Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My son (17) has been prescribed Tazorac at night and aczone in the morning ...also a gly med face wash. After 12 days he's worse than ever, and the face wash hurts like h*ll. Should he keep at this ? Should he be using tazorac every night? Can he use benzyl peroxide (which he has for his back) on top of Tazorac or Aczone ? He is also on doxycycline.

I am at a loss and don't know how to help...any advice please !

I'd say start using the Tazorac once every two days one week, then every other day the next week, and then every night the next. This gives the skin a chance to get used to the med. I wouldn't add benzoyl peroxide on top of the other meds; that's too much for most skin to handle. Make sure he is only using the recommended pea-sized amount of each med. Also look into a non-medicated face wash instead to minimize irritation. But if things are really bad, you should talk to his derm about what to do. Good luck!

That sounds about right in reply to the above post.

What type of tazorac. the gel or cream! and what %. .5 or 1%. Tazorac is like the strongest topical and like all medication it will gets worse b4 it gets better

That sounds about right in reply to the above post.

What type of tazorac. the gel or cream! and what %. .5 or 1%. Tazorac is like the strongest topical and like all medication it will gets worse b4 it gets better

He's on 1%, and I'm going to suggest he try using it every other night and see how that works. I have also bought him a mild Aveno cleanser to see if this is less irritating than the Glymed. Ta for all your help...