Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trottschic

Rachael's Accutane Journey

I am starting Accutane this week, and what better to do than create my own log to detail my journey!

I have had acne all my life. Its always been easily controlled. Tanning (I know, its horrible) always cleared my skin up with a snap of the finger. Not a pimple in sight. That was all changed when I had yet another kid. I thought it would eventually go away, but it didnt. It got worse.

Now, my face and chest is covered in horrible, painful cysts. I wear nothing but shirts that go all the way up to my neck. God forbid I go out without makeup! Ive tried all the topical treatments. I even went to erythromycin and minocycline. All to no avail. My derm and I finally decided it was time to do the accutane. I am already a believer in it, as my sister took it many years ago and has had clear skin ever since!! Making me wait to jump through stupid ipledge hoops is just cruel, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I am extremely excited to begin my journey to clear and beautiful skin! Ill apologize in advance to the pictures you are about to see.

So, I am now in my research phase. No, not researching Accutane (already did that!) But researching how to make the side effects minor. I have read many things about Emu oil. I was just wondering how much you typically spend for it? I havent read anything about exfoliating. Is this a big no no during your accutane treatment?

For you ladies out there on accuatne, did you wear makeup while on it? I know that in the past when my skin has been sensitive, makeup was down right painful to put on! If you do, what works better, liquid or mineral?

Im so excited. I checked in with my derm today to make sure everything was set and ready to go in just 3 days! I dont want any disappoinments!

Since I dont want to do several different logs on differenct websites, ill most likely do all my progress here! I am also trying to lose 20 more lbs! (ive already lost 20!) Im desperately trying to get my pre-pre-pre baby bod back! clear skin and all! Im in for quite the adventure the next couple of months. Ill need all the support I can get!

Getting very excited, and extremely worried! I dont know how the dreaded IB will effect me. Does anyone know how to minimalize this?? Having horrible skin already, I dont think I can take it to get worse! Im thinking about picking up some crazy shifts at work so I dont have to go out anymore! Everyone at my work knows what Im about to go through, so Id probably feel more comfortable there! (I work in a hospital) Any tips or advice would be so appreciated!

I started my accutane! Im extremely nervous about the IB, but i just gotta keep focused about what my results will be AFTER. My derm started me on 80mg a day. I hope it isnt too much, but we'll see!! So now its just a wait and see game.

I love my derm. Everytime i talk to him, i can see his lil eyeballs looking directly at the mts on my face. it makes me believe hes putting them in some sort of trance. hes wooing them to go away!! i choose to believe that over the fact hes probably just thinking, god that must hurt.

its day 3. no side effects yet. every now and then while im at work my vision kinda goes blurry. but than again its in the wee hours of the morning, ive had no sleep, and i wear contacts. so that might contribute something to it.

got a nice new guy on my left temple. but he seems pointy enough where i dont think he will last long. really want to pick at him, but he might like it and stay longer. i appreciate the fact that they like me, but i dont consider them friends. :hifive:

I cant wait for the days where i dont have to wear makeup just to go out into public. I was trying on a new helmet for my bike (yay for motorcycles!) and i felt so bad! My face rubbed off on it! made me feel like crap, but luckily no one noticed. i must have the worlds crappiest makeup. o well. in due time i shall look back and laugh at myself.its really all you can do!

i decided that im glad i was born a girl. After much deliberation of course. If you dont have perfect skin, you want to be a girl. Guys cant cover it up with makeup! yes, they can do the spot treatments from the wife, girlfriend, mom, sis..... but if i were to see a guy in full fledged foundation, blush, and mascara...that would just be wrong. come to think of it, i actually would like to see that. would make for an interesting story!

i just realized that i always seem to get new pimples every time i wake up. So their obviously coming in while i sleep for some odd reason. (didnt know they knew night from day) so if i never slept, would i have clear skin? just a thought. :think:

well on to bed. i got lots of new friends to meet in the morning!

Month 1: 80 mg

Day #4

Well, went to put my makeup on after enjoying a nice long shower. Low and behold, it looks like im trying to put gunk on that sunburnt peeling type skin. It was horrible! But i guess that means its working! i had to switch to my mineral foundation, which appeared alot better on the skin.

Im extremely parched all the time. Im constantly drinking water and my throat is always still so dry. I cant quite figure out how to keep it wet!! My lips arent that chapped as of yet, but Im prepared. Ive got chapstick stashed pretty much everywhere. Car, purse, work, locker, cupboards, bathroom, pockets, etc.

No active cysts at the moment, however I do feel them taunting me below the surface. The very few (like 2) i had on my chest are pretty much gone. I expected them to go first though, considering they were a new development that ive never got before in my life. Hopefully I can start wearing my clothes that arent turtle necks again! woop woop!

