Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRSA-NIGHTMARES

REACURRING FACIAL FOLLICULITIS

Hey everyone, firstly i hope i have posted in the right place sorry if i havent.

I have been suffering from Folliculitis on my face around the beard and cheeks area for almost 4years. It is very aggresive and is causing scarring

It accurs every 2months or so and i am in an endless cycle of visiting the doctor who is of no help and just prescribes FLUCLOXACILLIN which at first cleared it but now i am having to return for a second course

I have tried TETRACYCLINE,DOXYCYCLINE and another "cycline" which i forget the name of, all where used for many months to no affect.

Creamwise i have used BP, DIFFERIN and i have spent a fortune on name brand Salicylic and AHA Facewashes all of which had no affect aswell.

After many hours searching forums and using google i tried a TRICLOSAN wash which i understand kills the MRSA bug which infects damaged skin and causes Folliculitis. It did work for awhile but yet again my condition has returned

I also use a electric razor instead of a blade so i dont get too close of a shave

So i am tunrning to this forum for help, can anybody see if im doing something wrong ? does anybody have any advice or or knowledge on the condition ? can anybody recommend any products or medecines that could help? im not expecting any "miracle cures" just something that may help. Also looking to hear from people suffering from the same condition and what does/doesnt work for you

Thanks in advance

It's highly unlikely that you have MRSA.

Research "folliculitis" on these boards and you'll find plenty of helpful information.

Hey everyone, firstly i hope i have posted in the right place sorry if i havent.

I have been suffering from Folliculitis on my face around the beard and cheeks area for almost 4years. It is very aggresive and is causing scarring

It accurs every 2months or so and i am in an endless cycle of visiting the doctor who is of no help and just prescribes FLUCLOXACILLIN which at first cleared it but now i am having to return for a second course

I have tried TETRACYCLINE,DOXYCYCLINE and another "cycline" which i forget the name of, all where used for many months to no affect.

Creamwise i have used BP, DIFFERIN and i have spent a fortune on name brand Salicylic and AHA Facewashes all of which had no affect aswell.

After many hours searching forums and using google i tried a TRICLOSAN wash which i understand kills the MRSA bug which infects damaged skin and causes Folliculitis. It did work for awhile but yet again my condition has returned

I also use a electric razor instead of a blade so i dont get too close of a shave

So i am tunrning to this forum for help, can anybody see if im doing something wrong ? does anybody have any advice or or knowledge on the condition ? can anybody recommend any products or medecines that could help? im not expecting any "miracle cures" just something that may help. Also looking to hear from people suffering from the same condition and what does/doesnt work for you

Thanks in advance

Can you post pics of it? I want to compare it with mine, because my docs are just speculating now that it is folliculitus instead of acne since i only breakout on chin where my hair stubble is the thickest. I too only shave with electric razor and the put me on 1% clindagel and just recently i got prescribed bactrim.

It's highly unlikely that you have MRSA.

Research "folliculitis" on these boards and you'll find plenty of helpful information.

Hey i have tried researching folliculitus but the amount of information that pops up is a bit daunting to be honest and can lead you into all directions , also "MRSA" and Staphylococci seem to frequent alot in the searches so i figured it could be a cause. Plus i have followed advice on how to avoid infection all of which is not working so i am here asking people if they can help ?

Thanks in advance

Can you post pics of it? I want to compare it with mine, because my docs are just speculating now that it is folliculitus instead of acne since i only breakout on chin where my hair stubble is the thickest. I too only shave with electric razor and the put me on 1% clindagel and just recently i got prescribed bactrim.

Sure i will post some pics as soon as i can , did you not get prescribd any oral antibiotics ?

Thanks in advance

Sure i will post some pics as soon as i can , did you not get prescribd any oral antibiotics ?

Yes i got prescribed bactrim. I cant take it right now thou because i am finsihing taking levaquin antibiotic for a lymph node infection i had.

electric shaving doesnt automatically reduce folliculitis for everyone...for some it does, but for others it may be just as bad, worse, or just different. I went that route once and found in certain areas it was irritating and well irritation causes folliculitis too, so i still got it, just in different areas. Also, some people's hair follicles are stiffer/coarser and with an electric you're techincally going against the grain, so that too can be irritating. What was your shaving routine like with a blade? Like i said, i made the switch to electric thinking i could never use a blade and stay clear, but i realized part of the problem was my shaving routine. I still can't shave every day with either, too irritating for my coarse hair, but i can shave now every other day and hardly break out due to it.

