Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ducky8989

My tazorac/benzaclin/minocycline log

Ok so yesterday I was prescribed benzaclin (5% BP, 1% clindamycin), tazorac .05% and minocycline 50 mg twice daily.

DAY 1

During the day I took my mino pills and cleansed, did benzaclin with a moisturizer on top and experienced a considerable amount of redness and itching, although I think this is pretty normal. It felt like I had a mild sunburn on my face and weirdly I got a little puffy under the eyes and my eyes felt a little dry. I'm hoping this isn't an allergic reaction of some kind, I'm going to stick with it for a week or so and see if it subsides. By the end of the day I saw all of my active pimples improve and got one new one (i'm assuming i would have gotten that anyway)

At nigt I cleansed, put moisturizer on first (what my derm said to do) and then applied a small amount of the tazorac. No problems, the redness from the benzaclin subsided. Took pills as instructed.

DAY 2

Cleansed, this time applied some moisturizer before applying the benzaclin and then mixed the benzaclin with more moisturizer when I applied it. Was hoping this would decrease the redness. Unfortunately, I experienced the same symptoms (redness and feels like a sunburn) but no worse than before. Am going to stick with it.

Haven't done my nighttime routine yet.

Nope this is the first time I've used a retnoid, I have used OTC moisturizers with retinol in them, which I know is related, but not nearly as strong.

DAY 9

I have now been on mino, benaclin and tazorac for over a week. I started to experience some redness so I decided to alternate using benzaclin and tazorac at night and just spot treat with the benzaclin and use a moisturizer during the day. This was what my dermatologist initially recommended I do for the first couple of weeks, but I was so eager to get clear I ignored the advice. Since I started doing this I have had no redness, just a little bit of peeling, but as long as I moisturize it stays under control. So far I don't think I've started the initial breakout period yet.. I'm getting new pustules (maybe one every day or two) but not more or less than usual. I've had the exact same 3 or 4 pustules on each of my cheeks for months that keep almost healing and then becoming pus-filled again but the benzaclin seems to be keeping them under control. they aren't getting a LOT better but they don't seem to be getting worse either which is a change. The benzaclin seems to be doing a better job with fighting new breakouts than stubborn old ones.

i'm on a pretty similar regimen

.05% tazorac

duac (5% bp, 1% clin)

doxy antibiotic

It's been 2 and a half weeks since i started. A month before that I tried to start but i had a bad microdermabrasion reaction and stopped everything for 2 weeks and then slowly eased into this new plan.

I still have the same spots (small cysts) on my chin that i've had for a while, they get a little bigger then hide and keep coming back, not surfacing. since starting this new plan things seem to have slowed in terms of new acne and things are not coming to the surface.

I tried Differin for 4 months which made my acne worse and horrible.

I'm really hoping this combination of things helps.

DAY 35

Thus far not much improvement, but I wouldn't say things are worse either. The left side of my face looks pretty good, but the right side has two big pustules that have been there since before I started this log and are still not budging. I have also broken out on my chin in the past few days. I'm hoping that this is the initial breakout. I'm trying to be patient. I know that the tazorac will take up to three months to show improvement, but I don't really know how long the mino and the benzaclin are supposed to take to work. In general my skin tone is looking more even and my skin is much softer and smoother than before. I'm seeing fewer blackheads as well.

ps. after about the second week i moved up to using tazorac nightly and benzaclin for daytime. Experienced some irritation but I just stuck with it and my skin has adjusted. I still get some burning sometimes when I put moisturizer over the benzaclin.

DAY 44

I'm still breaking out a lot on my chin and the pustules on my right cheek are still there. My left side of my face and forehead are both still clear. This is my 6th week so hopefully I am still in the initial breakout and it will begin clearing soon.

I'm on day 40.

I have not experienced horrible scaly dry irritated skin like i did with Differin.

I do still get shedding peeling skin but it's relatively painless and seems to come off very easily.

I have very few new breakouts.

I have about small 10 bumps under my skin but still raised enough to be noticeable, they have been there since before starting this regimen and theyre still there. one finally kind of came to the surface.

I never really noticed serious blackheads on my nose before until now.

I'm wondering if these will taz is bringing them up and will eventually clear them.

or if i'm only noticing it more since the rest of my face is not awful. but i'm pretty certain they are much darker and every pore on my nose is black.

