Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sameer

Self Caused acne??Lolwut?

Well from like 13years old i've messed around with acne medications to "prevent" acne, and bam, here i am 3 years later WITH acne. I used to have perfect skin before using the meds, but im unsure if i should stop... im on minocyclin now. Just to make things clear, at 13 i didnt use minocyclin, i was just using salicylic acid treatments on my face daily.

could this have caused it? or is it just genetics?

I would think that entering your mid-teens is the primary reason why your acne has increased in severity, rather than any products you may have used in the past.

Everyone had perfect skin until they got acne.

Im not the biggest expert on this, but i do know some people claim that acne products mess up their natural skin PH. The skin has an acid mantle and products could hurt it. There is also the possibility of the products changing your skin, of your skin getting too dry, of the products being pore clogging, of you being allergic to something in the products, of you touching your face too much while applying the products, or of more than one factor combined...you just never know, but it is possible imho

I agree with Maximus0's statement about unbalanced PH and it causing acne to worsen. I just went to the skin clinic last week and the lady there told me that acne products that do not take into consideration the PH balance can make skin worse. BP she said is one of the bigger offenders. I don't know much about SA, I do know when I used a cleanser with SA in it my acne got worse, however this could have been purging because it helps the skin turnover a little quicker than it would on it's own. If your skin gets too dry it will kick out more oil and you could break out from that (i learned the hard way) Try to keep it hydrated.

Your acne is more than likely caused by you being in your mid-teens. Just when my son thought his was clearing up, he has broken out in quite a face-full, he is 16 1/2. He has been sneaking into my Azelex and it works well for him. Give the Mino about 3 months to work, that is about how long it took me to see results. It helped quite a bit. Whatever regime u get yourself on try to be loyal to it, I have found that skipping a step or slacking on a regime that is working can make it so you have to start all over again. Good luck.

I think i gave myself acne aswell. I had perfect skin until i was 17 and my mum and dad never had acne and my brothers never have even a spot. Im 20 now nd i think ive just ruined my skin but im to scared to stop everything completely.

I agree with Lemmy, it's more likely a product of age than anything else. Hormones often don't start really surging until mid teens, and that's often the biggest catalyst for acne. Multiple treatments can acerbate acne, but rarely do they cause acne if the hormonal set up isn't there.

Edited by Elsewhere

Aha i see

i forgot to mention when i first started using these products i was "product-stupid"

and didn't know how to use them

i added like probably triple the amount needed on my face and didnt know what moisturizer was :o

now im just using water and moisturizer and oddly enough it improved significantly, now i just have blackheads and redness O_O

how could i get rid of blackheads on cheeks? i heard they never go away