Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sydney Girl

Doctor won't prescribe me Retin-A =(

Hey Guys,

Been suffering with some of the worse acne of my life. Tried everything that you can think of when it comes to over the counter products. Yesterday I got fed up and decided to make a doctors appointment. I have read some great reviews when it comes to retin-a, Although the breaking out part doesn't sound to appealing. I asked my doctor about retin-a and he said "Why would you want that? that isn't for acne, its more for wrinkles". He prescribed me so eryacne 2% Gel.. I have been using it just for a day but it hasn't made any change.

I have these little skin coloured lumps all over my cheeks and chin. I heard they were clogged pores and Retin-A can release them. Anyone had the same problem?

So, My real question is, How did everyone get there doctor to prescribe them Retin-A?

Wow, your doctor defiantly knows nothing about how to treat acne. Retin-a was made as an acne treatment FIRST, and only after people with acne used retin-a was it discovered that it has other benefits.

You should definatly either go to another doctor, or ask to be referred to a dermatologist. They know what they're doing (Most of the time).

I'm not sure what Eryacne is, but judging by your doctor's lack of knowledge, I can't imagine it's very good. Although you should never expect to see difference in a day, a week, or even a month sometimes. But like I said, I don't have much faith in this doctor of yours.

Hope this helps

Just looked up "eryacne" I guess it's Eurythromycin, which is a topical antibiotic. This would work okay for large inflamed pimples, but will do absolutely nothing for your comedones that you say you have.

Thank you guys for your posts.

I'm going to try another doctor this time. And perhaps if they don't prescribe it for me, I'll go to a derm.

As for the eryacne, it's day three, Works great on cystic acne. Not doing anything for the comedones.

hey Sydney girl, i'm also from sydney- i was prescribed retina A from Dr Ting at UNSW Health. she's not a derm, but she's a great doctor maybe you should go to her? she knows her stuff. good luck!

Thank you for the advice fellow Sydney Sider, So I just got back from a different doctor. I asked for Retin-A again!! He said that he doesn't want to put me on Retin-A just yet, He gave me a script for Doryx 50mg and Differin 1%. Told me to stick it out for three weeks and if no response to the medication, he will give me retin-a.

I use a weak retin- a and I don't think it's that amazing for acne, although it definitely helps. What I love about it though is that it has improved the texture of my skin. It has improved my scarring and, better yet, ironed out my forehead wrinkles. I love it.