Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

The dreaded "coming off BCP breakout" :(

I just recently went off fthe birth control pill... well about 6 months ago and I am just starting to get the "breakout" now :(. It's mostly on my cheeks and I am getting cysts around my mouth/jawline area. Right now I am using evening primrose oil and I just started using dong quai... I was told dong quai is balancing and purifies your blood. Just wondering if anyone has tried these supplements? I really want to get my hormones in balance.... my diet is fine because I got that under contol while I was on the pill and stoped breaking out... well I was about 95%-100% clear depending on the time of the month. It's totally my homrones now that are causing the issues now... I have to focus on balancing them, any tips??

I just recently went off fthe birth control pill... well about 6 months ago and I am just starting to get the "breakout" now :(. It's mostly on my cheeks and I am getting cysts around my mouth/jawline area. Right now I am using evening primrose oil and I just started using dong quai... I was told dong quai is balancing and purifies your blood. Just wondering if anyone has tried these supplements? I really want to get my hormones in balance.... my diet is fine because I got that under contol while I was on the pill and stoped breaking out... well I was about 95%-100% clear depending on the time of the month. It's totally my homrones now that are causing the issues now... I have to focus on balancing them, any tips??

I have spent the last 8 months dealing with the same thing. I came off Yaz and broke out about 2 moths after. The past 8 months have been horrible. I tried Dan's regimen, then I tried a strict no dairy, low-glycemic index diet, then Carley's, and finally I went to the dermatologist because nothing really helped clear the acne. My dermatologist prescribed me isotretionion (generic accutane). I have to wait 2 more weeks to take 2nd pregnancy test before actually starting 6 month course. I am not advising anything, as I am not a doctor, but I can share my experience. Hope your acne is not as persistent as mine is.

I have spent the last 8 months dealing with the same thing. I came off Yaz and broke out about 2 moths after. The past 8 months have been horrible. I tried Dan's regimen, then I tried a strict no dairy, low-glycemic index diet, then Carley's, and finally I went to the dermatologist because nothing really helped clear the acne. My dermatologist prescribed me isotretionion (generic accutane). I have to wait 2 more weeks to take 2nd pregnancy test before actually starting 6 month course. I am not advising anything, as I am not a doctor, but I can share my experience. Hope your acne is not as persistent as mine is.

I'm sorry you are going through this too :( I dont want it to have to come down to going on accutane. But it's getting REALLY bad again, I cant even believe how bad it is. I was pretty much clear like a month ago and now I've just exploded. I get these itchy spots on my face and then about a quarter sized red patch appears in a matter of seconds. THEN I get a cystic pimple in that spot and I can seriously watch it as it grows, it's THAT fast. It f#cking pisses me off SOOO much. I've worked SO damn hard to get my skin clear with diet and then this happens?? I just keep getting more and more.. my acne has never been like this before.

I'm sorry none of the other regimens worked for you. I wish you luck on your accutane journey! Let me know how it goes. By the way dont you have to be on the birth control pill to go on accutane??

what pill were you on and how long for? have you researched vitex? I am looking into it right now (I just went off Ortho Tri Cyclen lo about a month ago)

I was on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for 8 years, then I went on the lo verion for 3 months before I quit.

I am actually going to start taking vitex. I'm going to buy some tonight. I am wondering if the Dong quai is actually breaking me out because it has gotten much worse since I started it.

Well good luck!!!... I hope you can figure something out. Maybe the vitex will help - I've seen a lot of posts on this site from girls who took it after coming off bc and it sounds like it could help. I am still crossing my fingers that I control my post-bc skin with topical/diet... but vitex will be my next step if those don't work.

Keep us posted on how it works and best of luck to you!

I take evening primrose oil, 1000 mg three times a day.

It's helped me a lot, although, I am currently still on the pill.

I highly recommend sticking with a healthy diet, because I noticed I break out whenever I cheat. I think the biggest thing to avoid is sugar, followed by fatty/greasy foods.

Aspirin masks and jojoba oil have also made a big difference for me

6 months? That makes me paranoid.

