Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kellb13

Advice on Struggle with Acne

Hi, I am a 17 year old female, soon to be 18 and am in my senior year of high school about to go off to college next year. I have been dealing with acne since the sixth grade and am struggling immensly with it.

I went on my first course of accutane my sophomore year and it really cleared up my skin. However, three months after I stopped i began breaking out severely again. Once again, I went on a nother treatment of accutane in hopes of clearing it up for good. However, once again my acne has returned. Currently, I would label my acne as mild to moderate. I would like to note that i also have VERY oily skin. i've tried many different products..currently I am using Neutrogena rapid strength clearing pads and i also apply atralin at night for my skin. I noticed that the atralin was working very well in the beginning but now i have been on it for about five months and I feel like it's not having the best affect anymore.

I started birth control (yasmin) about a month ago and am hoping that this will be the thing that will work for me. I am a little nervous because many of the reviews i read for Yasmin claimed that the acne actually worsened. I've been on it for a month and i stilll have acne but am fortunate that it hasn't gotten horribly worse like some of the other reviews I read. I know many people say that it takes a while for the hormone levels to balance to affectivly improve the acne. most say it takes about three months. I guess i'm writing to see if anyone has any opinion or advice on the pill for me. I also certain darks hairs on my face and chest which I think is another indicator that i have high testosterone levels.

Overall, I would really love some feedback or any advice about my acne. Does birth control sound like the right solution for me? Acne has really affected me my entire life..and honestly I am sick of dealing with it...I don't want to have to worry about it in college. Sometimes, it keeps me from going out with my friends and being confident in the person who I am. I've tried really hard this year to make it a goal to not focus on it but as I'm sure that with anyone with acne knows, that it's hard not to think about it.

One last thing! i'm also using clinique foundation....acne solutions with the salycic acid in it..i'm not quite sure if it's made a difference i've been using it for about 3 weeks as well.

Thank you sooooo much!