Notifications
Clear all

After using the dermaroller for nearly 1 year

MemberMember
(@illusion-of-ugly)

Posted : 04/26/2010 6:32 am

Been dermarolling for nearly a year using a 1.5mm roller, every 5-7 weeks. The last time I did it was 3 weeks ago, and................

I've come to the conclusion that although it has helped in some ways, it's also messed up my face. Some scars look better and more filled in. yet overall my face looks more jacked. Seemed like it was working well for first several months. Then it just as a whole declined for the worse. Pigmentation seems off in some areas, there appears to be several new scars that I hadnt had before, and 1 of my scars that wasnt so bad in the past has now even became a raised scar, which now makes a scar that was hardly a problem in my past, the ultimate 3d scar. my cheeks right under my eyes are becoming permanently red while the area under my eyes looking pale. It seems like I'm now at a huge platou and have been for awhile as far as positive results go, or that my face is possibly getting continuously more worse the more I dermaroll?

Really on the fence as to whether I should keep going.....

If I stopped I wouldn't know if had done more if it would have gotten any better.

And if I keep going I dont know if I am just permanently damaging my skin in some way

Actually, I'm starting to just think it would be smartest if I just called it quits with dermarolling.

MemberMember
(@illusion-of-ugly)

Posted : 04/26/2010 6:41 am

I think this person makes a good point which relates to my bad experience.

Lol a post dedicated to me. Well the only reason i spoke against it, is cause i actually used it and yes It got worse, though some portions might have pumpleped up, but you know its never easy to tell. Now I never said needling doesn't work, I just said the dermaroller was like the worst version of it. Reason being that you are not only needling the scar area but also healthy tissue, which with enough times or a bad dermaroller or anything will fuck up the healthy tissue, specially when the needle gets caught up inside the skin and pulls a tiny chunk out while rolling, thats never fun. So which is why I said if you really feel like trying it, make sure you issolate the needling only to the scar, to avoid any problems, I think the stamp is a decent alternative or just get tiny needles and stick them in there lol, but you better be real careful if you do that, push in too deep... that won't be fun.
MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 04/26/2010 7:50 am

I think this person makes a good point which relates to my bad experience.

Lol a post dedicated to me. Well the only reason i spoke against it, is cause i actually used it and yes It got worse, though some portions might have pumpleped up, but you know its never easy to tell. Now I never said needling doesn't work, I just said the dermaroller was like the worst version of it. Reason being that you are not only needling the scar area but also healthy tissue, which with enough times or a bad dermaroller or anything will fuck up the healthy tissue, specially when the needle gets caught up inside the skin and pulls a tiny chunk out while rolling, thats never fun. So which is why I said if you really feel like trying it, make sure you issolate the needling only to the scar, to avoid any problems, I think the stamp is a decent alternative or just get tiny needles and stick them in there lol, but you better be real careful if you do that, push in too deep... that won't be fun.

yeah i cant help but agree. i found when i needled, i didnt like the results too much, when i combined needling with the tca peel (so effectively a tca cross), i very quickly stopped needling and only used the peel. hitting only the scar seems like the best thing, why would u even want to target your good skin anyway !

i guess all you can do is take it as a good learning curve buddy and lets hope other people see it. good post and all the best !

MemberMember
(@jimhouse)

Posted : 04/26/2010 8:16 am

Have you been using LED's/Topicals and been taking your vitamin C?

I believe it's possible I have also recieved further very minor scarring from the roller but it is to early to judge at the moment whether the improvements outweigh the damage. Will re assess in the next month or so how my skins looking. My raised scar on my nose seems to have lowered significantly after just one week since my 2nd roll which is positive signs. I am thinking of switching to a dermastamp but am unsure of what depth to use. I have always worried about whether or not to much rollingg would eventually destroy the skin but it doesn't sounds to promising from what you have explained. Perhaps you want to consider giving your skin a good break from rolling for atleast 3 months and see what it is looking like after that.

MemberMember
(@kforkate)

Posted : 04/26/2010 10:06 am

that's why i never looked into rolling, just needling, and i'm still getting grief from that. i've had success with my scars. no major leveling out, but definitely softened them and changed the shape. the needling i did on 3 scars last week has baffled me because the areas are still so bright red and by this point they are usually a pink color. perhaps they bled too much or i hit some good tissue around the scar tissue, i don't know. but i think i'm going to take a break from this as well and focus on my pigmentation issues with peels over the summer. the red marks i constantly get from needling (not to mention recent break out) are bothering me more than indentations right now.

