Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PicklePimples

My Regime for no More ACNE... Finally it has worked!

Hello everyone. I have finally found the best natural possible treatment you can have to help your acne.

The fact is... Diet DOES affect your acne. This is very much so true.

The reason why you hear so many Doctors state that diet has no affect on acne is because the dermatology papers and research were done back in the 1960's and 1970's, and they thought diet has no correlation to food.

If you ask your doctor or dermatologist what causes acne, they will likely give a vague response such as ' a number of factors such as peronal hygiene, air you breath, stress levels, hormone levels, genetics...'

The study done in the 1970's by Dr.s Harper and Thiboutot. They found that despite years of research, the conclusion came out that the basic causes acne remain to be unknown.

If you want my opinion of what causes acne... it is this.

When a hair follicle or pore get's blocked, sebum which normally drains to the surface gets blocked, and bacteria grow inside the plugged pore. Eventually there is an immune response in which the immune system attacks the bacterial infection causing that red inflammation. The white is actually the puss... the white blood cells doing their thing killing the bacteria.

In the case of a black head... this is not necessarily a blockage where bacteria gets trapped, but instead a pore plugged with sebum right to the skin. The oil turns black when in contact with the air which is why when you pop a black head, it comes out white while the inside part is still white. If you leave this popped blackhead out, it will eventually turn black.

Now... So there are a variety of factors that cause a pore to plug.

1. Maybe you have sebaceous glands that are easily stimulated by hormones.

2. They may produce excessive amounts of sebum produced.

3. The composition of the sebum may be very favorable to bacterial growth.

4. You may have ingrown hair follicles, or the hair is also partially responsible for the blockage.

5. But the big thing that blocks the pore... are toxins that the body is trying to excrete that are in excess

and cannot be excreted by urination or deification alone.

So you have toxins in the body... and unbalanced hormones. These are the two things you have to control.

Of course the bacteria is also an issue, so you can work on killing the bacteria too. But ultimately to cure your acne... you have to have unfavorable conditions for bacteria to thrive in plugged pores because the bacteria are ubiquitous and will always be around.

Your Doctor may actually be giving you misinformation in that diet has no correlation to acne.

A study done in 2002 by Dr.Loren Cordain and Dr. Staffan Lindeberg studied 1200 Kitavan people living in a remote island off the coast of Papua New Guinea...> NOT A SINGLE CASE OF ACNE!... including 300 teenagers and young adults.

In westernized US, UK, or Australia... it would be impossible to find a group of 300 teenagers and young adults who are all completely acne free.

In another study by Dr. Kim Hill and Dr. Magdalena Hurtado, 115 Ache gatherers living in a remote jungle in Paraguay were observed. Again, not a single case of acne!

In both cases the diet consisted of fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meat, and fish.

There were absolutely no processed foods, soft drinks, or dairy products in their diet.

In another study done in 2005 by the department of nutrition at harvard school of public health... The researchers found a direct positive association between acne and milk intake.

The researchers concluded that the association of acne with milk intake may be because of the prsence of hormones and bioactive molecules in milk.

There ARE foods that will cause you to breakout.

1. first and foremost is milk... you will have to cut out milk from you diet if you suffer from acne.

2. Refined sugars, refined grains, and of course dairy as well... will increase the insulin level in the blood which in turn cause the hormone imbalance and increase the sebum production, hence it will cause an outbreak.

3. Vegetable oils which contain way too much omega 6 fat and too little omega 3 fat can also affect your acne. Omega 6 fats are necessary by the body for the inflammation response, however with too much you have too much inflammation. You need to balance this with omega 3 fatty acids which will help reduce inflammation.

4. Cereal grains and legumes, beans and peanuts have Lectin in them... Peanuts also have other things.. hence the high frequence of allergies to peanuts.

5. Processed foods, soft drinks, soda, candies, cereal grains, donuts, cakes, cookies... again foods you need to cut out.

6. Coffee... yes coffee can aggrevate your acne because of the release of cortisol. High volumes of this hormone may affect your immune system and decrease your body's power to resist infections. Cortisol may also have an affect of stimulation the sebaceous glands yet again... which is why stress is so frequently correlated with acne.