My face is starting to feel like its been sunburnt. Its getting sensitive, and actually LOOKS sunburnt around the bridge of my nose. Im wondering if these side effects are happening so fast due to the amount my derm prescribed to me right away. From what Ive read, most start at either 20 or 40. So the way i figure, I either am a whale that needs a huge dosage, or my acne is so bad that a lower just wont make the cut. What do you guys think? Im 160 lbs 5'8''. I just had a baby so that weight is forever coming down, and my derm knows this. Who knows.

My husband is being the ever supportive man that he is. No matter what my skin looks like, he always tells me that I look great. I love him for this. Hes a keeper! I think hes slightly worried about the fatigue and moodiness that is common with accutane, but were looking at the outcome of everything! Hopefully my entire course will be like im not taking anything at all!

Since no one ever seems to leace me replies :cry: I think this has become more of a diary to myself. Go me!

Hiya! I started accutane around April 23rd so it'll be interesting to watch our progress together C:

Good luck!

Thanks for stopping by my log!

My doctor started me at a high dose too (60 mg) and I was less than 100 pounds when he did, so it was like "What? Arugh!" but I haven't had any crippling effects from it yet. And I got the strange, sun-burnt thing too. It looked like it stuck my face in a toaster oven. The redness is a little bit better now, but I still go bright red when I do any sort of activity more physical than blinking.

I only had time to read your latest entry, but my mission tonight when I get home is to read the WHOLE THING. Good luck! :D

Thanks for stopping by my log!

My doctor started me at a high dose too (60 mg) and I was less than 100 pounds when he did, so it was like "What? Arugh!" but I haven't had any crippling effects from it yet. And I got the strange, sun-burnt thing too. It looked like it stuck my face in a toaster oven. The redness is a little bit better now, but I still go bright red when I do any sort of activity more physical than blinking.

I only had time to read your latest entry, but my mission tonight when I get home is to read the WHOLE THING. Good luck! :D

Ok, comforting to know someone else started at a high dose!

good luck with your course! as for side effects and how to make them minimal, I'm not so sure. :confused:

I know fish oil is good for the dryness and many many other things too, so I'm trying to take that.

hope you have a good moisturizer!

and as for the makeup, I wear bare minerals. not daily, every once in a while. but makeup has never hurt my face so I'm not sure about that issue for you.

Day #5

So far so good. Face feel raw when I wash it...I might cut back on that a lil bit. It stings! I received 3 new friends on my right side and 2 on my left. Of course, they came whilst I was sleeping. Darn sleep. It betrays me everytime, yet ya gotta have it. *sigh*

Has anyone got the munchies? I dont know what it is, but i normally eat very healthy. But i just cant stay away from the finer foods in life!! Its horrible, yet o so good. but some good has come out of this awful eating habit. fatty grease. fatty grease will cure any chapped lips and will stay ALL DAY LONG. my lips have never been this smooth! i dont recommend doing it that often though!

I was so close to attacking my face in the mirror. It took every ounce of strength that I had to hold back!! I dont know why i still think that if i pick i could possibly make it look better. After all these years, has it ever looked better after I ravage the hell out of it? nope. but yet, i keep picking. i gotta stop! :naughty:

well, until next time and my next ingenius discovery!

I was so close to attacking my face in the mirror. It took every ounce of strength that I had to hold back!! I dont know why i still think that if i pick i could possibly make it look better. After all these years, has it ever looked better after I ravage the hell out of it? nope. but yet, i keep picking. i gotta stop! :naughty:

These past few days I have felt like doing the same but the scars remind me of what happens if I pick my skin. :injured: Just gotta soldier through it Iguess.

So..

I received a call from my derm. I guess my liver enzymes are over double what they should be. That was for the control draw to see if accutane starts effing with my liver!! (normal range 0-40. mines at 108) I had them redraw and i dont know the results of that yet. :cry:

Im super scared that they will discontinue my prescription. I feel like i just got kicked in the gut. I had such high hopes that this was it. My life was beginning to turn around. Well, that just spit me right in the face. Please, everyone out there, pray to god that it was just a lab error! I need this more than anything. :pray:

I cant go out anymore and have people look at my husband (all tall, handsome, perfect tan skin chilean that he is) than look at me and get this look. I know what theyre thinking! why is he with her? what could he possibly see? i know what i see! acne prone baluga whale. lost city of atlantis; found, on my face.

*sigh*

Dear God,

I know I haven't been the most obedient child. I know I haven't been a perfect mother. I know I haven't always been a doting wife. But I do know that I am not a bad person. I am kind and gentle. I see people for who they are, not what the world wants them to be. (just not myself) I take in strays and give to the poor. I volunteer my time and give to those in need. Please God. Please give me this one thing. Give me the gift of clarity and soften the hearts of those who have the power to do this. Please help me.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

Good news!! It was a lab error! Praise the lord and hallelujah!!!!

