Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakejohnson007

[sensitive skin] How do I get healthy skin / good complexion??? (please reply)

Hey. I'm a 24-year-old male and have had acne since age 13 or so. But my question isn't really about acne, it's more about good hygiene. How do I get healthy-looking facial skin? Note that I seem to have VERY SENSITIVE skin.

Using gentle cleanser alone is aggravating and damaging, causes more oil to be produced which leads to acne.

So, if I am to use cleanser I must use moisturizer as well for hydration. But moisturizer seems to make my face look shiny and seems to cause blotchiness and irritation. Even a gentle moisturizer such as Purpose spf 15.

Now that I'm an adult I don't get that much acne, just a few small whiteheads a week and some red bumps. But my skin is blotchy and broken and red and looks TERRIBLE. I'm pretty convinced that if I can get healthy skin, clear skin will follow. THe trouble is any product I put on seems to be irritating.

I'm considering using just water alone. When I was on Accutane all I did was shower 1x a day and let water from the showerhead wash my face, then pat dry after the shower. I had basically perfect skin! Thoughts on this?

Is it reeealy necessary to cleanse? to moisturize? Help please. :ninja:

Edited by jakejohnson007

I notice that whenever i use cleanser my face looks worse and more red for a day or two to follow. If i dont use cleanser for 2 days my skin looks perfect.

you might want to find a gentler cleanser. something without salicylic acid and/or bp. you could try the oil cleansing method. that will clean your skin as well as keep it hydrated. i honestly believe moisture is key. i mean if you look at your body and if you have dry skin, that area doesnt look that great. there might be flakes of skin, redness and even cracking but if you moisturize that could change a lot. yes, skin on the body is different from the skin on the face however they are similar in many ways as well.

you might want to find a gentler cleanser. something without salicylic acid and/or bp. you could try the oil cleansing method. that will clean your skin as well as keep it hydrated. i honestly believe moisture is key. i mean if you look at your body and if you have dry skin, that area doesnt look that great. there might be flakes of skin, redness and even cracking but if you moisturize that could change a lot. yes, skin on the body is different from the skin on the face however they are similar in many ways as well.

Thanks for your reply. I have been using the gentlest of the gentle cleansers: purpose, cetaphil, acne.org cleanser, etc. The result is the same. Although my skin looks better initially, it becomes oilier as the day goes on and becomes very oily and blotchy by the end of the day. If I use water only, oil levels are kept in-check wonderfully. Cleanser seems to strip moisture badly. Of course I could moisturize after to control oil level, but moisturizer burns a bit and mostly sits on top of the skin even if I spend a long time rubbing it in, and seems to cause acne for sure as well. So moisturizer feels bad (it feels mildly irritating), looks greasy, and does not seem to heal complexion or blotchiness - it seems to make these worse, actually.

I notice that whenever i use cleanser my face looks worse and more red for a day or two to follow. If i dont use cleanser for 2 days my skin looks perfect.

I've had similar experiences. I talked to two girls I know recently with beautiful skin. Neither uses cleanser, ever (though one exfoliates 2x a week). They splash a bit of water on 1x a day. And they both moisturize. But I think I don't need moisture since my skin doesn't feel that dry/tight as long as I don't use cleanser.

Any more insights or personal experiences for healthy skin? (again not really concerned about treating the acne, just want healthy, happy skin)

Yes, try not using a cleanser. And you could moisturize with a tiny bit of oil applied to wet skin or with wet fingers so you can apply it really thinly.

If you want perfect skin add a Retinol and AHA into your routine. Or you can just buy an Vitamin C serum which will make your skin glow and look nice. But will not correct any problems such as acne or hyper-pigmentation.

I have very dry, sensitive skin and understand where you're coming from. Another problem may be that your cleanser is not really cleaning well. I found that Cetaphil never completely removed my makeup or sunscreen.

My favorite cleanser has been one from Cosmedicine, which is a dual phase cleanser/toner. It goes on dry and feels oily at first. This is to remove things like makeup and sunscreen, but when you add water, it lathers a bit and rinses clean. My skin usually gets tight if I don't moisturize immediately after wetting it, but with the Cosmedicine cleanser, it wasn't tight. Unfortunately, it's a pricey product, so I've found similar results with Aveeno's Gentle Foaming Cleanser.

Your skin may be producing so much sebum because it's not hydrated properly. Hydrating isn't really the same as moisturizing. I have tried all sorts of creams and lotions and most would sit on my skin's surface and not absorb. The result is the skin feeling tight and painful, but would feel oily on the surface. My current moisturizer, Bioperformance from Shiseido, contains hyaluronic acid, which is a super hydrator. It's expensive, but is the only product that actually absorbs and keeps my skin from feeling tight. It may not work for you, but I found relief from the tightness and irritation. You may need to just shop around. You may feel uncomfortable going to a cosmetics counter, but it doesn't hurt to try. Most companies will give out samples of products if you explain them that you have sensitive skin and that you're scared of a flare-up.

I also recommend using a moisturizing toner/liquid lotion before putting on your normal moisturizer. They are usually light and absorb quickly to hydrate the skin. Regular moisturizer I put on afterwards to help seal in the moisture and protect it from harsh elements (wind, cold, radiator heat etc.) and of course, for long-term hydration.

Lastly, check that your water temperature is not too hot. I sometimes get patches of dry, red, scaly skin on my cheeks (the driest and most sensitive part of my face) if I've taken a really long shower and stuck my face under the stream for too long.

I know I've listed several products that are catered to women, but it might be worth it to find a regimin that works to cleanse, hydrate and most of all, keep your sensitive skin as calm as possible, since some of your acne may be due to all the irritation.

Edited by cml