I stopped taking Modicon 3 months ago and it hasn't bothered my skin at all. I was hoping the after math could be avoided and was thinking I'd be alright. Now I'm worried that it's still possible! I was only on it for a year though.

I have noticed one thing since coming off of it. My periods are extremely painful and about a month ago, my hair started falling out in clumps, which apparently is called Telogen Effluvium and can be caused by ceasing BCP.

Have you considered eating a Paleo or Raw food diet? A mostly raw food diet cleared me up.

Try fasting for a day or two, then eat a diet consisting of unprocessed meat, fruits and veggies. Don't eat ANY grains, legumes, processed sugars, dairy or soy to see if it helps. Such a diet should be good enough to balance your hormones.

I take evening primrose oil, 1000 mg three times a day.

It's helped me a lot, although, I am currently still on the pill.

I highly recommend sticking with a healthy diet, because I noticed I break out whenever I cheat. I think the biggest thing to avoid is sugar, followed by fatty/greasy foods.

Aspirin masks and jojoba oil have also made a big difference for me

I actually had amazing results with EPO while ON the pill, but I dont think it's strong enough to keep things in balance now. I WISH jojoba oil worked for me.... it makes me breakout... although sometimes I wonder if it's just the purging that's happening and i just dont give it enough time to do it's thing. I relaly want to use jojoba. I seem to be the only one sensitive to it.

Thanks for the advice :) I hope your skins stays clear.

6 months? That makes me paranoid.

I stopped taking Modicon 3 months ago and it hasn't bothered my skin at all. I was hoping the after math could be avoided and was thinking I'd be alright. Now I'm worried that it's still possible! I was only on it for a year though.

I have noticed one thing since coming off of it. My periods are extremely painful and about a month ago, my hair started falling out in clumps, which apparently is called Telogen Effluvium and can be caused by ceasing BCP.

Have you considered eating a Paleo or Raw food diet? A mostly raw food diet cleared me up.

Try fasting for a day or two, then eat a diet consisting of unprocessed meat, fruits and veggies. Don't eat ANY grains, legumes, processed sugars, dairy or soy to see if it helps. Such a diet should be good enough to balance your hormones.

Ugh I know, I though I had gotten off scott free too :(. But then just this past little while I've been breaking out so bad. The weird thing is I got acne while I was on my fourth year on the pill... so it obviously didnt keep my hormones in balance long enough. My naturopath doc told me that the longer you are on the pill, the more congested your liver gets with those fake hormones... thus causing acne. So the best thing to do when coming off the pill is to take some liver cleansing herbs and hormone balancing herbs. I didnt do this :(.... dont know why I was so stupid... maybe caus eI thought I couldnt possibly break out that bad again. Anyway please dont be stressed out about breaking out again haha cause that will just make you break out. Just keep doin what you're doing maybe you wont have the same reaction I did :).

Thanks for the advice :).

I came off dianette (for the second time) just 7 weeks ago so I am very nervous at the moment as well, because what happened to me last time I came off it was pretty horrific.

I started taking vitex immediately because I know it works. My advice is to use a good quality brand (I use the Kira brand from Boots) or a tincture. Also, it works best to take it immediately on waking. My herbalist told me this, so my mum did it (she takes it for hot flushes) and noticed a huge improvement. I keep mine on top of my alarm clock so I reach for it every morning! ;)

first thing every morning.

Some things I am also trying which MIGHT help you, but it's trial and error with me too, is turmeric for the liver. (My nutritionist also told me to drink warm water with lemon first thing to cleanse the liver, and I have also heard good things about milk thistle).

I take rhodiola rosea for adrenal support.

I drink two or three mugs of spearmint tea a day as it's supposed to be an anti androgen.

I am also on spironolactone.

Most of that is trial and error but I know from experience that spiro and vitex both definitely work.

tdot, i haven't been on BCP since i was about 19, but i have tried EPO on a few occasions and have always ended up with huge jawline cysts.it might be an idea to go off of all the hormone balancing herbs/oils and just stick to your diet to see what happens. it could be that those supplements aren't suitable for your current hormone imbalances.