Being that I never stopped taking it (shh, dont tell my derm!) I am still on Day #8!!!

I am experiencing TONS of side effects now! My face is literally sunburnt, yet I havent been outside! Its the dardnest thing :cool: I am peeling! Its the gross stringy kind. Anyone know of a really good gentle exfoliator? My whole body seems pretty itchy, but as long as I keep moisturizer on it, its manageable. I have no new cysts, and the ones i do have are all going back to the hell they came from!!! Super stoked about that. Its been a week, no new cysts. Is it possible i skipped the dreaded IB? Am i one of the lucky ones where it starts working right away? hope so!! oh, my nostrils are incredibly dry. I havent gotten any bloody knows, but pinkish snot. and lots more boogers than usual!

I have discovered the accutane dreams!! These dreams are so vivid its crazy. One moment im hiking in my hometown, the next im....ok well i forget but i was there!! i could feel the wind, taste the air, and really feel emotions..all while im sleeping! theyve never been so vivid before. (i cant wait until i have a sex dream...hehe :dance: )

So, without makeup, im still as bad as ever. WIth makeup however, looks better! I think its because the cysts have been receding, the skin looks smoother. Still really hard for me not to pick, but im working on it!

I had a friend tell me at work that my skin is looking really great. Just the boost i needed!! Im constantly what people really think about my skin. (i know, you shouldnt care) but until you have horrible skin, dont make the assumption that you wouldnt care what others thought! its human nature.

Im constantly worried that I forgot to take a pill. I keep a log in my planner and mark the moment i take it, but it still worries me for some odd reason! I want to do everything absolutely perfect!

well, til next time my fellow taners!

Yay! You can stay on the meds! Damn lab error. Yes, one of the side effects that they don't mention in those pamphlets is the endless amount of snot you get. Super sexy.

@HereComesTheSun: Thanks! I love reading your posts, keeps me going! Thanks for all the support!

@kernel.panic: Yay! I was so scared id get booted off. I did have a plan though. Twas a good plan that wont have to be put into action. They never did mention the snot. Or the dreams. I like the dreams. i wonder if i have perfect skin in them....i should remember to look in a mirror next time.

Day #11

So far so good! My lips are still pretty chapped, but nothing that cant be handled with some good ole chapstick. Still peeling on my face, but it does seem to be subsiding a little bit. However, my ears are peeling! I never thought that I would see that day. I have a lil rash on my neck. Its more like dry spots that reddened. Kinda look like a red spotted dalmation. o well. My makeup actually covers it like 90% so you cant even tell. it is very annoying. my face still looks sunburnt, and get really hot, but its totally manageable. my skin is incredibly soft and smooth! still no new pimples or cysts to speak of. they all seem to still be subsiding. I do notice thought the more i touch, the more pronounced the old ones seem to get. so, no touchy.

my wrists got a teeny tiny bit of exzema on them. nothing horrible, i just think i need to use lotion on my body more. you concentrate on the face so much, you forget the rest of you is becoming a raisin as well.

my contacts get extremely blurry at night. I dont know if thats due to the accutane, but its been happening more and more, i can only assume. So, im gonna need to wear my glasses more. ick. o well.

i dont know if theres something wrong with me, or its not working, or what. but i seem to have the most insignificant side effects! everyone else seems to have broken out or something by now. my skin is already clearing and softening. i must be a freak of nature. or accutane is my drug of choice! hmmmm...what do u guys think?

I get the flaky ears and blurry contacts too! Fun times!

It's good to hear that you're not having terrible side effects. Just hope that your skin keeps on getting better and better.

glad it was just a lab error!

I've just started noticing flaky ears! I need to start lotioning them.

ohhhhhhh and for the eczema, try hydrocortisone lotion! or a good eucerin calming cream lotion. i've been getting it on my hands and my derm recommended those. :)

I get the flaky ears and blurry contacts too! Fun times!

It's good to hear that you're not having terrible side effects. Just hope that your skin keeps on getting better and better.

Glad its not just me! its pretty fun i gotta admit. I feel like a raisin. a shriveling lil raisin!

glad it was just a lab error!

I've just started noticing flaky ears! I need to start lotioning them.

ohhhhhhh and for the eczema, try hydrocortisone lotion! or a good eucerin calming cream lotion. i've been getting it on my hands and my derm recommended those. :)

can you get that lotion pretty much anywhere? Im a nurse and i have to wash my hands constantly, so it really screws with the rash thing. think itll help?