Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
persuadedflower

How has regular exercise affected your acne?

Exercise is supposed to reduce stress and balance hormones, which is supposed to reduce or even eliminate acne issues.

So, my question is -- How has having a exercise routine helped your acne issues?

I have this friend who is prone to mild acne, and she joined a track team and her acne cleared up.

I think it has a big affect

same happen with one of my friends

he started running marathons and stuff and his face cleared up all quick same applied with his red marks

and i know he s not into all the acne medicine out there cause he clearly states it

i think it has to do with blood circulation and releasing toxins as weelll

u bet your ass it did! when u sweat all the toxins get cleared outa ya body, but make sure to replace this sweat with drinking lots and lots of water =)

It makes me break out I think. I don't know what's causing this.

Exercise will not break you out if you properly clean your skin. Remove makeup before if you are a female (or if you're a boy who wears makeup, who knows) and take a shower right after your workout. You shouldn't have any breakouts from exercise if you stick to good hygiene.

Acne is typically a hormonal problem.

Exercise balances hormones.

It also fights depression that people experience because of their acne. Endorphins. <3

I really encourage you all to start an exercise routine. Taking 20 minutes or so out of your day to exercise is not going to be that difficult. Everyone has an extra 20 minutes to spare.

It can only help you, unless you don't remove makeup first or if you don't shower after.

Any more experiences with the potential of exercise for skin problems?

Some improvement. Nothing massive. I still enjoy exercising though. I break out in tiny whiteheads if I don't shower right after, which is kind of annoying since I usually like to get some protein in first.

I've always cleansed after exercising. I don't think it's something from the outside. I can clearly see the inflammation increase. I was thinking it's either glucose (working out on low carbs) or testosterone. It can be a coincidence though, will keep experimenting. I usually break out on the second day after working out. Then again, I have avoided working out for a month and still broke out.

It also fights depression that people experience because of their acne. Endorphins. <3

I really encourage you all to start an exercise routine. Taking 20 minutes or so out of your day to exercise is not going to be that difficult. Everyone has an extra 20 minutes to spare.

It can only help you, unless you don't remove makeup first or if you don't shower after.

Ahh, but alas, it's not that easy for everyone.

For about a month straight, I'd get 8 hours of sleep, wake up, go to work, come home, eating a quick dinner, take a shower, go to bed and start over again. This was because of my work schedule. That 20 extra minutes was the difference between a shower and being gross (I work in fast food currently) or eating and not eating. I also don't fare well with less than 8 hours.

Luckily, my schedule has leveled out and I've managed to re-incorporate it into my regular routine. But still, it's one of those things that's much easier said than done.

It's also difficult to exercise when you're depressed simply because...you're depressed. Chances are, you don't have the energy or motivation to get out and move. When I was depressed way back when, I used to try exercising for an hour a day for months on end - and it was sweat inducing stuff, too. It never helped. Ever. At the end of the day, I still felt like putting a bullet through my brain. So, once again, it's not that simple. Sure, a mild mood problem may be uplifted by some exercise, but if it were that simple, nobody would be depressed because all they'd have to do is a little exercise.

As far as acne is concerned, I don't think it could hurt unless you're doing massive body building or something. Exercise has never seemed to directly affect my skin one way or the other. I've gone without exercise and with it. My skin condition never worsened or got better. It didn't clear up until I changed my diet. Even now, I don't always work out regularly and it doesn't impact my skin.

For others, this may vary as it can help lower blood glucose levels and generally strengthen the overall state of your body.

My only advice is to perhaps stop oversimplifying potentially complex situations.

Yeah exercise is a big plus - I just started getting back into a routine a week ago and I've been feeling awesommeee :D Skin seems to be doing better too woot!

I agree that this is not the surefire way to clear your skin (and I doubt a one-size-fits-all solution exists). I've known athletes with severe acne.

However! It is great for working through stress, and if you are in shape, you feel better about the way you look, which is a great thing when you are constantly picking yourself apart in the mirror. Exercising makes no difference to my skin, but I keep it up for the positive impact on my body image. =]

Ahh, but alas, it's not that easy for everyone.

