Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kosmic

How do you take your spiro?

Hi

I am an aldactone/spiro newbie and am wondering what you have found is the best way to administer your spiro to reduce the side effects? I understand it is good to take at the same time everyday but has anyone found that side effects are less when you take two dosages (am & pm) or is it better to take the full dose at night etc?

I have started off on 50mg (25mg in am, 25mg in pm). My derm wants me to take 100mg but I am so worried about taking it in the first place. I have taken it for 7 days and am feeling a little tired. However, I remain optimistic because of all the positive results other people have had.

I appreciate you letting me know what you have found has worked for you.

Thanks!

Edited by Kosmic

Hi

I am an aldactone/spiro newbie and am wondering what you have found is the best way to administer your spiro to reduce the side effects? I understand it is good to take at the same time everyday but has anyone found that side effects are less when you take two dosages (am & pm) or is it better to take the full dose at night etc?

I have started off on 50mg (25mg in am, 25mg in pm). My derm wants me to take 100mg but I am so worried about taking it in the first place. I have taken it for 7 days and am feeling a little tired. However, I remain optimistic because of all the positive results other people have had.

I appreciate you letting me know what you have found has worked for you.

Thanks!

i take only 25 mg in the morning so if it works as a diuretic i won't have to pee at night. it worked for me within a week, clearing all my pimples and no more oiliness. this is because my acne and hirsutism are caused by high androgen levels. i think if it is prescribed for non-high androgen acne it will not have the same effect.

Thanks for replying falafel! Is spiro working for you on 25mg?

I am currently taking 50mg (25mg in the am & pm). I have noticed an increase in going to the bathroom but no other side effects. I am still wondering if anyone takes the full dose at night and how they find this. I find trying to take spiro at exactly the same time every day a challenge.

Interestingly that you noted about the high androgen levels as my hormones were tested and I was in the 'normal' range. My derm still prescribed it although she couldn't give a good explanation as to why it would work. She just said that it was just "one of those things". That was frustrating that she couldn't take the time to inform me even though I understand about androgens having an effect on sebum et etc. I have been on spiro for 14 days and have noticed less bumps and my skin is less oily.

Thanks for replying falafel! Is spiro working for you on 25mg?

I am currently taking 50mg (25mg in the am & pm). I have noticed an increase in going to the bathroom but no other side effects. I am still wondering if anyone takes the full dose at night and how they find this. I find trying to take spiro at exactly the same time every day a challenge.

Interestingly that you noted about the high androgen levels as my hormones were tested and I was in the 'normal' range. My derm still prescribed it although she couldn't give a good explanation as to why it would work. She just said that it was just "one of those things". That was frustrating that she couldn't take the time to inform me even though I understand about androgens having an effect on sebum et etc. I have been on spiro for 14 days and have noticed less bumps and my skin is less oily.

Hi Kosmic,

I started with 25mg taken once in the evenings and it didn't cause any problems in terms of bathroom trips in the middle of the night. However, after doing research and watching the effect on my skin, my Dr. and I chose to gradually increase to 50mg twice per day (morning, evening). My skin has responded very well to that and I still don't have to do bathroom trips in the middle of the night. Did the hormone test include cortisol? If that is elevated, it can cause increased sebum. Best of luck,

Spiro

Hey Spiro

Thanks for your input. Why did you decide to increase your dose to 100mg? What research did you find? I started on 50mg per day and have increased it to 75mg (25mg in am, 50mg in pm). I have only been on spiro for about 2 months so I am not sure if I should wait out the 5 month period on 75mg or just increase it to 100mg and see how I go. Over what timeframe did you increase your dosage? Overall my skin has improved although I still have little bumps underneath the skin. I would like to clear that up completely. Someone even commented that my skin was looking good (which never happpens!) so something is obviously working! :)

I am very bad at taking it at the same time every day as my routine changes and I feel that you should take it with food. Also, because I am splitting a 100mg tablet into quarters I obviously am not taking the exact amount every day due to inaccuracies. Are you taking it consistently at the same time?

Thanks!

I take 50mg at night. When I first started taking it, I got really tired and found that taking it at night helped. Now I hardly notice any side effects, except thrist. I cleared pretty much after 3 weeks with the exception of clogged pores and blackheads, which I still have 3.5 months later.

Hey Spiro

Thanks for your input. Why did you decide to increase your dose to 100mg? What research did you find? I started on 50mg per day and have increased it to 75mg (25mg in am, 50mg in pm). I have only been on spiro for about 2 months so I am not sure if I should wait out the 5 month period on 75mg or just increase it to 100mg and see how I go. Over what timeframe did you increase your dosage? Overall my skin has improved although I still have little bumps underneath the skin. I would like to clear that up completely. Someone even commented that my skin was looking good (which never happpens!) so something is obviously working! :)

I am very bad at taking it at the same time every day as my routine changes and I feel that you should take it with food. Also, because I am splitting a 100mg tablet into quarters I obviously am not taking the exact amount every day due to inaccuracies. Are you taking it consistently at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi Kosmic,

I increased my dosage to 100mg/day after googling general dosages successfully used by doctors in treating acne. It was the median amount they used. I also looked at a several sites with discussions by patients describing the dosages their doctor put them on. These are some of the websites:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=r...art=10&sa=N

http://www.everythingacne.com/spironolactone.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/treating-ac...-aldactone.html

http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/antiandrogens.html

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/453366?rss

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pi...190962207014521

http://www.docderm.com/patient_information/hormonal_acne.htm

http://howtoall.com/Healthfiles/howtotreat...ronolactone.htm

I waited about two-three weeks between dosage increases. It is very important to take the medication at a consistent time in order for it to work at its most effective level. Think about it: spironolactone works by blocking androgen receptors in your body and it has a very short half-life in the body. It's better to build up those levels consistently in your body over the six months or so it takes to truly moderate your hormonal balance. Otherwise, you risk sending mixed signals to your body while it's busy trying to balance and make it all around a more lengthy, difficult process. That explanation is not scientific, it's based on the experiences of other spironolactone users as well as myself. For a much better explanation, ask you pharmacist :) Again the same logic goes for regularly precise dosage amounts: don't make it any harder on your body than you have to. There are pill cutters that you can pick up from the store for more accuracy or you could consider requesting your doctor prescribe 25mg pills so that you take one in the morning at a specific time and two in the evening at a specific time.

As far as increasing your dose from 75mg to 100mg per day, discuss it with your doctor. It sounds like you are actually experiencing good success at 75mg- congratulations! Whether or not you increase the dosage, it will likely take between 3-6 months before you see the results you want, it just takes time. If you are already doing so well at two months, perhaps considering staying with the current dosage and see if that works. Again, taking only as much medication as your body actually needs seems like a prudent idea. If you and your doctor decide that the right dosage for your situation is 75mg, that's great. If you both decide 100mg is better that is also great. It's a very individual thing...

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress, :)

Spiro