Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've heard and read that fish oil can cause oily skin. If so, why are so many people raving about it? I have oily skin naturally.... so I def. do not want to be taking something that is going to increase oily production. I've been taking fish oil for 8 years.... any suggestions?

It seems to vary really, for myself it caused my skin to get much more oily and caused breakouts. For others it has helped there skin, i guess you dont know how it will effect your skin until you give it ago.

Yes, the effects of fish oil seem to vary greatly from person to person. For me, it helped to REDUCE the oiliness of my skin a lot. It also seemed to improve the health of my hair and scalp. But, it made me break out in cystic acne (something I usually don't get too often).

Edited by King Rat

Fish oils have helped me SOOOOOOOOOO much with no bad side effects. Im talkng taking them orally of course. But i dont just take them directly, there in my RxOmega-3 Factors pill along with a bunch of other omega 3 stuff =P

I say it helps a tremendous amount.

It doesn't matter if it's "OILY". Of course it's oil, it's a type of fatty acid.

But, it's an Omega 3 fatty acid.

Omega 3 fatty acids are essential in the diet for many things... brain development (about 50% of the cell membrane in brain tissue is composed of docohexanoic acid... DHA)

But also the anti-inflammatory response... So it will decrease the amount of reddness and inflammation, swelling... etc.

Omega 6 is like the opposite to omega 3. It will cause the inflammation response and is not good for your acne... but at the same time your body does need some omega 6 as well... and some inflammation is actually necessary for certain functions of the body.

The best ratio is a 1 to 1 ratio of omega 3 fatty acid intake to omega 6 fatty acid intake.

A typical North American will have an intake of about 1 to 30... as high as 1 to 100 even.

Think about all the cooking oils you use to make foods... vegetable oils, etc... All omega 6.

Excessive amounts of omega 6 in ratios like this can lead to a wide range of inflammatory disease. It will make your acne even worse in high ratios... leading to excessive redness and swelling.