Also, i would not recommend SA for severe folliculitis. If it's those small bumps, then it'll work well, bring them to a head quickly and exfoliate/clear the area, but if it's anything but small, DO NOT USE. SA will just force everything up and if there's a lot of pus and gunk collected it will you can be sure you'll be left with a big mark from the inflammation all that will cause. I suggest only using BP as far as acne products go. No SA and no scrubs. The BP will kill existing pimples, exfoliate them, eventually clearing them and should minimize any new breakouts. Just make sure you moisturize to counter the dryness and prevent irritation from it. That routine worked for me, but i went away from it because it was a hassle applying the BP daily, it was too drying for me since i work out and sweat a lot, and the safety of BP was questionable back then.

IF you have insurance ask your doc for duac or benzaclin and use that instead of BP. that's what i used instead of OTC BP before i lost my ins coverage. I found it more effective and not as irritating/drying.

electric shaving doesnt automatically reduce folliculitis for everyone...for some it does, but for others it may be just as bad, worse, or just different. I went that route once and found in certain areas it was irritating and well irritation causes folliculitis too, so i still got it, just in different areas. Also, some people's hair follicles are stiffer/coarser and with an electric you're techincally going against the grain, so that too can be irritating. What was your shaving routine like with a blade? Like i said, i made the switch to electric thinking i could never use a blade and stay clear, but i realized part of the problem was my shaving routine. I still can't shave every day with either, too irritating for my coarse hair, but i can shave now every other day and hardly break out due to it.

Also, i would not recommend SA for severe folliculitis. If it's those small bumps, then it'll work well, bring them to a head quickly and exfoliate/clear the area, but if it's anything but small, DO NOT USE. SA will just force everything up and if there's a lot of pus and gunk collected it will you can be sure you'll be left with a big mark from the inflammation all that will cause. I suggest only using BP as far as acne products go. No SA and no scrubs. The BP will kill existing pimples, exfoliate them, eventually clearing them and should minimize any new breakouts. Just make sure you moisturize to counter the dryness and prevent irritation from it. That routine worked for me, but i went away from it because it was a hassle applying the BP daily, it was too drying for me since i work out and sweat a lot, and the safety of BP was questionable back then.

IF you have insurance ask your doc for duac or benzaclin and use that instead of BP. that's what i used instead of OTC BP before i lost my ins coverage. I found it more effective and not as irritating/drying.

Thanks for taking time to reply, i have stopped using SA as i figured it was aggravating the situation more, but as soon as it clears up i will continue to use as it was the expensive Dermolgica Medi Bac clearing face wash. As for BP i was using BP Duac but i have very oily skin and i felt the drying property of BP was just making it worse but i may just give it another try since you said it worked for you.

I am currently on a course of FLUXLOCACILLIN and using BACTROBAN to rid the infection short term but i am searching for a long term regime to help prevent any furthur breakouts.

I have also been looking up BACTROBAN NASAL which seems like a good option does anybody have any experience with this product ?

Thanks for taking time to reply, i have stopped using SA as i figured it was aggravating the situation more, but as soon as it clears up i will continue to use as it was the expensive Dermolgica Medi Bac clearing face wash. As for BP i was using BP Duac but i have very oily skin and i felt the drying property of BP was just making it worse but i may just give it another try since you said it worked for you.

I am currently on a course of FLUXLOCACILLIN and using BACTROBAN to rid the infection short term but i am searching for a long term regime to help prevent any furthur breakouts.

I have also been looking up BACTROBAN NASAL which seems like a good option does anybody have any experience with this product ?

If you do not have a prescription for bactroban, do not be using it. Don't use it nasally without a prescription! It's one of the few things left that will treat MRSA. If you use it for plain old folliculitis, you're simply increasing the resistance of MORE bacteria!

Look up 'folliculitis' on these boards, as I said. There is sooo much information that you can find with some searching, and I shan't spoon feed it.

MRSA is highly unlikely to manifest itself as folliculitis. You'd have a more obvious infection. Go to a derm or a primary care doctor and get a culture swab if you're that concerned to rule out MRSA. It's not something to mess with if you actually DO have it. Stop trying to treat it yourself and from what you find on websites.

If you do not have a prescription for bactroban, do not be using it. Don't use it nasally without a prescription! It's one of the few things left that will treat MRSA. If you use it for plain old folliculitis, you're simply increasing the resistance of MORE bacteria!

Look up 'folliculitis' on these boards, as I said. There is sooo much information that you can find with some searching, and I shan't spoon feed it.

MRSA is highly unlikely to manifest itself as folliculitis. You'd have a more obvious infection. Go to a derm or a primary care doctor and get a culture swab if you're that concerned to rule out MRSA. It's not something to mess with if you actually DO have it. Stop trying to treat it yourself and from what you find on websites.

I was prescribed bactroban awhile ago by a doctor it is not something i sought and purchased on my own means, i have made my doctor take a nasal swab should he of taken one from the infected area aswell? he has also reffered me to a dermotolagist but did warn "they'll just put you on more antibiotics" but hopefully they should find a solution

thanks for your advice and taking time to comment