Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercs22

Lets just face the facts

Nothing cures acne, no, and nothing makes the genetic trait we have for it go away, no. But like many things, we can always work on improving the status of our skin.

Some years ago I had to accept that I always will have acne. It sucked, but once I stopped looking for the cure and started looking for progress, things got better.

You don't have to always have acne, because there are things that do work, but sometimes people feel the risk outweighs the benefit (example: accutane), but you will always have scars, although they can be improved.

I'm referring to scar treatments specifically, theres no surefire way to get significant improvement let alone completely eliminate acne scars.

Yup.. doesn't seem like there is anything out there that works. The skin can be improved, I bet, allthough I havn't noticed it yet after 2 deep FX lasers.

I bet it will takes years of treatments to see an improvement of some kind.

I know people that have recovered from acne with absolute 100% perfect skin, you can't even tell they ever had acne so that's bull**** that there's no cure, just keep a positive attitude and keep experimenting until you find something that works. A lot of people are lucky and even just grow out of acne at a certain age, even in later years.

Edited by cohen888

A lot of things work. The problem is that most of the things you need to get rid of scars are A LOT of money. Laser, chemical peels etc. All big bucks.

A lot of things work. The problem is that most of the things you need to get rid of scars are A LOT of money. Laser, chemical peels etc. All big bucks.

as evident from this message board it would be fair to say that lasers and peels often deliver little to no results.

as evident from this message board it would be fair to say that lasers and peels often deliver little to no results.

But as someone told me, if it DID work they wouldn't be on here. The people on here are the people still looking for a cure. If you found a procedure that totally cleared your scars, you wouldn't be on here anymore talking about it. I know I wouldn't.

There are a lot of treatments that will reduce the amount of scarring, especially shallow scarring, but I partly agree with the OP that alot of it is a big scam. I have lots of scarring, both deep and shallow and I'm going to keep trying to improve it as much as possible and probably spend way too much money because I can't stand the sight of my scarred cheeks in the mirror. Yeah, I think the best "cure" is just time and having a positive attitude.

Mercs, there are treatments that work, but the progress is agonizing slow, and that is not what people have grown to expect in todays instant society. People ignore scientific research, instead chasing wild claims of the latest oil that will cure all. These 3 are what has been proven to improve skin, anything else is speculation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/health/1...no_interstitial

Check out everything on http://www.quackwatch.org/ before you waste your money or time.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

This is what people always say (I did this myself too). But honestly, if I had good results from a laser treatment, I would be the first to shout it out on these forums. I just don't think many people had much improvement at all.

Dudleydoright- thanks for the links! That article was really informative. I'm using a retinol, so I'm glad this article went into all its long-term benefits. Have you had significant skin improvement with your treatments? Thanks again.

Jane I would say 60-70% depending on the day. I will probably do another Re:pair later this fall.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Nothing REALLY works, its all just a huge scam and waste of money.

You can't just put out a blanket statement, because it depends on a lot of things... What kind of scars... How bad... What a person's expectations are.