Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maxxie

How do you prevent scarring?

I had a breakout a few days ago that hasnt healed as well as i would like it to and im just a bit worried it might scar. Its at the top of my cheekbone and i think there isnt alot of skin elasticity there. I already have a couple of hypertrophic scars on my jaw (also not alot of skin elasticity) but this breakout is in a more obvious place and i really want to avoid scarring,

So what do i do? And how long will it take to see if it works or if it will scar?

I had a breakout a few days ago that hasnt healed as well as i would like it to and im just a bit worried it might scar. Its at the top of my cheekbone and i think there isnt alot of skin elasticity there. I already have a couple of hypertrophic scars on my jaw (also not alot of skin elasticity) but this breakout is in a more obvious place and i really want to avoid scarring,

So what do i do? And how long will it take to see if it works or if it will scar?

from most important to least important -

1. stop worrying about it / decrease stress

2. get plenty of sleep

3. eat fruits and vegetables

4. take a multivitamin

5. retinoid cream

and after one year, do a TCA cross (if necessary)

Edited by accutaneuser78

you cant prevent scars its genetics.

total prevention isn't possible. If you're going to scar, you're going to scar.

But there are ways to minimize the scarring and promote healing.

I should have added to that list --DON'T SMOKE--

The only true way to prevent scarring is to treat existing acne and heal that first.

If you are at that point in your life I recommend getting a great derm with a lot of discussiona nd questions and follow up.

I recommend mirroring Dan's regimen with your own products that work for you. Good luck.

I agree with accutaneuser78 and sportsguy23; avoid new acne by using some type of regimen, don't pick at any of the acne, take some vitamins that are especially good for skin. It'll minimize the chances of scarring

You can prevent scarring by no picking and avoiding the inflammation. In order to avoid inflammation you should use Salicylic Acid for the spot (4% SA) and if it is hard to deal with, take Ibuprofen (twice a day for a few days, NOT always).

That is my advice.

you cant prevent scars its genetics.

I woulden't say it's genetics. My entire family has beautiful glowing skin, no history of acne or scars at all... I just got lucky :rolleyes: But I do smoke.

Edited by freakb1hh