MemberMember
(@ensi)

Posted : 04/26/2010 10:36 am

it sucks that it didn't work well for you.

maybe you just rolled too often, every 5-7 weeks for a year-that's quite often. especially that you said it worked well for the first several months. just let your skin relax for a while. and don't do anything harsh or "thinning" for a few months. I would even reconsider the peels. I think maybe it would be good idea to use some light topicals, moisturisers, vitamin C serum, jojoba oil, spf!!! and get some good supplements, maybe vitamin C as well, a lot of veggies, water and sleep. and get back to some treatments later. I also agree that maybe rolling healthy skin is not too good. I was planning to do dermarolling (and maybe one excision/punch graft/elevation) but maybe I'll try individual needling. it's all so confusing...

good luck

MemberMember
(@ensi)

Posted : 04/26/2010 10:46 am

sorry, I've just realized that kforkate mentions the peels not Illusion Of Ugly. so except for the peels reference I meant all the rest.

MemberMember
(@taurus_girl)

Posted : 04/26/2010 11:00 am

Do you think that it makes a difference doing a DIY dermaroller and having it done professionally?

I dermaroll myself at home but maybe this is why we are supposed to be getting this done professionally. When I told the clinic that I dermaroll myself they were horrified (which I expected), they said that the rollers which are easily available on the internet are not necessarily safe.

We are putting ourselves at risk of further scarring by doing it ourselves.

MemberMember
(@ensi)

Posted : 04/26/2010 11:15 am

I think you are right Taurus Girl, moreover, when you buy stuff on the internet you can never be sure of the quality. quote about DermaStamp from " http://www.dermaroller.de/us/dermastamp.htm l":

"We desist from showing pictures of the instrument since copy pirates are waiting to copy us again, as it happened so many times with the original Dermaroller before. Your dermatologist will show you the little instrument"...."The needle sharpness and needle arrangement guarantee easy pricking with minimal penetration forces <50 grams. The DermaStamp is only available to licensed skin professionals."

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 04/26/2010 12:31 pm

I think you are right Taurus Girl, moreover, when you buy stuff on the internet you can never be sure of the quality. quote about DermaStamp from &quot; http://www.dermaroller.de/us/dermastamp.htm l":

Yeah, but seriously, do you think it's that hard to make these friggin' needling devices? Sure there can be some not so good ones, but most are good and work pretty much the same.

dermaroller.de and the other Dr. Fernandes (I forget their websites) are marketing geniuses. I'm not sure if they still sell for that much, but I remember when these sold for $500. Do you really think such product is worth that much?

MemberMember
(@taurus_girl)

Posted : 04/26/2010 1:24 pm

I think you are right Taurus Girl, moreover, when you buy stuff on the internet you can never be sure of the quality. quote about DermaStamp from &quot; http://www.dermaroller.de/us/dermastamp.htm l":

Yeah, but seriously, do you think it's that hard to make these friggin' needling devices? Sure there can be some not so good ones, but most are good and work pretty much the same.

dermaroller.de and the other Dr. Fernandes (I forget their websites) are marketing geniuses. I'm not sure if they still sell for that much, but I remember when these sold for $500. Do you really think such product is worth that much?

Yeah its all a rip-off, that includes the copy rollers that we get off ebay (although I get mine from Nova Clinic), but it's not just as simple as sticking needles on a device. Need to be certain that the device uses quality, clean needles at the right size, which don't bend too easy etc.

If we're buying imitations then we can't be sure of the quality, therefore we are taking a bigger risk.

But for most people, myself included, can't afford to throw money on a professional use. Clinics in the UK charge about 450 per treatment and if I was paying that every time, I would be left very disappointed and out of pocket.

MemberMember
(@scoobie_do)

Posted : 04/26/2010 3:56 pm

Maybe it was the frequency???

I've only rolled 4 times in the past year, once with a 1mm, and 3 times with a 1.5mm.

My average "rest" was 3 months. I've had nice steady results, nothing

to do cartwheels about. But "steady". Nothing negative. I'm now going to rest 7 months before rolling again in September.

MemberMember
(@illusion-of-ugly)

Posted : 04/26/2010 5:02 pm

Yeah I applied large doses of vitamin c and aloe vera gel daily. Also taking atleast 6grams of vitamin c a day, among various juices and good eating. Also I do have LED's, and have been using them on and off with just about no visisble results from doing so. Most of my healthy skin now looks damaged and uneven. Heres to hoping they even out!

MemberMember
(@scoobie_do)

Posted : 04/26/2010 6:59 pm

were all in the same boat with scarring,

hope something works for you illusion.

scoob

EDIT: illusion, have to say in a afterthougt, we all applaude you

for your diligence to improve yourself. Rolling every 5-6 weeks,

i have to tip my hat to you. Something will "click" for you and

and it will improve. Really. Keep your chin up and keep evaluating,

searching, etc.