The presence of caffeine in the system also leads to release of more glucose in the blood stream... hence again the need for the pancreas to release more insulin ( for the body to utilize the glucose) and in addition the high insulin level will also stimulate the sebaceous glands for sebum production. Coffee, soft drinks, and energy drinks need to be taken out of your diet if you truly want to be acne free.

7. Alcohol... As an alcoholic I'm happy to find out I have a reason that can truly motivate me to never drink again. Not only does it damage the liver.... A damaged liver will adversely affect your acne because it hinders the livers ability to detoxify. This is essential for healthy skin, because when you have an excess of toxins in the body, the toxins need a place to go... and so they go through the urine... but also end up going out the pores... and may end up plugging them in the process of toxin release. In addition to the damage it does to the liver, alcohol will also result in imbalanced hormones and possibly an increase in sebum production.

8. Soy based products should also be eliminated and are not a good alternative to milk. There are also many hormones in soy milk as well.

So now for foods that you CAN eat.

Fresh fruits.

Green vegetables

Lean meat..(no fast food meat that is very fatty or processed meats)

Fish.

If you stick to the diet, you may feel you are missing out on your coke, ice-cream, donuts, cake and all those other foods loaded with refined sugars, but you don't necessarily need to give them up forever.

Avoid these foods until you have no more breakouts... or better yet, completely clear skinned.

After that you can do one of two things.

Introduce 1 food into your diet at a time daily to see how it affects your skin. Chances are if it's one of the foods that I mentioned above you will notice yourself breaking out again. Then you will know for sure that diet DOES affect your acne. Chances are if you fall back into your old habits your acne will also be just around the corner. SUGARY FOODS ARE BAD FOR THE SKIN! Any food that causes an abrupt release of hormones, or causes an imbalance will cause you to break out.

Another thing to do to help your body is to detoxify the body.

Every morning when you first wake up, make it into your daily routine is to take a lemon and squeeze the juice out, mix this with water and drink it! If you do this first thing in the morning it will help detoxify the body very very well. Detoxifying the body like this may actually induce a breakout because of the toxin release through the skin my plug some of your pores... but also a sign that your body is cleansing itself.

In addition to that... You can take some of the lemon juice you have just squeezed... and apply it to your skin. It may burn a bit because of it's acidity but it will also help your acne. The acid will kill the acne causing bacteria on your skin, and also help old dead skin come off as well.

There is a study done by the Japanese that demonstrated that those who did the early morning cleanse with the lemon water drink, and then applied the extra lemon juice to their acne, had been enough to treat there acne.

Another thing you can do is exercise... Not only does exercise improve circulation, but it also allows for faster delivery of nutrients to skin cells and other cells in the body, as well as faster elimination of toxins from the body. Not only that, but it will also reduce your stress levels, hence reduce the amount of cortisol released from your kidneys.

Avoid touching your face!!! You can have millions of bacteria happily residing on your hands, and you just gave them a new place to stay if you touch your face, shoulders.. or wherever... Or what you can do is wash your hands before you touch your face.

Wash your towel, pillowcase, bed sheets, and blankets regularly. You don't want colonies of bacteria growing on them.

Your hair... perhaps one of the best places for bacteria to reside is your hair. In fact, I think this is where most of the bacteria will come from initially that cause your bacteria. Wash your hair!

Also a key point... wash your hair FIRST! Yes wash your hair first, condition etc first. The bacteria and oil in the shampoo will be coming down your body when you rinse and so if you wash your hair last... and then rinse, you can be washing all that bacteria in your hair all over the rest of your body.

Supplements...

The key supplements are vitamin A which plays an important role in maintenance and repair of skin tissues. It is found in yellow, orange, green fruits. Carrots are an excellent source... you should eat 1 or 2 carrots everyday. Or supplement with vitamin A. Vitamin E is also important for the elasticity and health of the skin and helps the skin repair itself faster. Zinc is essential for the absorption of vitamin A and give an immune system boost. It also has an effect of regulating the activity of the sebaceous glands.

Drink lots of water!!!

Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to help eliminate toxins and improve nutrient absorption in your cells. Drink some water before you sleep because the body can become dehydrated as you sleep.

Include Green tea in your diet.

Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and can reduce inflammation and decrease some hormone activity causing acne. Get your caffeine from Green Tea rather than Coffee!!! Also there is far less caffeine in green tea than coffee anyways so it won't cause the harmful effects of excessive caffeine ingestion

Include Garlic in your diet.

