Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robert

Salicylic acid gets no respect

I've used most every home peel on the planet (enzyme, glycolic, mandelic, lactic, TCA, and salicylic) and have made the following observations:

Enzyme peel: Leaves the skin baby smooth but doesn't dissolve scar tissue

Glycolic: Can cause burns if left on too long; risk of stubborn hyperpigmentation; minimal effect on pitted scars

Mandelic: Extremely drying; visible flaking of the skin; good for hyperpigmentation; minimal effect on pitted scars

Lactic: Very gentle as long as not combined with Retin-A; non-drying; good for hyperpigmentation; minimal effect on pitted scars

TCA: Very strong; causes significant peeling; several days "down time"; risk of hyperpigmentation; good for sun damage and other discolorations; mild to moderate effect on pitted scars if used as a peel; potentially significant effect on pitted scars if "CROSS" technique is used.

Salicylic: Strong but doesn't burn the skin in low concentrations; causes minor peeling; no "down time"; low risk of hyperpigmentation; some effect on pitted scars over time, especially if combined with copper peptide creams; dissolves oil in pores and, thus, often obliterates acne

Conclusions: For general exfoliation, enzyme peels and lactic acid are probably the best choices. For treating pitted scars, TCA and salicylic acid are at the top of the list. If active acne is present, salicylic acid tops them all.

So I wonder ... why does salicylic acid get such little mention on this board? I absolutely love my 20% salicylic peel. I wish I had started on it a year ago, instead of wasting my money on glycolic.

I think most people are used to seeing it mentioned in the over-the-counter acne medication forum.

I think it works well too, although I have only been using it in my facial wash. I'm wondering if I should try the peel now?

Robert

What about red marks/hyperpigmentation as the main concern on oily skin that still has occasional breakouts?

Do you think Salicylic peels are the way to go?

I really like the glycolic peel I did yesterday (30% Glycolic), but glycolic dosen't seem to dry my skin out at all.

I have good results from salicylic spot treatments for blemishes, so maybe my oily skin would love salicylic peels.

I definately want to control any ongoing acne, but I am trying to get rid of red marks on my cheeks and jaw.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

smile.gif

You may want to try the aspirin mask to start.

I use it weekly.

Take about 8 aspirin tablets(uncoated), add filtered or distilled H20. Put it on your face, and use the thick part--you'll know what I mean when you see it. When I put it on, I spread it in a circular fashion while I'm applying it. Let it dry, then take a damp cloth and remove the excess. Try not to get the aspirin in your eyes, or it will sting.

Rinse off with warm water.

You'll be amazed at how smooth your skin feels.

I'm not sure if salicylic acid will help with red marks because lactic and (mainly) TCA took care of that problem for me. Perhaps Richard will comment on that. But if you have active acne, salicylic acid is quite possibly the way to go.

Yes, salicylic acid seems to help with shallow scars over time. I've read testimonials to that effect. That's one of the reasons I switched to it. Denise (from this board) used it with Super CP Serum and had pretty good results. I think of it as weak TCA in terms of effectiveness and peeling. The people at Skin Biology could have chosen any exfoliator to combine with their copper peptides, and they chose 2% salicylic acid. Many of their customers have used it successfully, although I think 2% is too weak. I'm using 20% twice a week along with Trireduction Basic.

I think SA could be the ticket, I only get cystic acne when i'm on bp, otherwise I just get a lot of white heads and small, and not discolored bumps wwhat do u think?

I'm not sure if salicylic acid will help with red marks because lactic and (mainly) TCA took care of that problem for me. Perhaps Richard will comment on that. But if you have active acne, salicylic acid is quite possibly the way to go.

Yes, salicylic acid seems to help with shallow scars over time. I've read testimonials to that effect. That's one of the reasons I switched to it. Denise (from this board) used it with Super CP Serum and had pretty good results. I think of it as weak TCA in terms of effectiveness and peeling. The people at Skin Biology could have chosen any exfoliator to combine with their copper peptides, and they chose 2% salicylic acid. Many of their customers have used it successfully, although I think 2% is too weak. I'm using 20% twice a week along with Trireduction Basic.

I got my 20% peel from http://www.naturalskinshop.com/salicylic.asp

They have a 35% peel also but the 20% stings pretty good, and so I'm leery of anything stronger. Since starting this peel, my minor acne has pretty much disappeared. I apply two layers, twice per week.

A lady on eBay is selling a 70% salicylic peel. Yikes. She said it is buffered "slightly." I told her it was battery acid. I don't think she liked that. :-)

Yes, I use copper peptides with it. CP Serum did very little so I switched to Trireduction Basic (cream). The cream absorbs much better and does not break me out one bit.

