Sun exposure and be...

Notifications
Clear all

Sun exposure and benzoyl peroxide

MemberMember
(@yacco)

Posted : 04/24/2010 2:40 pm

This summer I will be traveling to South East Asia where I will have more sun exposure than I typically do in NY. I was wondering as benzoyl peroxide increases the skin's sensitivity to the sun:

1. Will a product like Olay Complete SPF 15 be enough for that type of sun exposure?

2. Is applying this moisturizer / sunscreen just once during the morning sufficient? I know you should apply sunscreen about every two hours but how can we incorporate this into the regimen as you typically only apply moisturizer once during the day after you cleanse and apply BP?

I appreciate any input and responses. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@absurdcheetah)

Posted : 04/24/2010 4:32 pm

XXX

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 04/24/2010 6:58 pm

BP does increase sun sensitivity, so be careful. I don't know if SPF 15 would be enough or if the Olay brand is OK for I never wear sunscreen. If I would I'd go for an organic brand without all the harsh chemicals.

MemberMember
(@smashley007)

Posted : 04/26/2010 4:58 pm

I think it depends on your skin. You know it better than anyone-- if you're sensitive to the sun, SPF 15 probably won't cut it if you're going to be outside a lot in harsh sun. I personally think that too much SPF is better than too little. My personal favorite is anything from Shiseido-- it's kind of expensive but really nice quality. I can justify buying it though, because I think sunscreen is one of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle. And for the second question, I would apply it as much as you deem necessary. During the summer I apply sunscreen more than once a day-- sometimes four and five times, and as long as I'm using product that I know won't break me out, it's fine. Just be gentle and you should be okay.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/26/2010 5:08 pm

This is from Dan's recent blog entry. The FDA recently reclassified bp. Details here: http://www.acne.org/blog/2010/04/22/fda-re...-and-effective/

Sunburn: Interestingly, they also found that benzoyl peroxide can decrease the skin's tolerance to UV radiation (i.e., increase sunburn) after repeated applications, and so they are now also requiring an added warning on benzoyl peroxide labels which states, "If going outside, apply sunscreen after using this product". Manufacturers have a year to add this warning. I will add this to our labels at our next printing

For incidental daily sun exposure, I just wear spf 15. But for days outside or prolonged sun exposure, I use spf 30 and reapply often (according to package instructions).

Ffwalcott liked
MemberMember
(@yacco)

Posted : 05/01/2010 3:20 pm

Thanks for the responses...I will now be seeking a stronger suncreen/moisturizer for my trip... is this the shiseido sunscreen you were referring to the Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF 38 PA++?

So have you been reapplying sunscreen during the day without experiencing breakouts? For some reason I was afraid that it might not be a good practice to reapply sunscreen onto sweat and oil that the skin has produced. Thought it might cause clogging of pores.

MemberMember
(@smashley007)

Posted : 05/02/2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the responses...I will now be seeking a stronger suncreen/moisturizer for my trip... is this the shiseido sunscreen you were referring to the Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF 38 PA++?

So have you been reapplying sunscreen during the day without experiencing breakouts? For some reason I was afraid that it might not be a good practice to reapply sunscreen onto sweat and oil that the skin has produced. Thought it might cause clogging of pores.

Yes, that's the kind of Shiseido I use... they have a lot of variations, some with higher SPF. I'm not out in the sun a lot so I don't feel like I need SPF 55 or 60. And yes, I reapply sunscreen during the day. I think as long are you are doing the regimen religiously you should stay clear.

MemberMember
(@muse_band_fan)

Posted : 08/07/2016 12:33 pm

Neutrogena carries sunblock lotions with an SPF of 110. I recommend that and it's the one that I use. The higher the SPF number, the better the protection. I haven't found a higher number than 110.

I personally use benzoyl peroxide for my acne and because of the sun sensitivity, I wear a sun hat during the summer. I don't need to create more acne from any oily, greasy sunblock lotions or sprays. Any additional topical lotions or solutions adds extra gunk on my face that feeds my acne. So, I'd rather keep my face cool, dry, and completely out of the sunlight by wearing a large, but stylish sun hat. I use the sunblock on my arms, however.