Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rainbowpeace

41 years old, 3rd attempt at Accutane

Here goes! I'm a 41 year old lady, who lives in England and I have had acne since I was a teenager. I have tried all the usual anti biotics, creams, gels etc and nothing has worked. I have had Accutane twice before - once ten years ago, and it worked really well and I was acne free for years. I then thought I would treat myself to a facial, and brought all the acne back again. Gutted! A few more years went by, with bad acne, then took Accutane again, but it didnt work. I think I was on too low a dose (I can't remember what it was, but I know that I didn't have the same side effects as I did the first time). More years of acne followed, more antibiotics, gels etc, nothing worked. Which brings me to where I am now, just started my new course in Accutane. I'm feeling very positive and looking forward to doing something that hopefully will work.

I am taking 20mg for 2 weeks, then upping it to 40mg and can go up to 60mg if I can. I weigh about 145lb. The dermatologist has left it up to me to increase when I feel I can tolerate it ok.

A bit of medical background on me: I have been hyperthyroid in the past, but now just about within normal range and I get a lot of classical migraines with auras.

Edited by Rainbowpeace

17/4/10

Tomorrow I start Roaccutane. I am feeling both excited about it and nervous. I am not looking forward to keeping out of the sun, not drinking alcohol, not being able to highlight my hair or use wax. Yesterday evening I was meant to have a ‘blow out’ with alcohol. I started, but then fell asleep. I could have another evening of it tomorrow, but I don’t want to risk feeling bad tomorrow when I start the drug. I had a full head of peroxide highlights done on my hair today and have shaved and waxed places that I should! I bought some Simple shower gel, Vaseline lip therapy and Neutrogena oil free moisturiser. I bought some alcohol free wine as I am going out for lunch tomorrow. I am ready to go. BRING IT ON!!!!!

WEEK 1

18/4/10

After breakfast:

20mg

First day of Roaccutane. I felt no different all day, but a little tired in the evening. I thought I would start slowly – I can go up to 60mg, but will do 20mg for a week, then 40mg for a couple of weeks and if all is well, 60mg.

19/4/10

20mg

Second day. I felt no different all day. Had a bit of a headache in the evening. Came on a few days early which is unusual for me. Nothing else to report.

20/4/10

20mg

Slept really badly last night, might or might not be the drug – had a lot of stuff on my mind. Today had a small nose bleed when blowing my nose. Felt a bit achey and tired this evening. Bit of a gurgly tummy. Again, might or might not be the Roaccutane starting to work.

21 4/10

20mg

Slept better last night. Only symptoms today were that my spots are looking flakey and starting to dry out.

22/4/10

20mg

Migraine today at 9.30am. Slept in the evening.

23/4/10

20mg

Skin becoming a little dry all over and the spots are flakey. Fell asleep in the evening.

24/4/10

20mg

Lips and skin a bit dry. Getting waves of heat throughout my body. My husband says I am like a furnace. Not sure whether its my thyroid playing up or the drug.

Good luck with your course! Three times - yeesh - but it'll work this time! On the bright side, you already know what side effects will plague you and how to deal with them. :D

Thanks for your support, its great to be surrounded by people in the same situation. :)

Just trying to upload some cringeworthy photos of my face, but can't work out how to make the photos small enough to fit. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Rainbowpeace

Thanks for your support, its great to be surrounded by people in the same situation. :)

Just trying to upload some cringeworthy photos of my face, but can't work out how to make the photos small enough to fit. Anyone have any ideas?

Open them with "paint" and hit the re-size button on the bar menu

Open them with "paint" and hit the re-size button on the bar menu

hmmm tried that and didnt work, will try again tomorrow. Thanks x

to get a picture smaller, you can open it in a photobucket account. There's a feature in the editing tools that lets you resize picture.

Week Two

20mg all week

Some peeling skin, very itchy, flakey scalp. Feeling tired in the evening and hot all the time.

Increasing the dose to 40mg per day from tomorrow.

Week Three

3/5/10

40mg

Used Baby Simple moisturising shampoo and Cetaphil skin wash.

4/5/10

40mg

Scalp isn’t itchy now. Noticed my ears were peeling!

5/5/10

20mg

I slept really badly last night, had a really bad headache. Woke up and had a big break out of acne. Decided to take 20mg on Wed, Fri and Sun and 40mg on Thurs, Sat and Mon, to increase the dose more gradually. Had a migraine at 11am.

6/5/10

40mg

7/5/10

20mg

8/5/10

40mg

9/5/10

40mg

Skin peeling all over face and ears. Scalp not itchy any more. Acne all over face. Lips quite sore, using Vaseline, but will have a look in Boots for something more moisturising. Very tired in the evenings and keep falling asleep in front of the tv. Joints in the elbows and hips quite achey and back ache pretty bad from past injury. Bit grumpy due to feeling sore and swollen in the face. Really hope that the acne starts clearing soon. Feeling very hot still.