Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started breaking out in 4th grade. It started on my forehead, then moved and stayed on my cheeks and chin, where I still breakout. After cleaning my diet up my acne went from mild to light. I really just went from breaking out every day to a couple times a week. It's still too much. I'm scarred, and damaged. And I can't try and fix that till I stop breaking out. I also have oily skin, which probiotics have really reduced, but only once, and I don't know why. Now, some days it'll work and then just stop again. I haven't figured out what that means yet.

I mostly get whiteheads. I take a lot of vitamins, pretty much all the popular ones on here, as well as some herbs like vitex. I'm only 17, and if I started getting acne when I was so young, I doubt I had/have liver problems...I've had a series of bowel issues which I'm getting back on track now. And "hormonal acne" runs in my family. So, right now I guess I'm leaning towards that. I take fish oil, eat healthy...what else should I do?

I'm looking into borage oil, I've tried primrose before but if I'm going to get one or the other I've heard that borage has more...of..something in it, I forget, but it's the stuff that works with hormones. I really don't know what to do, any advice? :/

For those who break out in cycles and go through periods of clear skin and then acne-ridden skin, I suggest the following (from most important to least important):

1. get enough quality sleep

2. control your stress

3. limit masturbation and/or sex

4. eat well

As you can see, getting enough sleep is number 1, and this is very much intertwined with #2, since stress can often affect the quality of your sleep. When you are stressed and/or you do not sleep well, your hormones are in a state of imbalance, which can greatly affect your skin.

#3 is nearly as important as #1 and #2. I know, I know. Scientists haven't proven it to be a cause. Indeed, it isn't the cause. But, what must be understood, is that masturbation can EXACERBATE your acne condition by disrupting the balance of your hormones. If you are a teen who cannot accept this, I understand. When I was a teenager, my libido was so out of control that I would not have accepted it. But if you want to clear your acne up, I recommend at least trying to limit your masturbation or sexual intercourse. And I don't mean just stopping for one day. Stop for at least 4 days and eventually get yourself to only once per week whether it be sex or masturbation.

#4 is not terribly important for solving the acne problem. There are foods that may exacerbate acne in certain people. In my experience, peanuts are no good, but for some it may be perfectly fine. If you find a particular food is making your skin worse, just stay away from it. A good indicator of a food that is not good for your skin is if, after eating the food, your skin feels flushed or slightly hot.

I believe, with every fiber of my being, that the vast majority of peoples' acne can be cured by doing all 3 things above, and adding in #4 as an extra bonus.

Edited by accutaneuser78

I'd like to agree with the previous poster 100%.

You need to have a consistent bed time... let's say 10 o'clock every night... including the weekends.

I know chances are you're a teenager and you'll want to go out on the weekend with friends... and teenagers hate being at home on the weekend. But this just disrupts your sleep for the rest of the week... and already your circadian rhythm is completely thrown around.

This will do wonders for you skin... this is the time when your liver will be taking out the extra hormones out of the blood stream. Deactivating them etc.

Edited by PicklePimples

Well, I have trouble sleeping well, and am not sure what to do about that. I go to bed around 10-11pm and get up around 7am on the weekends, during the week same, just wake up earlier. Only thing is is that I lay there for a very long time so I'm actually not falling asleep till much later and I wake up throughout the night...

I don't know about stress, I'm a really calm person, but I do get depressed.

And as for the sex/masturbation thing isn't an issue as I'm not involved it them.

I do believe diet has reduced the oil but my skin is still oily...I have been trying blood sugar stabilizing habits but if I eat something like a potato I see no changes. And no, I haven't tried BHA. But I want to really cure this...so I'm trying to fix my insides.

Does anyone have any ideas on why probiotics have reduced my oil?

Does anyone have any ideas on why probiotics have reduced my oil?

Candida overgrowth.

Ouch..are you sure?..

I just ate yogurt before bed last night and didn't wake up to a face covered in oil, it's so weird...

But I haven't been eating sugar except from fruit in about 5 month? What kills candida? Is there any other cues to tell my that might be my problem?

Well, I have trouble sleeping well, and am not sure what to do about that. I go to bed around 10-11pm and get up around 7am on the weekends, during the week same, just wake up earlier. Only thing is is that I lay there for a very long time so I'm actually not falling asleep till much later and I wake up throughout the night......

I do believe diet has reduced the oil but my skin is still oily...I have been trying blood sugar stabilizing habits but if I eat something like a potato I see no changes.