Hey I started taking some of your advice this weekend :), I'm drinking lemon water in the morning and I am taking Vitex as soon as I wake up. And also three times a day.

I really hope you dont breakout :(, let me know how it goes in the weeks to come!

Thanks for the advice :).

I came off dianette (for the second time) just 7 weeks ago so I am very nervous at the moment as well, because what happened to me last time I came off it was pretty horrific.

I started taking vitex immediately because I know it works. My advice is to use a good quality brand (I use the Kira brand from Boots) or a tincture. Also, it works best to take it immediately on waking. My herbalist told me this, so my mum did it (she takes it for hot flushes) and noticed a huge improvement. I keep mine on top of my alarm clock so I reach for it every morning! ;)

first thing every morning.

Some things I am also trying which MIGHT help you, but it's trial and error with me too, is turmeric for the liver. (My nutritionist also told me to drink warm water with lemon first thing to cleanse the liver, and I have also heard good things about milk thistle).

I take rhodiola rosea for adrenal support.

I drink two or three mugs of spearmint tea a day as it's supposed to be an anti androgen.

I am also on spironolactone.

Most of that is trial and error but I know from experience that spiro and vitex both definitely work.

WOW... my skin is EXPLODING! I have not had a breakout like this.... well since my acne was at it's worst. There are a SO many little bumps all over beside my mouth/jaw area, they pop up HOURLY... it wont stop. I cant BELIEVE how bad this is.... and it's not just the small ones, sometimes the small ones turn into HUGE ones. I used to be able to keep track of my breakouts to see which zit was new and which one was old, but they are coming so fast I cant even tell!! I feel like curling into a ball and hiding out.

I am ALMOST starting to regret going off the pill... this is insane. Actually what I regret is ever going ON the pill... if I ever have a daughter she will NOT be going on the pill. I HATE THIS!!

WOW... my skin is EXPLODING! I have not had a breakout like this.... well since my acne was at it's worst. There are a SO many little bumps all over beside my mouth/jaw area, they pop up HOURLY... it wont stop. I cant BELIEVE how bad this is.... and it's not just the small ones, sometimes the small ones turn into HUGE ones. I used to be able to keep track of my breakouts to see which zit was new and which one was old, but they are coming so fast I cant even tell!! I feel like curling into a ball and hiding out.

I am ALMOST starting to regret going off the pill... this is insane. Actually what I regret is ever going ON the pill... if I ever have a daughter she will NOT be going on the pill. I HATE THIS!!

I've been taking Vitex for about 3 months now, and just switched to Femaprin (search femaprin vs. vitex in google, and click the list to the "soulcysters pcos forum". That will kind of explain why I switched to a highly potancy version of Vitex.

I've been taking Vitex for about 3 months now, and just switched to Femaprin (search femaprin vs. vitex in google, and click the list to the "soulcysters pcos forum". That will kind of explain why I switched to a highly potancy version of Vitex.

Update: I stopped taking the Dong Quai... I think it was making me kinda crazy... and my boobs were SOOOO SORE. I think it was too estrogenic for me. Ouch. My mood is better since being off of it, and I seem to love my boyfriend more LOL.... I was getting relaly short and annoyed with him while I was on the Dong Quai... wonder what that was about.

Heya, just wanted to jump in because I experienced a similar reaction after coming off birth control (Brenda) last year. My skin had been pretty good for year while I was on the pill. I decided to come off the pill however when my mood was becoming far too erratic to deal with.

At first I had no serious break out- just the average few hormonal pimples most females experience. Of course this could not last, 5 months after stopping the pill acne started really flaring up again. Throughout the time I was on omega 3, evening primrose oil, silica and multivitamin tablets, although I still had the acne reemerging, I do think these helped the quality of skin as best it could while having the pimples- my skin looks healthy despite the acne- does that make sense?