For about a month straight, I'd get 8 hours of sleep, wake up, go to work, come home, eating a quick dinner, take a shower, go to bed and start over again. This was because of my work schedule. That 20 extra minutes was the difference between a shower and being gross (I work in fast food currently) or eating and not eating. I also don't fare well with less than 8 hours.

Luckily, my schedule has leveled out and I've managed to re-incorporate it into my regular routine. But still, it's one of those things that's much easier said than done.

It's also difficult to exercise when you're depressed simply because...you're depressed. Chances are, you don't have the energy or motivation to get out and move. When I was depressed way back when, I used to try exercising for an hour a day for months on end - and it was sweat inducing stuff, too. It never helped. Ever. At the end of the day, I still felt like putting a bullet through my brain. So, once again, it's not that simple. Sure, a mild mood problem may be uplifted by some exercise, but if it were that simple, nobody would be depressed because all they'd have to do is a little exercise.

As far as acne is concerned, I don't think it could hurt unless you're doing massive body building or something. Exercise has never seemed to directly affect my skin one way or the other. I've gone without exercise and with it. My skin condition never worsened or got better. It didn't clear up until I changed my diet. Even now, I don't always work out regularly and it doesn't impact my skin.

For others, this may vary as it can help lower blood glucose levels and generally strengthen the overall state of your body.

My only advice is to perhaps stop oversimplifying potentially complex situations.

I'm not saying it's easy for everyone. I understand having a busy schedule. I am saying -- for those who DO have twenty minutes to spare or more -- they could at least CONSIDER adding exercise into their daily routine.

If motivation is a problem, they don't have to do it alone. They could exercise with a friend or two. If you or someone you know owns a Wii Fit, it is a great way to stay motivated.

I am most definitely not oversimplifying anything. I didn't say it cured acne. I definitely do think that it will have an enormous beneficial impact on the body as a whole, and MAY reduce acne severity. It's worth a shot and people should exercise anyway whether they have acne or not.

Last night, I worked out for a little bit and then I put my face over boiled water to steam my face. I woke up this morning and found red bumps all over my face that were probably harbored in my skin. Three papsules, a white head and a cyst. AWFUL ...I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them FAST .I think exercise actually aggravates my skin.

Last night, I worked out for a little bit and then I put my face over boiled water to steam my face. I woke up this morning and found red bumps all over my face that were probably harbored in my skin. Three papsules, a white head and a cyst. AWFUL ...I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them FAST .I think exercise actually aggravates my skin.

Did you cleanse your skin immediately after?

Yep, I washed my face like two hours later. The bumps were small when I started to exercise and then after that they grew in size and became painfully hot.

Yep, I washed my face like two hours later. The bumps were small when I started to exercise and then after that they grew in size and became painfully hot.

Two hours later!? She asked if you washed your face immediatly after. You need to wash your face as soon as your done exercising so all that excess sweat and oil don't sit on your face.

Two hours later!? She asked if you washed your face immediatly after. You need to wash your face as soon as your done exercising so all that excess sweat and oil don't sit on your face.

Because it's advised to wash one's face a maximum amount of two times a day, do you think one should make sure that they excercise directly before they are going to wash their face?

Last summer I started running/jogging 5-6x a week. I live in florida so 45 minutes even just WALKING outside will send you into a sweat in the summer. It definitely helped - within a month my skin was noticeably clearer - the number of actives were reduced at least by half and the ones I got were not as severe I think.

then August came, and school started, and work started.... ack :/

I have not had a regular exercise routine in a while. I look like hell, but I only have 3 days until schools out and I plan to start back up again this summer.

Because it's advised to wash one's face a maximum amount of two times a day, do you think one should make sure that they excercise directly before they are going to wash their face?

Um, yeah it is definitely crucial to wash your face after sweating. The maximum amount of two times a day is only if you do not sweat on that given day. If you are engaging in some activity that will create sweat then you don't need to worry about the maximum rule of 2 times a day. Also, if you aren't using a harsh cleanser then it should not matter as much. Don't use a harsh cleanser ever! I don't care how bad your skin is! I had severe acne. I know what some of you go through. Harsh cleanser means MORE irritation. You don't want more irritation. You want your products to be extremely gentle and you want to concentrate on the internal problem.