Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kenzie123

FINALLY done with accutane!

just took my last pill today, and I thought I would tell people who are considering accutane my side of the story.

So, I went into this with moderate but persistent acne. I had tried everything imaginable. So finally, the doctor gave me accutane. I went a total of 6 months, the first two months I took 40 mg (once a day), then the 3rd, 4th and 5th 40mg (twice a day) and the last month 40mg (once every other day).

Around the end of the first month I had the IB, which was HORRIBLE! I had never had that many pimples on my face at once in my entire life. The worst part of it was that the breakouts didnt calm down whatsoever until around the end of the 4th month. Besides the acne, my face was ALWAYS red...it was so embarrassing. I hated going to school and those were some of the hardest months of my life. I was experiencing some really bad back pain as well. As for the dryness, it didnt hit me as hard as some people talk about, although my face was ALWAYS flaking and peeling off. Besides the physical side effects, I was having emotional side effects as well. I just didnt feel like myself a lot of the time. I didnt want to be involved in anything mostly because I just didnt want people to look at me.

I dont want to people to be scared away from accutane because of the negative things people write about it, but if you are going to go on it really think about it before you do. Before accuntane, my acne wasnt something that completely controlled me. It was just an annoyance I wanted gone. And when I was offered accutane it seemed like a miracle drug that would make me perfect. Well no, it changed my thought on life completely. Now I obsess over my face. Before, I would buy any makeup and try it out, now I'm terrified to put anything other than face wash and moisturizer on it, in fear of it breaking me out. Even though the accutane basically cleared me, now I'm left with a face full scars that I obsess about and side effects that may never go away. My face is still pretty red most of the time, and I'm so sensitive to sun it's ridiculous. I kinda wish I could go back and have the attitude I had before it, I was so much more..carefree. All in all I cant really say if I'm happy I took it or not. I still get active pimples and I still have blackheads, plus a lot of scars. It put me through 6 months of hell, and I couldnt be happier that I'm done, now I just have to wait for it to get out of my system and hopefully go back to being me.

just took my last pill today, and I thought I would tell people who are considering accutane my side of the story.

So, I went into this with moderate but persistent acne. I had tried everything imaginable. So finally, the doctor gave me accutane. I went a total of 6 months, the first two months I took 40 mg (once a day), then the 3rd, 4th and 5th 40mg (twice a day) and the last month 40mg (once every other day).

Around the end of the first month I had the IB, which was HORRIBLE! I had never had that many pimples on my face at once in my entire life. The worst part of it was that the breakouts didnt calm down whatsoever until around the end of the 4th month. Besides the acne, my face was ALWAYS red...it was so embarrassing. I hated going to school and those were some of the hardest months of my life. I was experiencing some really bad back pain as well. As for the dryness, it didnt hit me as hard as some people talk about, although my face was ALWAYS flaking and peeling off. Besides the physical side effects, I was having emotional side effects as well. I just didnt feel like myself a lot of the time. I didnt want to be involved in anything mostly because I just didnt want people to look at me.

I dont want to people to be scared away from accutane because of the negative things people write about it, but if you are going to go on it really think about it before you do. Before accuntane, my acne wasnt something that completely controlled me. It was just an annoyance I wanted gone. And when I was offered accutane it seemed like a miracle drug that would make me perfect. Well no, it changed my thought on life completely. Now I obsess over my face. Before, I would buy any makeup and try it out, now I'm terrified to put anything other than face wash and moisturizer on it, in fear of it breaking me out. Even though the accutane basically cleared me, now I'm left with a face full scars that I obsess about and side effects that may never go away. My face is still pretty red most of the time, and I'm so sensitive to sun it's ridiculous. I kinda wish I could go back and have the attitude I had before it, I was so much more..carefree. All in all I cant really say if I'm happy I took it or not. I still get active pimples and I still have blackheads, plus a lot of scars. It put me through 6 months of hell, and I couldnt be happier that I'm done, now I just have to wait for it to get out of my system and hopefully go back to being me.

This is pretty much how i'd sum up my experience, only without the IB and im not currently getting any new spots

This is pretty much how i'd sum up my experience, only without the IB and im not currently getting any new spots

Sorry about your experience. But atleast your clear of most of the pimples! When you say scars, do you mean PIH or true dents? If its true scars, did you have them pre-accutane as well?

Edited by Lisa14

what do you mean by PIH and true scars?? I dont really know all of the terminology lol...but i will say I had minimal scarring pre accutane and now i have much more indented scaring and red spots that hopefully will fade

Sorry about your experience. But atleast your clear of most of the pimples! When you say scars, do you mean PIH or true dents? If its true scars, did you have them pre-accutane as well?

Mine is just PIH, which weren't anywhere near as visable as they are now, hopefully they will fade after I finish my course