MemberMember
(@scarsrevil)

Posted : 04/27/2010 1:17 am

I personally believe dermarolling is not a great idea considering you can use lancets to accurately and individually needle each scar. Dermarolling may be effective for many people but needling healthy skin doesn't sound like a great idea when you can use a lancet to needle only the scar. I've been needling my indented scars for the past month 1/2 and while I haven't seen a major improvement you don't have to worry about making your whole face red and inflammed, only the scar(s) you needle. I use 33 gauge lancets which I would say penetrate approximately 1.5 mm. Why use a roller when you can be extremely precise with an individual needle? Anyways, the needling is supposed to promote an overproduction of collagen/scar tissue whatever you want to call it to fill in the scar. Why do this process to the healthy skin surrounding the scar, you only want the scar to produce excess collagen/scar tissue to fill in, not the surrounding skin. Anyways, these are just my thoughts.

Also, with the lancets I use it can cause blood to flow like a river for a few seconds if you hit a main vein. Usually, I can tell if I'm piercing a vein because it hurts approximately 2 x more than when I don't hit a vein. The blood flows a lot more after feeling this pain compared to not hitting 1. Also, the pain from a 1.5 mm dermaroller or 2.0 dermaroller must be pretty bad compared to using an individual needle.

A 100 bag of lancets is approximately the same price as a dermaroller on ebay. I personally don't notice the lancets going bad after piercing the skin many times but some people like to change to a new needle after every few pierces. I believe individual needling has many more advantages compared to dermarolling such as pricing, much more accurate (only needle the individual scar that you want to, compared to a large area which includes healthy skin) and healthy skin is left alone, no need to sterilize the needles when you're done (just throw away). I suppose .5 - 1 mm dermarollers are probably fine since they don't pierce the dermis. But the "medical grade" 1.5 + dermarollers, in my opinion should be avoided because you would be piercing the dermis in large areas of healthy skin. I think piercing the dermis results in a better response from needling since the skin repair process is more greatly activated compared to just piercing the epidermis. With a 1.5 + dermaroller you would be piercing the dermis of unscarred skin. Usually injuries that occur below the dermis result in some form of scarring, it may not always be noticeable though. Why risk it though? Anyways, sorry for ranting. I'm just not fond of the idea of piercing healthy skin when the target, in my opinion, should only be the scar tissue.

It sounds like dermarolling has messed up some people's faces, and I hope this can help others to use individual needling over the dermaroller. The worst that can come from needling individual scars is you make the individual scars worse. The worst that can come from dermarolling is making scars worse and creating new scars in the process, i.e. destroying healthy skin.

MemberMember
(@smoothmove)

Posted : 04/27/2010 2:34 am

ScarsRevil, I agree.

MemberMember
(@scoobie_do)

Posted : 04/27/2010 12:19 pm

ScarsRevil,

you make some really good points. I've never needled individual scars.

For me only, I have large areas (consider 2/3rds of your cheek area, both sides),

which left my skin damages from dermabrasion. On top of that, some specific

scarring (moderate "craters"). The needling option wouldn't work for me.

It would have to be an avenue that covers a lot of area.

MemberMember
(@451)

Posted : 04/27/2010 8:37 pm

Did you use a new roller everytime you rolled?

MemberMember
(@scoobie_do)

Posted : 04/28/2010 10:22 am

Did you use a new roller everytime you rolled?

I have only used new rollers each time I rolled. Its not intentional to save

money, but the procedue I use to roll is less often than most, just how I

do it and not at all knocking anyone else. I'm a little older than most here

and it just made sense to me. But by rolling less, its affordable to just

use a new roller everytime.

MemberMember
(@451)

Posted : 04/28/2010 2:16 pm

Scoobie,

That is how I have done it also. Roll every 2.5 to 3 months using a new roller each time. I think people experiencing negative effects from rolling might be using the roller too many times. Just a thought.

MemberMember
(@wishingwell2012)

Posted : 05/16/2010 5:23 pm

Hello there :)

I've also had some mixed results to rolling BUT I think this is due to rolling way too frequently in the beginning (3x within a week in Jan and then again in Feb with a 1.5 roller). I have subsequently allowed 8 weeks before my most recent rolling and I intend to wait 3 months before my next session. I don't use a numbing cream and I'm applying topical multivitamin creams for 2 weeks after each session.

I wanted to fill in some mild acne scarring, firm up aging skin on my face and fill in some deep, nasty stretch marks on my boobs. 3 treatments in and the skin on my face is tighter and lifted with smoothed pores and diminished lines. My forehead, however, is still heavily lined and seems to actually be looser with a roughened texture. I rolled this area much more aggressively - this could be why it looks worse. It's early days still but I'm hoping that this is just the old skin being shed.... here's hoping anyway!!

