Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sportsguy23

So I took my shot at scar revision..and failed.

:(

This is mainly a rant.

What I've done:

Subcision Last June

Results:

My largest rolling scar somewhat improved....Line-like scar next to that area...somewhat noticeable...

Upset with that.

Dermabrasion in November:

results:

Skin maybe more "contoured"...results from subcision taken away...rolling scar appears to have opened back up.

new line-like scar above the dermabraded area on right cheek (only did partial dermabrasion right cheek)

Overall skin is still reddish/pinkish 5 mos. 2 weeks out and this persistent tiny whitehead. I am being patient with the discoloration but it's painful as well...but main issue is that in certain lights it maybe looks a BIT better..but in OTHER lights it looks MUCH worse... Not sure what to think anymore...but this also makes me extremely depressed.

I took a shot and failed.

I trusted my doc and even though had so so results from subcision I trusted him and went into the worst regret of my life: Dermabrasion.

Althought my left cheek is relatively scar free...my right one seems to look awful. It is very very upsetting.... :( Not sure what to do. Got a 2nd docs opinion and said to wait it out for now.

Will go see original doc at end of May and see what he says but overall I am upset and demoralized and maybe just going to give up on scar revision.

The only things I am thinking of doing...is maybe a course of hydroquinone to improve marks on right cheek and discoloration...Maybe a few chemical peels in a year from now...not sure if anything else...

I'm sorry to hear that, man.

Unfortunately, most people here, including myself, have made some bad decisions in being too aggressive with treatment/trusting docs too early. In my case I spent 5k on lasers with no results!

My advice is to get a few professional opinions once it's healed up, and go in with a less aggressive mindset, and perhaps try a certain procedure on one scar to see how you respond.

What docs did you see and who performed the procedures. Plastic surgeons or dermatologists?

good luck.

both the same dermatologist, board certified, practicing for years, in all sorta of things certified in dermatapathology (or however you spell it) as well and experienced in dermatologic surgery.

Mainly the second procedure made me much more upset. I'll let it heal and hopefully it will get to a point where I can be comfortable (especially with the pigment)

That will probably improve things somewhat...but more over the scar is what the scar is so I can tell what it will look like and collagen will rebuild but overall it is what it is...maybe slow progressive improvements.

I'm goign to find a new local derm that I can go to slowly over time. That will be a start. And I'll always consult a secondary one that doesn't do procedures to see if it is the correct move.

doc had been doing subcision for 15 years...as I said the subcision wasn't the worst procedure just created a linear type scar...but his decision to do dermabrasion on me seems to have been a bad one. I guess a little early to tell need to wait 8-12 months and it's been 5 months 2 days. We'll see I suppose.

how long does it take for the skin to heal after subcision? do you have any pictures before and after the procedure?

:(

This is mainly a rant.

What I've done:

Subcision Last June

Results:

My largest rolling scar somewhat improved....Line-like scar next to that area...somewhat noticeable...

Upset with that.

Dermabrasion in November:

results:

Skin maybe more "contoured"...results from subcision taken away...rolling scar appears to have opened back up.

new line-like scar above the dermabraded area on right cheek (only did partial dermabrasion right cheek)

Overall skin is still reddish/pinkish 5 mos. 2 weeks out and this persistent tiny whitehead. I am being patient with the discoloration but it's painful as well...but main issue is that in certain lights it maybe looks a BIT better..but in OTHER lights it looks MUCH worse... Not sure what to think anymore...but this also makes me extremely depressed.

I took a shot and failed.

I trusted my doc and even though had so so results from subcision I trusted him and went into the worst regret of my life: Dermabrasion.

Althought my left cheek is relatively scar free...my right one seems to look awful. It is very very upsetting.... :( Not sure what to do. Got a 2nd docs opinion and said to wait it out for now.

Will go see original doc at end of May and see what he says but overall I am upset and demoralized and maybe just going to give up on scar revision.

The only things I am thinking of doing...is maybe a course of hydroquinone to improve marks on right cheek and discoloration...Maybe a few chemical peels in a year from now...not sure if anything else...

I'm sorry sportsguy. That sucks. I hate hearing how scar treatments dont work. Its our only fucking hope and they dont work sometimes, and there is no guarantee you actually come out of the procedure looking better. But I think you should continue on and dont give up. Its going to take more than one treatment for any of us to be happy. Do you mind posting some pictures ? I need to get subcision one day and I want to see all the pics I can.