I was wondering the same thing, why SA peels didn't get much coverage on this board. I actually ordered a 15% peel from http://www.platinumskincare.com. They also have a 3% mini-peel, but considering most 2% solutions do nada for me, I thought I'd try the 15%. It should be here in a few days. I have active acne, so I'm hoping this will kill two birds with one stone (scars and acne). If I can remember to do so, I'll post my results. :smile:

I have been using the skinbiology products for almost 2 weeks now.

I use CP serum, Exfol serum and trireduction basic.

It seems to be helping my red spots fade a little(I wish faster, but I am impatient).

It also seems to be keeping my acne at bay.

I have a 30% glycolic peel from LaraChem.

I have only done it once so far, but good results.

Maybe a 20% salicylic peel would be good too.

Maybe I could alternate them for optimal results on mild acne and bad red marks, any thoughts?

:think:

I am a little wary of TCA any suggestions on where to get a low % so that it isn't too strong?

Loganwood's lowest is 12.5%, that sounds too scary to me.

Mdawg - I have terrible responses to BP too! I get cystic acne on BP and my oily skin gets such terrible surface dryness after one application of any strength BP that it makes my complexion flaky and dull. I won't use any BP products anymore, no matter how low the %.

After all of these years of the same response to BP, I know better now.

It works great for lots of people though.

Perfect Complexion sells a great 8% TCA solution called TCA Complex. Their 18% salicylic peel burned me a little, though, so I switched to the 20% formulation, which my skin likes better.

The stinging subsides after about three minutes.

A lady on eBay is selling a 70% salicylic peel. Yikes. She said it is buffered "slightly." I told her it was battery acid. I don't think she liked that. :-)

Yes, I use copper peptides with it. CP Serum did very little so I switched to Trireduction Basic (cream). The cream absorbs much better and does not break me out one bit.

It is a prescription topical. It is a retinoid, which means it is a Vitamin A derivitive(sp?). It works really well for some people, but for me, it made me really oily and gave me cysts, just like you with BP.

I apply the Trireduction everywhere, though I tend to go a little thicker in the scarred areas.

My skin is looking phenomenal. The 20% SA has definitely cleaned out my pores. I ate a whole bag of potato chips last night--which always breaks me out by the next morning--and today my skin looks perfect.

I love this stuff!

Excessive peeling of the skin is potentially bad because it causes faster cell turnover, i.e. cells dividing. There is evidence that process ages the skin by shortening the telomeric DNA. Do you wanna look like an old, old wo/man?

Update:

I'm cutting back my use of the 20% salicylic peel to once per week. Twice per week is a bit of an overload and doesn't give better results.

Hey Robert,

I'm curious how the SalAc Peel you're currently using compares to the one from Perfect Complexion (18%). I tried the 18% from Julie as a sample and it was pretty strong, but the worst part was that it just evaporated as soon as I opened the lid. Can't seem to hold it on to a Q-tip for longer than 10 sec. before it evaporates and just leaves a white residue.

I'm looking for a SalAc peel that is more spreadable.

I used Julie's 18% salicylic also, but it burned me a little. I love her TCA Complex, though.

The 20% SA from http://www.naturalskinshop.com/salicylic.asp doesn't evaporate as quickly and doesn't burn me. It's really a great peel. (I'm not affiliated with them.) I apply it with a skinny gauze pad. It's pretty strong but easily tolerable.

Hey Robert,

i so agree with you about the glycolic..while i get some peeling it gives me red spots that then take awhile to fade...I would love to be able to use salicylic acid but a 2% wash made my face puffy (I suspect i am allergic/or aspirin sensitive which SUCKS!!)>I have just used the 6% TCA from mendy...it seems pure and mild. My skin actually tolerated it better than unbuffered 30% glycolic acid which gave me a tiny pink mark that is still fading. Check out my thread I started on my 6% TCA experience..since you have used these peel your posts really inform! Thanks! I personally believe people react differntly to diff acids and should choose something that gives them good reults without excessive irritation. I applied the 65% very lightly, i should have used a cotton pad, but my skin is only very mildly pink.

THANK YOU agian for your advice

wow, first time i was reading about salicylic acid in a high concentration. i was wondering why i never saw anybody talking about it. aha never helped me, and they say SA goes more deeply in the pore.

since i have bad comedonic acne on my face, neck, shoulder, chest and back, maybe i should try a higher concentration.

my skin is used to 11% glycolic acid, what do you think i should try? it is very pricy though!

so anyone of you who used SA, did it improve you pores? less blackheads?

please let me know, this could be the answer for me.

thanks