My mild acne scarring has filled in well and is no longer red and other marks are fading too. The really dramatic results, however are on my boobs!! My stretch marks are pretty horrendous - deep grooves that have made the skin very slack. I am astonished but they are filling in - not only that but the skin on my boobs is firming up creating a subtle lifting effect! It's still very early days and I believe it's going to take a long time to see significant results but I just wanted to share my positive experiences of dermarolling along with the negatives. I would recommend cautious enthusiasm, rolling only once every 3 months and assessing results carefully each time. Love and best wishes xx

One

MemberMember
(@echnarcissus)

Posted : 03/16/2011 9:53 pm

Hello there :)

I've also had some mixed results to rolling BUT I think this is due to rolling way too frequently in the beginning (3x within a week in Jan and then again in Feb with a 1.5 roller). I have subsequently allowed 8 weeks before my most recent rolling and I intend to wait 3 months before my next session. I don't use a numbing cream and I'm applying topical multivitamin creams for 2 weeks after each session.

I wanted to fill in some mild acne scarring, firm up aging skin on my face and fill in some deep, nasty stretch marks on my boobs. 3 treatments in and the skin on my face is tighter and lifted with smoothed pores and diminished lines. My forehead, however, is still heavily lined and seems to actually be looser with a roughened texture. I rolled this area much more aggressively - this could be why it looks worse. It's early days still but I'm hoping that this is just the old skin being shed.... here's hoping anyway!!

My mild acne scarring has filled in well and is no longer red and other marks are fading too. The really dramatic results, however are on my boobs!! My stretch marks are pretty horrendous - deep grooves that have made the skin very slack. I am astonished but they are filling in - not only that but the skin on my boobs is firming up creating a subtle lifting effect! It's still very early days and I believe it's going to take a long time to see significant results but I just wanted to share my positive experiences of dermarolling along with the negatives. I would recommend cautious enthusiasm, rolling only once every 3 months and assessing results carefully each time. Love and best wishes xx

One

^ Pics or it didn't happen. jkk.

MemberMember
(@thimothy67)

Posted : 03/16/2020 9:22 am

On 4/27/2010 at 11:47 AM, ScarsRevil said:

I personally believe dermarolling is not a great idea considering you can use lancets to accurately and individually needle each scar. Dermarolling may be effective for many people but needling healthy skin doesn't sound like a great idea when you can use a lancet to needle only the scar. I've been needling my indented scars for the past month 1/2 and while I haven't seen a major improvement you don't have to worry about making your whole face red and inflammed, only the scar(s) you needle. I use 33 gauge lancets which I would say penetrate approximately 1.5 mm. Why use a roller when you can be extremely precise with an individual needle? Anyways, the needling is supposed to promote an overproduction of collagen/scar tissue whatever you want to call it to fill in the scar. Why do this process to the healthy skin surrounding the scar, you only want the scar to produce excess collagen/scar tissue to fill in, not the surrounding skin. Anyways, these are just my thoughts.

Also, with the lancets I use it can cause blood to flow like a river for a few seconds if you hit a main vein. Usually, I can tell if I'm piercing a vein because it hurts approximately 2 x more than when I don't hit a vein. The blood flows a lot more after feeling this pain compared to not hitting 1. Also, the pain from a 1.5 mm dermaroller or 2.0 dermaroller must be pretty bad compared to using an individual needle.

A 100 bag of lancets is approximately the same price as a dermaroller on ebay. I personally don't notice the lancets going bad after piercing the skin many times but some people like to change to a new needle after every few pierces. I believe individual needling has many more advantages compared to dermarolling such as pricing, much more accurate (only needle the individual scar that you want to, compared to a large area which includes healthy skin) and healthy skin is left alone, no need to sterilize the needles when you're done (just throw away). I suppose .5 - 1 mm dermarollers are probably fine since they don't pierce the dermis. But the "medical grade" 1.5 + dermarollers, in my opinion should be avoided because you would be piercing the dermis in large areas of healthy skin. I think piercing the dermis results in a better response from needling since the skin repair process is more greatly activated compared to just piercing the epidermis. With a 1.5 + dermaroller you would be piercing the dermis of unscarred skin. Usually injuries that occur below the dermis result in some form of scarring, it may not always be noticeable though. Why risk it though? Anyways, sorry for ranting. I'm just not fond of the idea of piercing healthy skin when the target, in my opinion, should only be the scar tissue.

It sounds like dermarolling has messed up some people's faces, and I hope this can help others to use individual needling over the dermaroller. The worst that can come from needling individual scars is you make the individual scars worse. The worst that can come from dermarolling is making scars worse and creating new scars in the process, i.e. destroying healthy skin.

Hi.. Thank u so much... You said everything what i hv been wondering for so many months, i have a doubt... If my scar is 3mm wider, should i puncture fully covering whole ditch area or minimum puncture is enough? ... I'm talking about individual needling

MemberMember
(@kitsliv45)

Posted : 03/18/2020 5:18 pm

My pigmentation is messed up from dermarolling 0.5mm by myself. Does anyone know if this is permanent?