Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niko13

What to use when trying to get pregnant??????

I am 30 years old and have had mild to moderate cystic acne since I was 13yo. I was able to get it under control using derm. prescribed products (benzoyl preoxide wash, differin cream), however any time I have stopped using the products, of course my acne would return. I have stopped developing cysts since I began to limit dairy products about 2 years ago. I have also discovered that my acne is cyclic and dependent on my hormones

My current issue is that my husband and I are trying to get pregnant and my derm told me that I should stop using anything that has retin-A, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. So we have been trying for 4 months...I'm not pregnant and and my skin isn't a complete mess, but I do get numerous breakouts around my chin/jaw area that take so long to go away, by the time they go away, I'm developing more. HELP!!!!!!

I am 30 years old and have had mild to moderate cystic acne since I was 13yo. I was able to get it under control using derm. prescribed products (benzoyl preoxide wash, differin cream), however any time I have stopped using the products, of course my acne would return. I have stopped developing cysts since I began to limit dairy products about 2 years ago. I have also discovered that my acne is cyclic and dependent on my hormones

My current issue is that my husband and I are trying to get pregnant and my derm told me that I should stop using anything that has retin-A, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. So we have been trying for 4 months...I'm not pregnant and and my skin isn't a complete mess, but I do get numerous breakouts around my chin/jaw area that take so long to go away, by the time they go away, I'm developing more. HELP!!!!!!

Hi,

Benzoyl Peroxide is a pregnancy category C - this means that there is insufficient research on it to determine its safety. This means that some doctors are fine with you using it and some are not. Many people use Dan's regimen whilst they are pregnant.

Salicylic acid is usually fine, provided that you stick to over-the-counter remedies and not peels which have a much higher concentration in them. Again there is mixed opinion on this.

Retin-A - you should not use this as it has been linked to birth defects, especially when taken orally as accutane/roaccutane.

You should seek advice from your doctor, there are things that you can do. Clindamycin topical antibiotic and erthromycin oral and topical are considered safe during pregnancy and when trying to conceive. I had a friend who used azelaic acid (skinoren/azelex) when she was pregnant and it was really good. It's also safe to use when pregnant and trying to conceive.

Supplements such as Zinc and B5 can also help. Hormone regulating supplements such as Vitex can be good, but you will need to check you can take these when ttc.

There's something called "chasteberry" (named so because in the past it was used to lower the libido of monks to help them keep their vows of chastity, although there's not really any evidence supporting that it did any such thing :rolleyes: ). Supposedly it's really good at helping regulate women's hormones, which would be helpful to you considering breakouts on the chin and jawline area are indicative of hormonal issues. As an added bonus, it's also used for fertility in women! :cool: Here's a website I found with some information on it. I'm not sure yet if you can still take it when you actually get pregnant, but when I find out, I'll let you know :think:

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/vitex.html

Edit: It looks like you're not supposed to take it once you get pregnant, as you're supposed to stop as soon as you get a positive on a pregnancy test. Hmmm.. Well I guess it could help for a little while? :shrug:

Edited by whoalisa