Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and Food Intolerances

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/23/2010 11:21 am

Hey everyone,

Firstly, I'm a 22 year old male. Lately, I've really been considering going on Accutane. I've been on such a strict diet due to what I very well believe to be food intolerances that manifest themselves in the form of acne. While the diet and the regimen have helped, I'm just tired of always having to be so conscious about it. I figure one course of accutane then I'd be done dealing with it. Does anyone know if taking Accutane will stop acne even if it's caused by food intolerances?

Thanks for your help.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/23/2010 12:09 pm

As far as I know Accutane clears acne no matter what is the cause. I did the same as you, elimination diet, went to 2 food allergists, no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol etc. I also took every supplement known to help with acne. I tried everything diet-wise and it HELPS a lot but is not consistent, at least in my case. I am on Accutane now after all that.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/23/2010 12:13 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. How is Accutane working out for you so far?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/23/2010 2:36 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. How is Accutane working out for you so far?

I was on Accutane 10 whole years ago and it kept me completely clear for a longggggg time, for years. I was 18 my first time and now I'm 28 and starting to get a bit of acne back so I am on it again. It's tough being on it....the dry skin and dry lips are extreme! There are lots of other side effects you should look into before making a decision, although I haven't suffered any personally.

Also, who knows what effects it might have in the future even for me, it IS a powerful drug. Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/23/2010 3:58 pm

I figure one course of accutane then I'd be done dealing with it.

How do you figure that? Accutane did nothing for me and many people take several courses before it works. And even for those it does work, it often comes back and they take another course. And another and another. Don't you see the discussion threads in the adult and accutane forums with titles like 'About to take accutane for the fifth time.'

And no, I don't think it will help if it's an actual allergy. If it's some other type of food intolerance, maybe. It depends on what that food intolerance does to you.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/23/2010 6:00 pm

I figure one course of accutane then I'd be done dealing with it.

How do you figure that? Accutane did nothing for me and many people take several courses before it works. And even for those it does work, it often comes back and they take another course. And another and another. Don't you see the discussion threads in the adult and accutane forums with titles like 'About to take accutane for the fifth time.'

And no, I don't think it will help if it's an actual allergy. If it's some other type of food intolerance, maybe. It depends on what that food intolerance does to you.

Alternavista,

Do you stay completely clear with the diet/supplement regimen you follow? I've found that it helps a lot but after years of trying to pin point the culprit I'm still breaking out. How long did it take you of trial and error before you found lasting results? I am so curious as to why Accutane works so well for some people (I think I's say most people, would you? even if it doesn't last a lifetime) and not others like yourself. It worked for me for 7-8 years straight and now 10years later I'm still not as bad as I was when I first took it (not nearly). I wish I could have done it the natural way, since I am a natural health student lol!!! Good for you....

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/24/2010 3:10 am

lol at diet being the only way to relieve breakouts.

@esessa: Like you various foods gave me breakouts, let me give you an example. Chicken, yes i broke out from chicken in the form of inflamed whiteheads and i broke out it in between my eyebrows EVERYTIME i ate chicken. Im on my second month of accutane and on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday i ate chicken for the first time in 7 months and i haven't got any breakouts whatsoever this week.

I couldn't tell you how happy i was to eat this common food once again without getting a breakout.

Give it a shot you're 22 dude its your choice, if you feel that uncomfortable while you're on it then you can always stop.

MemberMember
(@panic)

Posted : 04/24/2010 6:58 pm

First off Esessa what is your diet like right now. I mean specifically? You say your avoiding common allergens like gluten, dairy etc, but why don't you type out what you usually eat through out the day. Chances are even if your gluten free, your still eating too many refined carbs.

I agree with Alternavista as usual! haha

Accutane is not a solution to acne; its a band-aid, a large one at that and your acne will return at some point.

For those of you who are frustrated with strict diets and elimination methods, it DOES suck at first, but then your body gets use to eating the nutrients it needs and you feel so much better! Also its always going to be hard to change your diet so drastically in a few months after years of eating crap.

The good news is many food sensitivities (not allergies) can be effectively cleared through these diets if you stay away from the offending food for long enough (usually at least a couple months) and let your digestive tract heal.