I havent had any reaction to the sun on my face but since i'm taking doxy, i've broken out twice with a rash on my arms and back of my hands from being in the sun (even with 70 spf), now being vigilant about long sleeves for now.

DAY 50

My skin has never been worse. Tons of new pustules and the older stuff is NOT healing... i have some inflamed red marks (look like scabs that have been scratched off) that have been there for months and don't seem to be improving at all. I have stopped using the benzaclin because it is too irritating. I'm about ready to give up on the tazorac as well. I know I should be giving it the full 12 weeks but I get the feeling that I'm going to be one of those people that takes months to see any improvements on tazorac... and I really just want to enjoy my summer and not have to be constantly depressed about my skin. Does anyone have any advice??

WEEK 8 (not sure what day)

So things are still looking bad. The pustules on my right cheek are still not healed and im getting new ones there and on my chin. I've even started to break out a little on my left cheek which was pretty much totally clear for the past couple of months. I just upped my minocycline dose a couple of days ago from 100 mg daily to 200 mg daily. Hopefully that will help. I'm thinking that I'm either going to be one of those people that takes upwards of 3 months to finish my retinoid IB.. or it wont work at all. I'm just really upset that this is happening in the middle of the summer.. when I want to go to the beach and I'm seeing tons of old friends :( I'm trying to stay optimistic but it's really hard.

today i reached week 8

some of the bumps and congestion on my chin are starting to surface.

my overall skin tone is red and blotchy.

i think the past week or two have been the worse since starting.

duac is stinging more when applied

new bumps forming for the first time since starting tazorac

might be due to increased sun exposure or my skin is finally reacting to the medication

So I'm almost at week 9 and I've been breaking out pretty consistently badly since around week 5. I finally gave up on benzaclin (too much irritation) and switched to using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Since I did that a couple of days ago my skin looks drastically better.. still broken out but much much less irritated. I'm hoping I will see slow improvement from here on but the road has been very rocky thus far.

9 and a half weeks

I went on a beach trip and ran out of BP... my skin has never looked worse. The tazorac is still making me break out all over my chin and cheeks and the old stuff will NOT heal. I've also been on minocycline 200 mg daily for at least a couple of weeks (before that I was on 100 mg daily for 7 weeks). I think I may need a different antibiotic... my acne was pretty mild before I started, just very stubborn.. now I'd say it's bordering on severe. Shouldn't an antibiotic have prevented such a terrible IB?

So it's officially been 10 weeks and there is no end in sight to my IB :( I'm gonna stick it out until the 12 week mark but I don't have high hopes.

See my problems with minocycline was i was on it for about 4 months at 200mg . Suddenly, my entire back and chest starting breaking out in tiny white heads around the 3-1/2 month mark.

I went to my dermatologist who took one look and diagnosed it was a follicitis, a fungal reaction. So basically, i was on the minocycline too long and reacted to it in my system. Now i have this fungal cream called Liprox that is clearing it up rather well.

So your what about 3 months into it? I'd keep an eye on it. I know i probably scared you a little but that was my experience with it.

10 and a half weeks

I don't wan't to speak too soon but I think my IB may FINALLY be subsiding. In the past day or two i've seen a drastic improvement in my skin. Things are flattening out and looking less inflamed. I'm crossing my fingers cause after almost 3 months straight of breakouts I'm really hoping tazorac works for me!!

So I spoke too soon... I'm 3 days short of 12 weeks on tazorac 0.05% and minocycline (i quit the benzaclin a while back due to irritation) and am still breaking out :( I'm not as irritated as I was but I'm still getting pustules daily. I went to my derm a couple of days ago and he was pushing accutane but I'm just not ready to go down that road. He prescribed me tazorac 0.1% and evoclin which he says will be less irritating than the benzaclin.. I am starting those tomorrow so we will see how that goes. I had really high hopes for tazorac so I am hoping that the higher % is what I need.

how did it go? im on my second week of .05 tazorac and mino 500 mg, i've never broken out like this before and blotchy all over my face:(

hey what ever ended up happening??

I am really anxious to know, since i am on week 8 right now of Tazorac and havent really seen much improvement... i just wanted to see if it finally ever worked out for you.