Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heyitsthatguy

my acne scars

i was looking in the bookcase and had the light behind me and realised that i have acne scars :(

i honestly didn't think i had any until last night.... this feels so bad, now im stuck with them for life

heres a few pics, one of me with the light behind me and another in normal lighting

what would you guys recommend to maybe lessen the damage?

thanks to anyone who replies :)

post-114179-1272071254_thumb.jpg

post-114179-1272071304_thumb.jpg

post-114179-1272071254_thumb.jpg

post-114179-1272071304_thumb.jpg

i was looking in the bookcase and had the light behind me and realised that i have acne scars :(

i honestly didn't think i had any until last night.... this feels so bad, now im stuck with them for life

heres a few pics, one of me with the light behind me and another in normal lighting

They are soo not bad.. I'm a girl and I would kill to have just what you have! Give it some time, some scars fill in a little bit on their own, if they don't go away, there are a lot of options! retin-a would help (you just have to make sure you WEAR SUNSCREEN) or get injectable fillers or something.

well its just a shock because i really thought that i wasn't going to get any scars.... ill go to my doc and ask about retin a

anything else i can do?

tca cross or some other chemical peel?

thanks for the reply btw

I'd just like to say, stay away from lasers, and that the scars aren't bad at all.

I understand that they upset you, I have the same problem...

Many docs will try to sell you on lasers, they are still very ineffective for depressed scars. I've heard good things about TCA cross.

keep us posted man, gl.

Omg! Don't do chemical peels. I did that and it made my acne ten times worse then it ever was in my life. I regret it so bad. I did it to get rid of my freckles and I had minor scars on my face like you from picking acne I did have over the years. Now I'm on minocycline and Retin a micro to heal the acne it gave me! I never been on any kind of prescriptions before. It's like it woke up all my acne! It's horrible. Hopefully it heals. If I could go back in time... I would have left my face alone and lived with it. Yours are not bad! If anything use the retin a micro I have read up on it and it seems to work really good.

alright after reading into some of the methods i've decided with a TCA cross

i'm not going to do it anytime soon because i still get the occasional pimple, although not as bad as they were a year ago.... im turning 20 this year so maybe they've run their course.

i will post pics of results when i eventually get it done though :D

Someone already mentioned it above, but I second that TCA Cross is very effective, especially for someone with your kind/degree of scarring, which isn't severe at all. Also, you should wait for at least 1 year after finishing Accutane until you do TCA cross.

Be careful with the acid. People who are clumsy or generally not careful, should not be doing TCA cross. From my experience, if you get a small amount of acid on non-scarred skin, there won't be any permanent damage, but I have only gone up to 80% TCA. With 100% it might be different.

Until stem cell research can fix acne scars (and it likely will one day), TCA Cross appears to be our only hope of fixing scars. There is also the needle method, but it only works for light skin people. Laser treatments cannot presently fix scars to any significant degree, but they can improve the overall complexion of skin.

Edited by accutaneuser78

Hey sweetie, they're not so bad. I agree that retin-a might help, but you'll have to be persistent with it, at least a few months to a year, and be sure to wear sunscreen if you do try retinoids. With time, they'll be barely noticeable. I'm sure you'll notice it more than the people around you.

Someone already mentioned it above, but I second that TCA Cross is very effective, especially for someone with your kind/degree of scarring, which isn't severe at all. Also, you should wait for at least 1 year after finishing Accutane until you do TCA cross.

Be careful with the acid. People who are clumsy or generally not careful, should not be doing TCA cross. From my experience, if you get a small amount of acid on non-scarred skin, there won't be any permanent damage, but I have only gone up to 80% TCA. With 100% it might be different.

Until stem cell research can fix acne scars (and it likely will one day), TCA Cross appears to be our only hope of fixing scars. There is also the needle method, but it only works for light skin people. Laser treatments cannot fix scars to any significant degree, but they can improve the overall complexion of skin.

Really, needling only works for light skinned people? That might explain why I never got much improvement from needling.

Until stem cell research can fix acne scars (and it likely will one day), TCA Cross appears to be our only hope of fixing scars. There is also the needle method, but it only works for light skin people. Laser treatments cannot fix scars to any significant degree, but they can improve the overall complexion of skin.

Really, needling only works for light skinned people? That might explain why I never got much improvement from needling.

I should clarify. Needling can help fill in scars for anyone, but for dark-skinned people it may cause hypopigmentation, or lightening of the skin. In that sense, needling is not a viable solution for dark-skinned or tan-skinned people, unless you want to trade your scars for skin pigmentation irregularities.

TCA Cross does not have the same hypopigmentation risk and is a very effective treatment. I personally am very excited about the possibilities that stem cell research can bring. It is very likely that one day stem cell research will yield a cure for scars.

If you just now noticed them, they are nothing to worry about at all. It bugs me how some people have little shallow indentations on their skin and they think they have scars. I would do anything to have scarring like yours....

heres another pic in light that allows for better analysis of the type of scar, i think they are either toothpic or boxcar? dunno if they are rolling scars like the guy above suggested...

either way i'm going to wait until my acne completely clears so that the TCA doesn't cause a massive flair up.

and to the guy saying i shouldn't be complaining, i understand that my scars aren't the worst but i'm not trolling here because its pretty obvious that i do have some scaring...

oh and do any australians know whether retin a can be prescribed by a gp... or only a derm? thanks

post-114179-1272621758_thumb.jpg

post-114179-1272621758_thumb.jpg

You can get retin a from gp. comes in cream or gel form, apparently cream(apparently has comedogenic ingredient) is more for wrinkles and gel more for acne, im not sure about for scars.

Also your scaring looks pretty mild man, most peoples skin isnt perfect under harsh lighting.

You don't even need to do anything.

Majority of people have some level of scarring under certan lighting.

If I'm standing in the same type of lighten, I can see very shallow scars as well.

If I stand under fluorescent lighting, it looks like I have stab wounds!! ;)

If I stand outside in broad day light.... I have no indented scars at all!! :D