Anyway I've since gone back on the pill at the start of this year, yasmin, and the first 3 months were the most horrible in years, im in my forth month and im still getting a couple cystic pimples. I saw my dermatologist last week and he's decided its time for me to try roaccutane (australia), as my acne has been reoccurring despite antibiotic and birth control treatment and hes worried dark scarring on my olive/medium complexion.

I'm not saying its a route you should consider- because I am not someone yet convinced of roaccutane, I'm really scared about starting the treatment. But if you are considering following a more natural approach I think trying to re-balance your own hormonal levels through supplements and etc is really problematic. I would love to follow this approach also as I am usually an advocate for all things natural but this is such a complex system and I think its something you should try and experiment with in conjunction with a professional.

All the best! I hope you find something that works for you, I guess that's what we're all trying to do huh. Its such a fine balance.

Edited by jas_d

Did someone mention Calgary?! I live in SE Calgary! we should have a get together and discuss what the hell we should do now that we're off birth control and having these horrible breakouts! Atleast you guys can relate!

Heya, just wanted to jump in because I experienced a similar reaction after coming off birth control (Brenda) last year. My skin had been pretty good for year while I was on the pill. I decided to come off the pill however when my mood was becoming far too erratic to deal with.

At first I had no serious break out- just the average few hormonal pimples most females experience. Of course this could not last, 5 months after stopping the pill acne started really flaring up again. Throughout the time I was on omega 3, evening primrose oil, silica and multivitamin tablets, although I still had the acne reemerging, I do think these helped the quality of skin as best it could while having the pimples- my skin looks healthy despite the acne- does that make sense?

Anyway I've since gone back on the pill at the start of this year, yasmin, and the first 3 months were the most horrible in years, im in my forth month and im still getting a couple cystic pimples. I saw my dermatologist last week and he's decided its time for me to try roaccutane (australia), as my acne has been reoccurring despite antibiotic and birth control treatment and hes worried dark scarring on my olive/medium complexion.

I'm not saying its a route you should consider- because I am not someone yet convinced of roaccutane, I'm really scared about starting the treatment. But if you are considering following a more natural approach I think trying to re-balance your own hormonal levels through supplements and etc is really problematic. I would love to follow this approach also as I am usually an advocate for all things natural but this is such a complex system and I think its something you should try and experiment with in conjunction with a professional.

All the best! I hope you find something that works for you, I guess that's what we're all trying to do huh. Its such a fine balance.

Thanks for sharing your story! GAH! I'm sorry the BCP was as horrible for you as it was for me... I wish you the very best with the accutane treatment. I was supposed to go on it at one point about 4 years ago but I got to scared! The weird thing with me is that my acne started when I was on the birth control pill... but then I was able to control it while on the pill with EPO, fish oil, zinc and B5. BUt now I am trying to get my hormones balanced again.... I think I'm going to give this Vitex a good while before I head out to do anything like accutane.

Good luck with your treatment :).

Did someone mention Calgary?! I live in SE Calgary! we should have a get together and discuss what the hell we should do now that we're off birth control and having these horrible breakouts! Atleast you guys can relate!

Haha! Yeah I live in SW Calgary, well I guess you could say pretty much downtown, Connaught. Where do you shop for health food?? I go to Community Natural Foods and Planet Organic. Haha we should get together, would be fun :).

Thanks for sharing your story! GAH! I'm sorry the BCP was as horrible for you as it was for me... I wish you the very best with the accutane treatment. I was supposed to go on it at one point about 4 years ago but I got to scared! The weird thing with me is that my acne started when I was on the birth control pill... but then I was able to control it while on the pill with EPO, fish oil, zinc and B5. BUt now I am trying to get my hormones balanced again.... I think I'm going to give this Vitex a good while before I head out to do anything like accutane.

Good luck with your treatment :).

Haha! Yeah I live in SW Calgary, well I guess you could say pretty much downtown, Connaught. Where do you shop for health food?? I go to Community Natural Foods and Planet Organic. Haha we should get together, would be fun :).

I basically LIVE at community natural by chinook station! I spend way too much money there! =S Do you go to school here? That's actually so cool that you live in Calgary!!

Edited by Polska Laska