Garlic is great and will help make your skin look young. It will also prevent inflammation, when digested the garlic can kill bad bacteria in the colon.

Sleep.

Get 8 hours of sleep every night... and be consistent with your bed time, and your wake time. Your body can then adjust to the most appropriate time of day ( your sleep time) to eliminate toxins.

Antibiotics...

You do not need to take antibiotics to treat your acne. You will actually make your immune system "Lazy"

in dealing with acne causing bacteria if you do this.

Popping your pimples:

Do not pop your pimples... for the following reasons..

1. You just spread the bacteria to the surrounding area of skin.

2. You just killed your own white blood cells... yes that whiteness in the pimple, are your own healthy functioning immune cells doing their job and eating the bacteria. The inflammation or redness is a signal "IMMUNE SYSTEM ATTACK HERE"... you just killed your own healthy immune cells.

3. The pimple will take much much longer to heal, and in some cases may actually scar depending on the size of the pimple.

UV Light and acne.

UV light WILL kill your acne, however I will not do this because it also damages your skin, breaks down collagen, damages DNA essentially it ages your skin.

It is the blue light or violet light present in UV light that kills the acne causing bacteria.

Hair removal.

This is what I am looking into next... I also believe that home laser hair removal kits will help you with your acne if your acne is causes by ingrown hairs. I'm going to be purchasing one within a month which is a bit steep in price at 500 dollars, but I think it's well worth it. I have ingrown hairs on my neck, and sometimes I also get acne on my neck.

For men and shaving... avoid a close shave and shave in the direction of the hair follicles growth rather than against it.

I have been looking extensively for answers on how to help myself treat my acne lately... I'm 25 and I have had back acne since I was 14 years old and it has absolutely devastated and crushed my self esteem. It's not the worst case of back acne. I have done many things from proactiv... to differin cream.

I have been always busy doing other things to not fully devote myself, but now I really want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not have to feel embarrassed about my acne, also I want to be able to date a woman not having to worry about taking my shirt off. So I decided this is it, I'm going to do what I can do.

And finally!!! I Have the results I want!!! I'm proud of myself, I finally beat my acne without accutane, antibiotics. For the longest time I thought it would just go away when I get older, but that didn't happen.

Now I'm finally acne free.

In summary what I have been doing:

1. No more coffee in my diet.

2. No more dairy in my diet.

3. No more diet softdrinks in my diet.

4. No more refined flour in my diet, and I am greatly reducing the amount of bread products I am eating.

5. I bought a juicer, and have my lemon juice every single morning first thing.

6. I have been washing my back with lemon juice... Not only is this killing the bacteria, it also sped up the time

of that "after redness' and discoloration of the skin where a pimple once was.

7. I have been exercising daily. I have been doing both cardio, and yoga.

8. I use a towel 3 times only, after the 3rd use, It's time for a new towel.

9. Also when I towel my body, i 'pat' my skin dry rather than rub it dry. This will help retain moisture in the skin. And also not spread dead skin cells across you which my plug a pore.

10. I clean my bed sheets, blankets, and pillow case once a week. In addition to that, I only wear clean clothes when it's bedtime, and I shower before bed, so I am clean before I go into my bed.

11. I have been drinking my 8 glasses of water a day.

12. I wear 3 shirts a day... 1 after my shower and before my bed, 1 after i get out of bed and go off for my day, and 1 after i workout. (I know showering would help after my workout but then i just want to have 1 shower a day, not 2).

13.Hair... I wash my hair daily, and I wash it first when I shower. The bacteria will rinse off on my body, and the bacteria will wash all over my body out of my hair. If you want try something like head and shoulders shampoo, which is a bit harsher shampoo but will kill more bacteria rather than just 'wash it out'. But it's also a harsher shampoo. Or use an anti-bacterial shampoo.

14. Daily supplements... Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Garlic Oil, Zinc, Omega 3, Cal/Mag/Zinc, probiotic supplement.

15. 2 cups of green tea daily, in the morning a caffeinated cup, in the evening a decaffeinated cup.