It can definitely be frustrating and a trail and error event, but once you find the CAUSE of your acne, you'll be surprised at how easily it will clear up through diet.

Diet is not EVERYTHING in terms of acne, but its about 85%! Diet, Vitamins, Water, Exercise, Good Sleep and eliminating stress is the formula..... its your job to figure out the specific parts and dosages that work for you.

If chicken breaks you out; eliminate it and eat other forms of protein for a while. If it still breaks you out 2-3 months down the road then you might have an actual allergy to chicken. But chances are most of the sensitivities that pop up are things that most of us eat in excess and finally start to show their visual symptoms after years of abuse.

Good luck and I would recommend going on a Paleo type diet before you decide to do Accutane. Just keep the sugars low- non existent and you'll be amazed.

PANIC

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/24/2010 7:25 pm

Hey, my diet is primarily poultry, beef, and vegetables (and I make sure that I have a very low sugar and sodium intake). I've also lost too much weight as a result of these dietary restrictions, which concerns me too (I'm a male, 5'8.5", and about 120 lbs).

I drink plenty of water and exercise on a daily basis. Since my acne is not severe, but still a constant source of anxiety and annoyance, I figure that if I do go on accutane, it has a pretty good chance of clearing it. I

think I've gotten very clear as a result of this diet, but that's not really the only issue. I'd like to be able to indulge every once in a while and go out with friends, eat more "fun" and regular food alike. Instead of constantly having to keep it under check through diet, sleep, the regimen, etc., I think that accutane may be a more permanent solution (especially considering mine isnt severe).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/24/2010 7:55 pm

Esessa,

Have you considered that your acne might be hormonal and meat might be the culprit? If you're not eating grains, dairy, gluten etc and only veggies and meat and are still breaking out perhaps you should consider that.

Also, it's true as Panic stated that Accutane is a band-aid of sorts, because if your acne is due to food sensitivities/allergies then your body is telling you "hey this stuff is not working for me here". As horrible as acne is, it can also be a good indication of what you are doing right and wrong with it. If you are harming your body by consuming foods that cause a bad reaction inside of you, by going on accutane and clearing your face you are not fixing the problem, internally your body will still be crying out for help!

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/24/2010 8:12 pm

I think it might be hormonal and even due to stress to an extent, but I know that the other culprits (dairy, grains, gluten) have broken me out. I really don't think meat does, as I've tracked it and never (or very rarely) experienced a breakout afterwards.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/24/2010 9:20 pm

I think it might be hormonal and even due to stress to an extent, but I know that the other culprits (dairy, grains, gluten) have broken me out. I really don't think meat does, as I've tracked it and never (or very rarely) experienced a breakout afterwards.

wow, this sounds just like me.

Stress has contributed to my acne but what are we suppose to do about it? A B-complex has been mentioned a lot but i regularly supplemented with that and during my exam periods i still broke out. My acne is part hormonal as well since everytime i ejaculate i would breakout (and to this day i have not heard an actual solution to this).

I decided to go on accutane because at 22, i cant imagine myself at the age of 29 (or going into my 30's) still look for the 'root cause of my acne'.

MemberMember
(@panic)

Posted : 04/25/2010 3:42 pm

How old are you? Yeah 5'8 120 is very thin for a guy. My initial thought is you might have a parasite infection and or possibly candida over-growth.

Do you have any of these symptoms as well:

-dandruff

-itchy skin

-jock itch

-rectal itch

-constipation or irregular bowel movements

-white coated tongue

-mood swings

-cold hands and feet

-dry cracking skin anywhere on your body

What about taking anti-biotics for long periods of time at any point in your life? Were you a frequently sick growing up? Any major surgeries?

PANIC

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/26/2010 3:31 pm

Panic!! said:
How old are you? Yeah 5'8 120 is very thin for a guy. My initial thought is you might have a parasite infection and or possibly candida over-growth.

-dandruff

-itchy skin

-jock itch

-rectal itch

-white coated tongue

-mood swings

-cold hands and feet

What about taking anti-biotics for long periods of time at any point in your life? Were you a frequently sick growing up? Any major surgeries?

