Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

Chipotle Restaurant Chain

Thought you might be interested in this. The founder, Steve Ellis, often appears on television along with the Food Inc people and the Omnivore's Dilemma author Michael Pollan. They have a mission to find the most natural, healthy and local sources for their food at each restaurant. They call it food with integrity.

Here's a presentation he made to the senate. http://www.chipotle.com/PAMTA/

I've been volunteering at a school garden project and yesterday someone from Chipotle came to speak and show the documentary 'What's on Your Plate.' I was skeptical about what they meant by 'natural', especially when it came to animal products, but they seem to have the same definition I have and do their best to find sources that meet it. It's more difficult in some areas than others.

They have a simple menu with chicken, beef, pork or vegetarian options in the form of burrito, taco, bowl or salad. If you go, I'd choose a salad version which is the topping on a bed of romaine, which is a very nutrient dense lettuce. The burritos have a lot of rice and are wrapped in big flour tortilla. The bowls also contain a lot of rice. Not that that's bad depending on your opinion of eating grains, but romaine lettuce is a lot better.

Note: I was particularly interested in Steve Ellis' comment that they wanted to find other ways to cut costs to allow them to serve better quality food at a reasonable price. I love that. That's what I've always said. Not about food, but say about employment layoffs in a company full of stupid waste, for instance. Why can't they turn off the lights and shut down all the computers and equipment every night and turn up the AC a couple degrees first? Same with schools. The presentation I attended was in a computer classroom and all the PC and monitors were left on overnight. I digress, but I just think that's smart and anything else is stupid. Spend the money on the important things. Same with individuals making food choices.

I was also interested in Ellis' statement that properly raised pigs were one of the first sources he'd found. That's what I was most skeptical about. And this: 'the Wall Street Journal said that Chipotle “has arguably become the most successful fast-food chain in recent years by rejecting almost every major technique on which the industry was built.â€

extra rice

black beans

chicken

mild and medium salsa

cheese

sour cream

+ a coke

=

perfection :D

extra rice

black beans

chicken

mild and medium salsa

cheese

sour cream

+ a coke

=

perfection :D

Far from perfection. Definitely lose the coke and add iced tea with lemon which is perfection.

... my fav is three soft tacos with carnitas, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, guac, lettuce ... I have a Chipotle really close to my home and I get this AT LEAST once a week!

I've never tried it, but now I will! I love Mexican food, but don't eat at many restaurants because the food quality is usually crap. Do they use hormone/antibiotic free meats and chicken?

I've never tried it, but now I will! I love Mexican food, but don't eat at many restaurants because the food quality is usually crap. Do they use hormone/antibiotic free meats and chicken?

they do use all hormone free meats and dairy. they also avoid using things like pesticides in their produce. additionally they purchase products from small farmers across the US to avoid coorporate farming.

Definitely think chipotle is one of the best options out there but I never liked how they cook a lot of the food in soy oil.

Definitely think chipotle is one of the best options out there but I never liked how they cook a lot of the food in soy oil.

From what I know, the only thing they do that with is the Green Pepper and Onions side.

From what I know, the only thing they do that with is the Green Pepper and Onions side.

The chips are cooked in soy oil. I'm pretty sure the salad dressing has soy oil in it. And I know the rice has vegetable oil in it which is also probably soy oil.

Damn, that's a bit depressing, lol. I've been trying to avoid vegetable oil whenever possible and here at Chipotle they're putting it on things that don't even need it, like the rice, why do you need soy oil on rice? It's not even fried.

Chipotle is soooo good. I always pass on the the chips and drink though because the burritos themselves are around 800-1100 calories.

yes depending on what you get the burritos can be high in calories. the size of the tortillas are pretty huge.

i like to get 2 soft tacos instead of the burrito.

chipotle is a great company with morals about the environment, health and animals. freshly made food. yummy. cheap.

only thing that would be great is if they didn't serve any type of soda, especially Coke because of their horrible environmental and 3rd world community consequences of how the company gets their water for their products.

also: from what i've read about the ingredients there is no oil in the rice.

Damn, that's a bit depressing, lol. I've been trying to avoid vegetable oil whenever possible and here at Chipotle they're putting it on things that don't even need it, like the rice, why do you need soy oil on rice? It's not even fried.

I asked myself that same question when I was in a Chipotle in San Francisco and saw them pouring the oil into their rice. I believe part of the reason is to make sure the rice doesn't clump together. A lot of Indian restaurants do this as well.

I asked myself that same question when I was in a Chipotle in San Francisco and saw them pouring the oil into their rice. I believe part of the reason is to make sure the rice doesn't clump together. A lot of Indian restaurants do this as well.

That was probably the lime juice. The rice is made with lime juice and cilantro.

That was probably the lime juice. The rice is made with lime juice and cilantro.

No, I'm pretty sure it was an oil and most likely soy oil. LOL, I'm probably spending too much time on this but the chipotle site has a listing of allergens. The rice has soy in it.

http://www.chipotle.com/Chipotle_Allergen_Card.pdf

On the bottom of the page it says "soybean oil the only soy based ingredient we use." That would mean that soybean oil is added to the rice...

Edited by mike_wf

Chipotle is soooo good. I always pass on the the chips and drink though because the burritos themselves are around 800-1100 calories.

Pass on the burrito too, and get a salad and you are also avoiding the soy oil in the rice.

No, I'm pretty sure it was an oil and most likely soy oil. LOL, I'm probably spending too much time on this but the chipotle site has a listing of allergens. The rice has soy in it.

http://www.chipotle.com/Chipotle_Allergen_Card.pdf

On the bottom of the page it says "soybean oil the only soy based ingredient we use." That would mean that soybean oil is added to the rice...

Damn, seems like they put soy in EVERYTHING... eek, no thanks.

I almost always break out after eating at Chipotle. It may be the soy oil that they dump into everything, including the chicken / steak / rice / green peppers & onions, etc. I believe pork is the only item on the menu that doesn't contain soy oil.

Don't pass on the burrito's, thats what they are known for!

and IMO, Qdoba is better :) Better tortillas, they have excellent queso, and better chicken.