Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xandraa

Blood test after finishing course

At my last appointment my dermatologist told me to go for one last blood test a month after I took my last pill. She said it was so she could "close me out of the system". Why is this necessary? I'm no longer on accutane, and every single one of my blood tests have been fine, she said so herself. Now I really, really hate having venipuncture and I'm wondering if I can blow it off or if this will create problems? Anyone else been in this position?

i finished a few weeks ago and my derm didnt make me go get another blood test.

he just told me to make an appointment to come back in 3 months to make sure my skin is staying clear :)

so im not sure why yours is making you take another blood test...?

best to listen though i guess.

Yeah I thought it seemed kind of strange...especially since at my second-to-last appointment she told me that was the last time I'd need a blood test, and yet here's another. I have told her in the past how difficult having the blood test is for me. I have gotten physically sick and almost fainted. The only thing that helps is if I sit in that reclining chair thing.

I wonder if my derm would be upset with me if I "forgot" to have the test done? I do have to see her in 3 months for a follow up. I wonder if she'll even remember, she's been pretty forgetful about stuff like that before.

Hey!

My doctor does not want me to continue after 4 months of treatment. She says thats typically how long people go on it for and she didn't feel my case was severe enough to extend. She then said that since its my last month there is NO NEED to get a blood test done. The only thing that went up is my blood cholestrol but that is from Whey protein.

I want to extend another month just to be safe...but anyways my doc says no need for another test if your finishing up.

The only thing that went up is my blood cholestrol but that is from Whey protein.

Sorry to get off topic: but are you sure that Whey protein raised your cholesterol? http://www.fitnessguidelines.com/articles/...holesterol.html

xandraa: I'd go with your forgetfulness and not take the blood test. If she really wants you to do it, then she'll remind you I'm sure. It may be just a legal requirement to cover her against being sued if something happened to you in that regard.

The way my doctor explained it was so as not to piss iPledge off...if you should happen to need another course, they'll want you to have taken that last preggo test.

Nah i dont think ipledge is necessarily the reason, i finished accutane a week ago, and my derm too asked me to get a blood test 1month post accutane. I'm a guy and we dont even have ipledge in this country, so I think it is just to check everything is good. I'm just going to get it done since it costs me nothing and i have no problem with bloodtests at all, sorry that prob doesnt help lol.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/easily-ev...me-t255364.html

Take the last test and read this thread. I pledge hounded her and her doctor until she did.

I understand you don't like having your blood taken, but you made it this far through your course.

Then why isn't everyone required to have a blood test after finishing their course? If it's required by iPledge, it should be universal.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/easily-ev...me-t255364.html

Take the last test and read this thread. I pledge hounded her and her doctor until she did.

I understand you don't like having your blood taken, but you made it this far through your course.

Then why isn't everyone required to have a blood test after finishing their course? If it's required by iPledge, it should be universal.

I Pledge is only here in the U.S. If a doctor here in the U.S. didn't make someone take thier last lab, then they probably entered results that never existed, esspeically if it was a female due to they have to enter the last pregnancy test. Which is risky b/c if I Pledge or FDA found out they loose thier ability to prescribe accutane. 2009 30 physicans were banned from prescribing accutane due to this.

Hope this makes sense, better to take the test as you can see in the link I posted.

Just wanted to say I did go for the last bloodtest on Friday. The next day I got a notice in the mail from iPledge saying:

"Dear Patient,

Your first post-therapy Pregnancy Test Results (due upon completion of isotretinoin therapy) are overdue. Please arrange for the post-therapy pregnancy test with your doctor.

If yo have already completed your post-therapy pregnancy test, please disregard this message."

First post-therapy test? I hope they don't expect me to have any more. Anyway, to answer my own question, iPledge does indeed follow up on this.

Just wanted to say I did go for the last bloodtest on Friday. The next day I got a notice in the mail from iPledge saying:

"Dear Patient,

Your first post-therapy Pregnancy Test Results (due upon completion of isotretinoin therapy) are overdue. Please arrange for the post-therapy pregnancy test with your doctor.

If yo have already completed your post-therapy pregnancy test, please disregard this message."

First post-therapy test? I hope they don't expect me to have any more. Anyway, to answer my own question, iPledge does indeed follow up on this.

The way I understand it, you have one at the end of your course, then one 1 month after your course is over.

So if this is right after you finished your course, yeah, they expect you to get another.

To clarify, this is what my derm is having me do (I'm in my fifth of six months):

End of fifth month - blood test (cholesterol/liver/pregnancy)

End of sixth month - pee in a cup (just pregnancy)

One month after finish - blood test (cholesterol/liver/pregnancy)

Edited by headtrip_honey