Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

heres another reason not to use alkaline bar soaps...

its also a good reason to use products with low pH values

Influences on the regeneration mechanism:

Activation of the skin's barrier regeneration system is subject to various influences: increased cholesterol, fatty acid and sphingolipid synthesis leads to a restoration of the barrier function. However, it can be shown that after widespread damage to the horny skin layer, for example, from "stripping" or by oil-removing acetone, the natural horny layer barrier can only be restored by acidifying the skin surface. A neutral or alkaline environment noticeably retards the regeneration process.

http://www.eucerin.se/skin/physio_4.html

Also, I was reading somewhere (and this might be totally unfounded, I don't know anything) that an acidic environment is more beneficial to your skin because bacteria generally won't thrive when your pH is below a certain measurement.

That's part of the reason why glycolic acid can help, and some people use it in their Regimens. (Though it has other benefits too.) Most people's skin is on the acidic side, so alkaline soap generally isn't a great idea.

Also--I'd think that an alkaline soap, sitting in your soapdish, getting scrubbed all over your body and handled with grimy hands, can be a great place for bacteria. Yuck!

Also, I was reading somewhere (and this might be totally unfounded, I don't know anything) that an acidic environment is more beneficial to your skin because bacteria generally won't thrive when your pH is below a certain measurement.