will spend even more as a vegan. I did.

Thats very true you will need to spend more to eat more calories that you wont get from meat

-

Edited by Guest

The FDA stated that red meat and chicken are "marinated" in their own feces after being gutted and put into those packages for shipping. They marinate in the feces about 24-48 hours. This is why the health officials have asked for the meat to be rinsed when arriving at the stores.

It should be cleaner if you rinse it at home.

Also, it was found that 30% of meat is "riddled with tumors or runny pus sores" because veterinarian care is denied. Wasn't it only last year that the health officials came to the conclusion that eating tumors and runny sores that are properly cooked are not detrimental to health?

So according to US health officials, eating meat is a win-win situation. :)

I had horrible cystic acne deep into my thirties. Every day I'd wake up to red painful pustules all over my face, back and chest. I'd been to numerous dermatologists, used dozens of different creams, lotions, ointments, cleansers etc. Absolutely NOTHING worked. I finally went to a Chinese herbalist. He asked me what my favorite foods were. I said I liked milk and cereal, buttery baked goods, ice cream sundaes and cheese on everything. My favorite foods were Thai, Indian and Mexican dishes. I was working in a bakery at the time. He told me I was allergic to something I liked to eat and judging by the severity of my acne, it was something I ate frequently. He said it was obvious; I am allergic to dairy products. I am also very allergic to spicy red chili. I went cold turkey and stopped eating all dairy and red chili. Almost immediately, my skin cleared up. A person's body grows from the inside out. Nothing you apply to the outside of your will cure acne until you treat the cause on the inside. If I have even a drop of chili, I will break out with a huge, red pimple. Any butter or dairy at all will cause a painful bump near my mouth. Cleansing your body of allergens will result in clear skin. I think you are on the right track to examine your diet and eliminate the toxins. I will be different for each person but that is the place to start.

Hi Eddie, nothing to do with acne ... just regarding working through college, I worked part time all the way through undergrad and grad school. Undergrad I worked in the student financial aid department ... I ended up with all sorts of small obscure grants that REALLY helped financially, that I never would have known about if I hadn't been working in that campus department. Lots of inside $$$ info there! Anyway, just a tip, if you're planning to work through college anyway. Good luck!

I think I will just try to buy cheap food. I said I am going vegeterian because the diet I want is similar to a vegeterian diet.

I want to add replace beans for chicken breast... or at least try to eat less meat.

Because the chicken I buy cost $4.99 per lbs, whereas the beans cost $1 per can.

I think I will save a lot if I cut whey protein, and try to eat less chicken breast... or I might replace that for red meat.. or canned fish. What ever is cheaper.

Hi Eddie, nothing to do with acne ... just regarding working through college, I worked part time all the way through undergrad and grad school. Undergrad I worked in the student financial aid department ... I ended up with all sorts of small obscure grants that REALLY helped financially, that I never would have known about if I hadn't been working in that campus department. Lots of inside $$$ info there! Anyway, just a tip, if you're planning to work through college anyway. Good luck!

I wish I could work at campus department. It's not easy to find a good part-time job where I can work less than 20 hours per week. I think I am going to start applying on the internet.

You're lucky to work in the student financial aid department! lol

Canned fish is a great option. Canned sardines and wild caught salmon are insanely healthy and affordable. I have been including servings of these two foods in particular in my diet for the last couple months and I have been healthier than ever. I get anywhere from 1-3 grams of the omega-3s DHA and EPA every day from this alone. To hell with fish oil supplements!

Also the best thing to do is check the local sales flyers of all the grocery stores around your area. Take note of which vegetables and/or meats are on sale at a place and then eat that for a week. I see organic broccoli on sale, bam I eat organic broccoli for a week. The next week I'll see a deal on Kale or something, bam eat that for a week.

Not only does this save you money but it adds lots of variety to your diet and prevents you from eating the same thing for too long.

if you work 20 hours a week or more and are a full time student living on your own you can get food stamps. its about a 150 dollars a month which is a lot of food.

if you work 20 hours a week or more and are a full time student living on your own you can get food stamps. its about a 150 dollars a month which is a lot of food.

I don't live on my own. :|

I am considering to be a full-time student. I want to finish with all this faster.

I want to add replace beans for chicken breast... or at least try to eat less meat.

Because the chicken I buy cost $4.99 per lbs, whereas the beans cost $1 per can.

I guess if money was the issue, the first place I would start is

to stop paying the store to cut my chicken for me. There's a

lot of eatin' in one whole chicken, and cutting one up only

takes a sharp knife and a bit of practice. Plenty of white meat

for main courses, other meat for side dishes, soup from the

bits and pieces, and when you can't get anything else off,

throw it all in the pot to make chicken stock.

wild caught salmon are insanely healthy and affordable

Fresh wild salmon "affordable"? Man, are you buyin' that off the back

of a truck in the alley, or what? :D

Here in Seattle, the first salmon of the Copper River run is

flown in via private Lear jet and the plate it goes on costs

>$150.

Have you heard of Bill Pearl? A really famous vegetarian bodybuilder. You can google him to learn about his accomplishments.

Hey Eddie, been a while.

Going vegetarian is a fantastic idea. I am not strong enough to let go of my steaks.

Do make sure you research how to get your full proteins. It is possible with a completely vegetarian diet, but you must learn to how to make a complete protein.

I believe peanut butter on wheat bread is one way to do it. Go light on the peanut butter though, it is very fatty/oily.