Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goodz19

3 weeks; help/encouragement appreciated

Hi. Been on the regimen for approx 3 week. Using Dans cleanser and BP and Eucerin moisturizer (burns less than Dans moisturizer but still burns). Im experiencing maybe the worst breakout Ive had in the past 5 years. Im beside myself. All the big red pimples are confined are my mouth/mustache area, except a large knot on my forehead. Im currently using about a pump and a qtr am and pm. Skin is dry, becoming flaky, and red in areas.

I have not seen any improvement whatsoever. My skin texture maybe seems a bit better but there's still a million clogged pores under the skin. Its only a matter of time before these start to sprout up too.

This is my 2nd attempt at the regimen. I tried about 5 years ago and had to quit, for many of the same reasons. My derm put me on Bactrim, Sulfa wash, and Klaron and it was the best my skin had looked since i got acne 20 years ago (34 year old male here). Unfortunately, that stopped working after an extended period of time. I was off the Bactrim and just using the Sulfa wash and Klaron, and spot treating w/ Acnomel.

This was keeping me 85% clear. Lots of clogged pores, 4-5 red inflammed pimples at any given time. I went in search of something better to get to 100% clear. I read so many great reviews about Carleys so about 6 weeks ago I started that. That did nothing but turn me into an oil slick and cause cystic breakouts. I survived 3 weeks.

I then turned to back to the regimen after (again) reading all the reviews and success stories. I know its supposed to get worse before it gets better, i guess. But this is maybe the worst its been, in my eyes. Thats another issue--Im seeing my primary care physician tomorrow as I am having extreme difficulty in controlling my OCD in analyzing my face in the mirror a hundred times a day and feeling anxiety and depression as to how bad I look.

Ive been off the Bactrim for over a year and I convinced my derm's office over the phone to write me a script for another round. I had bloodwork done and all is good. My derm previously advised that even though my acne consists basically of numerous clogged pores and several inflammed pimples at any 1 time, she was referring me to a different derm for an attempt at accutane for "persistent acne, non-responsive treatment." Ive been on a whole roster full of different topicals in my life, and the rest of the orals except 'tane. Allergic to the -cycline family.

I really wanted to this regimen to work to avoid accutane. An initial breakout on 'tane along w the redness, not to mention all the other potential side effects, would just about set me over the edge with my current feelings of depression/anxiety, etc. I avoid people and going places now as it is.

Any advice or words of encouragement is appreciated. I understand its only 3 weeks, that it gets worse before it gets better, that I should give it 3 months. Its just becoming more difficult every day and not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanx ev1. Sorry for whining but I could use any help I can get. Im becomin desperate to get my life back and feeling the way I was just 6 short weeks ago. The support network of the members here is amazing and Im glad that at least here, im not alone. Tomorrow in the real world is another story but at least there's someone thats got your back in cyberspace.

Hey there! It's totally and completely fine to vent, it's not whining. And my words of encouragement are to stick with the regimen. It may be really bad right now but you NEED to give it a chance to work. Acne won't go away on it's own, or quickly. You already know that it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, and you're probably right that the clogged pores will emerge but you have to soldier through it because if you give it a chance, and this is the regimen for you, then they will fade away, and your skin will get better. Just stick with it, have a constant mantra or goal that you'll go through with the regimen every day.

If you ever need to vent, there's always someone here to listen! Good luck, and I hope that it all works out. Don't lose hope.

Hey there! It's totally and completely fine to vent, it's not whining. And my words of encouragement are to stick with the regimen. It may be really bad right now but you NEED to give it a chance to work. Acne won't go away on it's own, or quickly. You already know that it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, and you're probably right that the clogged pores will emerge but you have to soldier through it because if you give it a chance, and this is the regimen for you, then they will fade away, and your skin will get better. Just stick with it, have a constant mantra or goal that you'll go through with the regimen every day.

If you ever need to vent, there's always someone here to listen! Good luck, and I hope that it all works out. Don't lose hope.

Thanx for the super speedy reply :) I definitely want to stick it out but Im not sure my mind and my OCD/anxiety will let it. Will be moving in w/ the girlfriend in a month or so. Its nice now, I can sit in my room and hide when I want to be alone. None of that in a few weeks :)

Are you currently on the regimen? How is it working for you?

Well I definitely think that hiding isn't the best, as acne/anything else really shouldn't rule life (although at times it can seem like it does), so maybe the move in with your girlfriend will help with that.

Hopefully the OCD/anxiety won't affect you too much!

And yes, I currently am on the regimen. I've actually been on it before (over the summer) but stopped because of sports and general busyness, but I'm starting up again as I saw results. It's going well so far, I just took it up again like a week ago, and the current acne I had before is clearing up. I'm optimistic although I am a bit lazy and miss doing it some times haha. Right now all I'm dealing with is flakiness, I'm guessing in the coming weeks I'll have to deal with a bit more but I'll deal with that then!