Do you get outside into the light during the day? Eat foods needed to make seratonin during the day to be turned into melatonin after dark? Get some exercise? Dim lights in evening? Sleep in total darkness?

What do you have the potato with? It's the GL of the entire meal that matters.

I just ate yogurt before bed last night and didn't wake up to a face covered in oil,

Unsweetened yogurt? Did you sleep better?

Do you get outside into the light during the day? Eat foods needed to make seratonin during the day to be turned into melatonin after dark? Get some exercise? Dim lights in evening? Sleep in total darkness?

I have been trying these things since you suggested it to me in that other thread :3

Yes it was plain Stoneyfield yogurt which is organic. I didn't seem to sleep much differently. It didn't take too long to go to sleep but I still woke up a few times throughout the night.

Do you think it might be candida? I'm going to make a post for my questions.

Yes it was plain Stoneyfield yogurt which is organic. I didn't seem to sleep much differently. It didn't take too long to go to sleep but I still woke up a few times throughout the night.

Do you think it might be candida? I'm going to make a post for my questions.

I think the milk helped you fall asleep.

I think anti-depressives are very effective for acne sufferers, and can enhance quality of sleep. There are several on the market that are effective and that you can try. You should know within one week whether the medicine is good for you.

I think some people are ashamed to ask for an anti-depressive from their doctor, but it's really nothing to be ashamed of.

Heyyyyyyyyyyy

I have very light acne ( a few black heads and 3-4 zits) and I must agree that diet does play a major role in acne. However, there are other things you can do to help improve it.

1. Exercise-when you sweat, and the dirt and impurities and junk like that come out of your pores. Also, for some people exercising lowers stress.

2. Get lots of sleep- when you sleep is when your body heals itself

3. Don't pack on the products- some people may be tempted to use tons and tons of facial cleaners, but in reality, that will probably just irritate your skin more. All you need is a cleaner and a scrub, and maybe cleansing pads or a topical cream. Also, just wear very light oil free makeup, or none at all. Clinique makes good oil free products.

4. Change your bedsheets- try to change your bed maybe every two weeks, and change your pillowcase every few days.

I think anti-depressives are very effective for acne sufferers, and can enhance quality of sleep. There are several on the market that are effective and that you can try. You should know within one week whether the medicine is good for you.

I think some people are ashamed to ask for an anti-depressive from their doctor, but it's really nothing to be ashamed of.

I would suggest taking melatonin in a pill form to have a better sleep instead of taking anti-depressants (not on an ongoing basis, just so that your body gets into a good sleep cycle. Your body produces melatonin on it's own, so taking melatonin orally is your best bet.. My uncle who an internist (physican) recommends melatonin for sleep aid, as he takes it himself, and so do many members of my family.

they say spots caused on the forehead are diet related and i can attest to this. more specific digestion

everytime i eat junk and fill myself with crap, i get spots on my forehead.

since my diet cleaned up 8 months ago its been getting better and better !

Also i found out that a multivitamin from boots cause me cystic acne on my forehead. I still cant beleive it to this day. since i stopped taking it i have been 90% better

Edited by want2beme

I think anti-depressives are very effective for acne sufferers, and can enhance quality of sleep...

I would suggest taking melatonin in a pill form to have a better sleep instead of taking anti-depressants (not on an ongoing basis, just so that your body gets into a good sleep cycle. Your body produces melatonin on it's own, so taking melatonin orally is your best bet.. My uncle who an internist (physican) recommends melatonin for sleep aid, as he takes it himself, and so do many members of my family.

But making seratonin in the daytime by getting bright light exposure and the nutrients needed to make it is even better both for sleep and depression.

Melatonin acts similar to just a sleeping pill. These kinds of things knock you out but don't give you quality sleep.

An anti-depressive can improve your mood, which is very important to getting good, quality sleep.

Most anti-depressives are not addictive and they work very well. Some cause you to be sleepy, so it would be good to take it before bed.

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll try to get more exercise, I know I need that which will get me out in the sun more. I actually felt tired last night! But as soon as I laid down I couldn't sleep :( It's strange because I nap perfectly fine and fall asleep fine. But when it's night time I don't do so well.

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll try to get more exercise, I know I need that which will get me out in the sun more. I actually felt tired last night! But as soon as I laid down I couldn't sleep :( It's strange because I nap perfectly fine and fall asleep fine. But when it's night time I don't do so well.

Same. I found it was because at night I always felt there were things left undone, and this kept me awake. For naps I always sleep well, because I know there is still time to get things done when I wake up from the nap.