Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lilangelnana

To clog or not to clog? (Petrolatum)

Hey guys!

I've been debating with myself over Petrolatum and I keep going in circles. I know there are posts that do talk a bit about this issue (whether or not Petrolatum can cause acne) but they are not very informative and it's just so very confusing!

So I wanted to get this over with once and for all. Will cosmetic grade petrolatum cause acne?

Will it help acne? Will it make acne worse?

(I personally want to believe that it will help, despite my skin being so oily, because there are times when my skin is just so dehydrated on the surface! Aquaphor helped when I really needed it, but I'm afraid of the possibility that it may cause acne!)

If you believe it clogs our pores and/or makes acne conditions worse please explain to me why and how it could. (I would really appreciate if you can provide proof of your claims.)

If you believe it doesn't clog pores and/or makes acne conditions better please explain to me why and how it could. (I would really appreciate if you can provide proof of your claims.)

- Many have said that Petrolatum is one of the best non-comedegenic (rating of a 0/5) moisturizers out there. That its a greatly misunderstood product due to its origins. (Many dermatologists say this. Paula Begoun as well)

- Others say its much too greasy, that it will prevent our skin from breathing (?) and so it will clog your pores...

So can anyone clear this up for me? And does anyone here use Petroleum based products (like Vaseline/Aquaphor/etc.) on the skin (especially areas of skin that is prone to breakouts?)

Whatever replies I get will be fully appreciated, This is making my head spin and stressing over this issue is actually making my acne worse (Ah, The irony...)

Unfortunately, I can't give any scientific backing on this, but even the *thought* of petroleum on my skin clogs my pores......

One more thing.

I have broken out from things like Neosporin, but I am still trying to figure out if Aquaphor is doing any harm. I've used it all over my face (yes, even my T-zone!) and the only place where I have clogged pores appearing is my left cheek (and this breakout of comedones/clogged pores appeared 6 days after applying Aquapohr liberally all over my skin every night)

I'm not sure if I can for certain say that it was due to aquaphor since I dont have much more clogged pores aside from those on my left cheek. (If Aquaphor really clogs pores then I'd expect to see clogged pores on the other parts of my face, especially my T-zone....)

I have used Neo, but the creme only, anytime I tried to use the petroleum based stuff I broke out like mad. I do know aquaphor is good moisturizer, but is it petroleum based?

The particles in pure petroleum jelly are too big to fit into your pores, and thus cannot clog them. Pure petroleum jelly is non-comedogenic for this reason.

@elsewhere

I believe Aquaphor's active ingredient is 41% Petrolatum. So I think its safe to say its petroleum based (?)

And about the idea that Having petroleum on the skin will itself cause acne is completely understandable. There are lots of people who cant stand the thought of anything greasy on the skin! And I can understand it too, since I do have very (and I do mean very) oily skin. LOL (A friend of mine commented that she could probably fry an egg on my face if she wanted too, and I wasnt exactly offended. I agreed with her! =_=)

However, after getting a strange reaction to a chemical based sunblock (RED, itchy skin, BEYOND irritated...flaking to the point that I could make snakes jealous...) the idea of having Aquaphor on my face didnt seem very extreme anymore (Safe to say, At that point I was desperate for anything to heal my cracked and oily but dehydrated skin!)

@c'est la vigne

Yes I know it is non-comedogenic. Actually, I want to know why people believe it will cause breakouts. I want to know their reasoning behind it. (sites like http://dermnetnz.org/acne/acne-causes.html state that petrolatum would cause acne)

I (very very much want to) believe the scientific evidence supporting the claim that Petrolatum is non-comodegenic, but I want to see the evidence that goes against these claims. I want to see both sides before making any final decisions/judgments/opinions.

@c'est la vigne

Yes I know it is non-comedogenic. Actually, I want to know why people believe it will cause breakouts. I want to know their reasoning behind it. (sites like http://dermnetnz.org/acne/acne-causes.html state that petrolatum would cause acne)

I (very very much want to) believe the scientific evidence supporting the claim that Petrolatum is non-comodegenic, but I want to see the evidence that goes against these claims. I want to see both sides before making any final decisions/judgments/opinions.

Ah. I think a lot of people just assume that because it feels thick and greasy, it must clog pores.

@c'est la vigne

I wonder if thats their only reason to back their claim...If it is then me posting this was a complete waste of time! -sigh- Oh well. Does anyone else have any ideas why and how petrolatum could cause clogged pores?