Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swdison

Rate my Acne, if you would be so kind

Please rate my acne. Thank you. :) (Oh, and sorry for the photo quality.)

post-126980-1272058281.jpg

post-126980-1272058292.jpg

post-126980-1272058297.jpg

post-126980-1272058302.jpg

post-126980-1272058288.jpg

Personal comment: A good part of it seems to be hyperpigmentation (except for the forehead, those are mostly new) The picture of the left side of my face shows where I used to get acne for sure. Many spots left over (and I didn't know how to take care of my skin back then), which do seem to be fading slowly.

post-126980-1272058281.jpg

post-126980-1272058288.jpg

post-126980-1272058292.jpg

post-126980-1272058297.jpg

post-126980-1272058302.jpg

Edited by swdison

I'd say mild to moderate acne with some definite scarring. What are you currently using to treat your skin?

I'm using a gentle cleanser (target generic cleanser), but I'm stopping that now since I found out it has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it. Incredibly pore clogging, even though the bottle says "won't clog your pores".../facepalm

Then, I use Vaseline Aloe Fresh moisturizer with 10 drops of 100% Tea tree oil added to the whole bottle. Then, I use the generic version of Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion. Really love it. Goes on clear and actually moisturizes (a first for me!).

I use those 3 at 11 am and 11 pm everyday.

I hear you about having trouble finding the right cleanser! I have always been a fan of Dan's stuff, though, very gentle cleanser.

I notice you are washing and moisturizing, but not medicating? Often times breakouts require some form of medication, you can get that in over the counter Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5% is generally considered the best concentration) or even Salyic Acid (alcohol based toners). For instance, my regimen goes as:

Morning/Night:

Wash with Dan's Cleanser

Apply 2.5% BP

Moisturize

It's a simple thing, but that middle step is what has saved my skin over the years!

I hear you about having trouble finding the right cleanser! I have always been a fan of Dan's stuff, though, very gentle cleanser.

I notice you are washing and moisturizing, but not medicating? Often times breakouts require some form of medication, you can get that in over the counter Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5% is generally considered the best concentration) or even Salyic Acid (alcohol based toners). For instance, my regimen goes as:

Morning/Night:

Wash with Dan's Cleanser

Apply 2.5% BP

Moisturize

It's a simple thing, but that middle step is what has saved my skin over the years!

Well, I was using Neutrogena Advanced solutions before this (It had 2.5% BP in the control lotion, even though it was a gel really). The BP dried out my face way too much and caused my skin to start to wrinkle. No amount of Jojoba or almond oil could moisturize my face, which was quite scary. And, I am medicating with the Tea tree oil. It is slightly less effective than BP in clinical tests and it does take longer to see results, but there's no peeling or sun sensitivity.

The cleanser in the Neutrogena system had salicylic acid and glycolic acid. I'm thinking of using that as my cleanser from now on. Any thoughts?

Edited by swdison

It sounds like you might have really sensitive skin, so that wash you mentioned might actually be a really good place to start from!

you shouldn't use any lotions or washes on face. i wash my face with olive oil, it doesn't log pores, great cheap moisterizer, and it keeps skin fromproducing more oil.

Guest Timehealsall

wow.. your acne is nothing at all man.. And someone mentioned that you have scarring? LOL. Did she mean hyper pigmentation?

Well, I was using Neutrogena Advanced solutions before this (It had 2.5% BP in the control lotion, even though it was a gel really). The BP dried out my face way too much and caused my skin to start to wrinkle. No amount of Jojoba or almond oil could moisturize my face, which was quite scary. And, I am medicating with the Tea tree oil. It is slightly less effective than BP in clinical tests and it does take longer to see results, but there's no peeling or sun sensitivity.

The cleanser in the Neutrogena system had salicylic acid and glycolic acid. I'm thinking of using that as my cleanser from now on. Any thoughts?

Have you tried using the salicylic acid in the form of a toner, or even switching to a moisturizer containing sal acid? it will be much more effective as a leave on treatment as oppose to something u just have on for a few secs and wash off, will give it time to work

Have you tried using the salicylic acid in the form of a toner, or even switching to a moisturizer containing sal acid? it will be much more effective as a leave on treatment as oppose to something u just have on for a few secs and wash off, will give it time to work

Well, that makes sense. But, I'm trying something new first. I use Dan's cleanser, pat face dry with towel (only used for this), apply CVS Aloe vera sensitive skin gel (alcohol, dye, fragrance free), and then I apply either Olay complete moisturizer with spf 15 if I'm going out or Dan's moisturizer if I just need some moisture. Finally, at night, instead of a moisturizer, I use Dan's AHA+ every night.

Currently, I'm breaking out in little whiteheads around my mouth. They're not inflamed, which is great. But, I do have an ingrown hair on my upper right cheek. Very noticeable and red. I also have two inflamed whiteheads coming on my chin. I'd say I'm purging from the AHA+.

I'm hoping by using products that are pH balanced (except the AHA+, of course), I can have an environment on my skin that will greatly reduce the presence of p.acnes bacteria.

it's not even close to severe. it's definitely a moderate case, mild actually. good luck on your quest, hopefully something clicks in for ya and you get clear.

Honestly, I would call that moderate. Categorizing acne is in the eye of the beholder, as I've learned from this site. What I've seen called "mild" is up for so much debate from every non-doctor that frequents here.

Have you seen a derm to get a prescription? It really might help you.

If I had your acne, I would be attacking it with Benzycline, (RX), or Dan's regimen.

A dermatologist will either give me BP (pretty sure my skin is far too sensitive for it), topical/oral antibiotics (not good in the long run, acne could come back worse), or a combo benzaclin (bad in both ways for me). I suppose Retin-a could be an option, though. Or other retinoids. Not sure which one is better: differin, adapalene, or retin-a/micro?

Also, the other thing is that getting an appointment takes forever. Like around 6 months, I've heard. And, my insurance blows. Well, at least the dental does. I assume the rest sucks as well.

EDIT: Here's some update pictures.

post-126980-1279756205.jpg

post-126980-1279756221.jpg

post-126980-1279756271.jpg

post-126980-1279756324.jpg

post-126980-1279756316.jpg

post-126980-1279756307.jpg

post-126980-1279756280.jpg

post-126980-1279756289.jpg

post-126980-1279756298.jpg

post-126980-1279756205.jpg

post-126980-1279756221.jpg

post-126980-1279756271.jpg

post-126980-1279756280.jpg

post-126980-1279756289.jpg

post-126980-1279756298.jpg

post-126980-1279756307.jpg

post-126980-1279756316.jpg

post-126980-1279756324.jpg

Edited by swdison

I'd say moderate. Seems like you know lots though which is a great start :)

Also: Retin-A Micro DESTROYED some of the worst acne I've ever had in my entire life in about two weeks. It was unstoppable along my hairline, it was horrific. It has to be Micro though, Retin-A is like gasoline and margarine all over your face. Sick