Notifications
Clear all

Hyperplasia

MemberMember
(@chris1024)

Posted : 04/25/2010 5:30 pm

So, this is fun. I went through horrible acne as a teenager, had nice skin for quite some time, and now these start popping up! Bringing me back to the way I felt 20 years ago (has it been that long...). Anybody else deal with these? They are becoming quite distracting, dragging my confidence down.

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 05/03/2010 1:42 pm

Do you mean sebaceous hyperplasia? If so I think electrocautery has worked for some but they can grow back. I have some of these but may or may not get them cauterized until I fix my folliculitis. Uhm. I personally think hyperplasia is brought on by genetics & dryness. When on the lips it's referred to as fordyce. It's almost like the glands get bigger in hopes to get moisture. Interestingly, accutane can sometimes shrink hyperplasia but they again sometimes grow back.

Basically, from my digging online cautery seems to work better than lasering them. In theory, after their removal, they scab over for about 1.5 weeks and then heal.

So, this is fun. I went through horrible acne as a teenager, had nice skin for quite some time, and now these start popping up! Bringing me back to the way I felt 20 years ago (has it been that long...). Anybody else deal with these? They are becoming quite distracting, dragging my confidence down.
MemberMember
(@chris1024)

Posted : 05/05/2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, the problem is finding a derm in my area who will actually treat them. I have an appointment with one who does laser. Not sure if they are bad enough to spend the money on that but they do bother me, not to mention that my skin has gone crazy lately with zits.

MemberMember
(@mebe)

Posted : 07/25/2010 11:59 pm

hmm I suffer from this as well. bump this to see what others have to say.

MemberMember
(@chrisc1024)

Posted : 03/25/2013 5:30 pm

Still been dealing with this for a few years now (had to reregister since I couldn't remember my old details). They have gotten worse in the last few months. Found a derm who will use electro cautery, have my appointment next month and will post pictures.

MemberMember
(@chrisc1024)

Posted : 03/25/2013 5:56 pm

Sorry for the weird angle, best way to see them. Just hating the bumpy texture that they are creating. I'd say about 5 more small ones have appeared in the last few months.

photo_zps96d68ed8.jpg

MemberMember
(@chrisc1024)

Posted : 04/16/2013 4:30 pm

Had my first ever electrocautery today. Didn't hurt too bad, and they are scabbing up...she didn't get all of them, she said the ones that are too small are hard to treat without damaging the skin. Kinda feel like I have a sunburn right now. But, I'm feeling like at least I did SOMETHING about this for the first time since it started a few years back.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 04/23/2013 8:33 am

Please keep us updated w. your progress. I too suffer from these and am interested in having them removed if at all possible.

MemberMember
(@bajabeachbum)

Posted : 01/22/2021 7:46 pm

any update?