PANIC

That does sound alot like me. Sometimes I do get colds hands and feet for no reason and experience mood swings. Honestly, this makes alot more sense than having alot of food intolerances: it's highly unlikely that I have so many food intolerances. I was looking on the internet, and I found that this is a pretty popular product to treat Candida infections. Have you heard of it?

https://www.amazon.com/Threelac-Probiotic-Dietary-Supplement-053-Ounce/product-reviews/B000F4H5U4/

MemberMember
(@panic)

Posted : 04/26/2010 6:27 pm

Oh only if it were so simple with Candida bro.

Yeah I've heard of all the Candida products such as Threelac, Primal Defense, Candigone etc

And while they all help to kill candida, the problem is they don't eliminate it so it keeps coming back.

Candida is something that takes a very very radical aggressive approach. The only proven cure for eliminating Candida and keeping it away for good is a 90-180 day rapid diet change and the use of anti-fungals and probiotics.

Basically put, you will have to eliminate ALL forms of sugar from your diet (bread, pasta, rice, cookies, candy, wheat, fruit etc) and live off of animal protein, fat and veggies.

Use the search function and look up Candida and start educating yourself, its A LOT of trial and error.

Just know that in most cases, acne does not occur by itself. Its usually one of many other symptoms that present themselves when the body is out of balance for whatever reason (stress, injury, poor diet, lack of sleep etc)

PANIC

MemberMember
(@panic)

Posted : 04/26/2010 6:34 pm

Actually read Brenton's thread to get an idea of what you need to do. Like I said it won't be easy, but if you really want to get rid of your acne and other symptoms without taking tons of prescription meds this is the absolute best way if you are suffering from Candida over-growth.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Diet-isn-...37#entry2856837

PANIC

MemberMember
(@pimpstick)

Posted : 04/27/2010 12:39 pm

esessa said:
Panic!! said:

-dandruff

-itchy skin

-jock itch

-rectal itch

-white coated tongue

-mood swings

-cold hands and feet

PANIC

That does sound alot like me. Sometimes I do get colds hands and feet for no reason and experience mood swings. Honestly, this makes alot more sense than having alot of food intolerances: it's highly unlikely that I have so many food intolerances. I was looking on the internet, and I found that this is a pretty popular product to treat Candida infections. Have you heard of it?

https://www.amazon.com/Threelac-Probiotic-Dietary-Supplement-053-Ounce/product-reviews/B000F4H5U4/

Most of those symptoms, besides the butt itch, could be attributed to your frighteningly low body weight and the fact that it looks like dietary fat is absent from you diet. I think you should man up and eat more and see if those go away.

MemberMember
(@esessa)

Posted : 04/27/2010 2:26 pm

Pimpstick said:
esessa said:
Panic!! said:

-dandruff

-itchy skin

-jock itch

-rectal itch

-white coated tongue

-mood swings

-cold hands and feet

PANIC

Most of those symptoms, besides the butt itch, could be attributed to your frighteningly low body weight and the fact that it looks like dietary fat is absent from you diet. I think you should man up and eat more and see if those go away.

I'd really like to, but whenever I increase my dietary fat intake from things like nuts and high-fat meats, I seem to break out more than gain weight. Even when I cared less what I ate, I still never exceeded 130.

MemberMember
(@panic)

Posted : 04/27/2010 3:08 pm

Most people that think fat, specifically fats from meat break them out are actually reacting to the plethora of hormones and anti-biotics in the poor quality meat they buy.

Definitely buy organic meat and you'll see a huge difference, not only in your skin, but the taste of the food.

PANIC

MemberMember
(@curious95)

Posted : 11/15/2018 12:04 am

On 4/25/2010 at 3:42 PM, Panic!! said:

-dandruff

-itchy skin

-jock itch

-rectal itch

-white coated tongue

-mood swings

-cold hands and feet

PANIC

Panic,

I have very similar symptoms and this sounds a lot like me. My dermatologist initially prescribed Accutane but Im going in again to get checked for candida. I was hoping if you can provide me with a source on where you got this list of symptoms, so that I can share it with my doc when I see her next. Thanks in advance.