16. Getting that 8 hours of sleep, and those 8 glasses of water.

17. Also I haven't been drinking any alcohol at all.

18. I have also been avoiding legumes, peanuts, etc.

19. One surprise is that I still include my one piece of dark chocolate (85%) cocoa

20. No soy products.

21. I have been eating more fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.

I hope this helps someone!!! I finally did it... and I have never felt better in my life. Before I came up with this theory that acne is a 'vitamin D deficiency'... my acne got better not because I was supplementing vitamin D, but because I had quit drinking coffee during the same time. I continued my vitamin D therapy but reintroduced coffee back into my diet which included lots of caffeine and lots of cream(i always got cream in my coffee) my acne came back again.

So I decided that I would seek out as much acne information I can and treat my own acne the way I want to treat it (with no prescription drugs, antibiotics, or harsh acne creams).

I succeeded!!! I think you can to if you follow this very closely. It's going to take self discipline though to follow all these rules.

Hey man, congratulations on overcoming your predicament.

Pretty good summary of all things acne and health as well. I'm not going to lie, you really didn't say much that hasn't already been repeated a hundred times on these boards. But always good to hear another success story! My path to clear skin was more or less the same. No dairy (yes butter though), no wheat, barley, etc (gluten), no flours/flour products. I still eat some cooked whole grains (brown rice, millet, buckwheat). I have a morning cup of coffee or two. I have been experimenting re-introducing legumes. I feel that is one of the tougher areas to deal with.

Oh and yes, exercise and quality sleep are crucial.

Edited by Drizzler

Drizzler, why do you eat butter but not other dairy?

And to OP, your diet is very similar to a low glycemic load diet. You may want to check into that as it can show you some foods you may be able to introduce into your diet without causing breakout.

Butter is the only dairy I have as well. It's high in healthy saturated fats, iodine, selenium and other trace minerals and lower in lactose and sugars than other dairy products...

If diet causes acne than why do some people with the shittiest diets have the clearest of skins?? When someone can anwser me this question with facts i will be a believer that its diet that causes it.... I believe that if you have acne eating a healthier diet can improve you but as far as acne being the complete cause i just do not believe this

Some people are predisposed to it. If you are predisposed to acne and eat badly you will probably get acne. If you are not predisposed to it and eat badly your body will handle it differently possibly with internal problems.

Good points. I wonder though if raw milk or raw milk kefir would be bad for you.

not every person is the same acnefree.

I think this is true for almost everyone. Althought i think there are still other factors. Some may have more active sebious glands. Not as good imume system (born with it), teen hormonal things, and many others.

I think teen hormonal can be a big cause. But with some more than with others. Some might only have acne when theyre in there teens. Some may have a comination of this and bad diet (most people have this i guess).

I believe there is a genetic predisposition to acne as well... Or some environmental factors working together with genetics.

But the thing is if you are predisposed to acne, there are things you can do to treat it... and part of that are these healthy habits I mentioned.

Congrats on curing your acne, so all I have to do is basically starve myself for a few months and I'll have clear skin..... It's nice that you can clear your skin with diet, but I just think it's screwed up how anyone else can eat whatever crap they want and have perfect skin. Now how is that explained if diet has such a big affect on acne? Why doesn't over half the U.S population have acne then with their shitty diets?

cohen I believe the answer to question is this-

Us acne prone people are just releasing toxins and telling us something is wrong inside our bodies in a different manner than other acne free people. That "signaling" combined with genetic things such as oily skin make us acne prone people.

Just look at it as a blessing in disguise that is just making us healthier humans. Because if you are acne prone and then have clear skin you can be sure that you now are a "healthy" human.

Now that you mention that it does make sense, our bodies just have a different way of handling it. To be honest though I can't look as it as a blessing, I'd rather have clear skin and be unhealthy than have a way of knowing I'm healthy for sure. Life's too short to worry about what your eating your whole life.

people prone to acne have the certain genes but the genes can be expressed by environmental factors. i believe that if you do certain things or are exposed to certain things then those genes will be affected and more or less express the code of it, which in this case is acne. i feel like most people in western civilization are more prone to acne because of industrialization. i say this because since then everything seemed to get bigger in a sense and made faster. if you really looked into how everything is made you will see that its done a lot faster than before. the human diet has changed dramatically over the last 150 years. for instance, did you know that normal chicken usually takes 3 months or 90 days to be full grown but in chicken mills, it only takes 30 days. thats a third! its because of all the shit thats pumped into them. and cows now eat corn or grains instead of grass and are pumped with a lot of hormones. i feel like if you change one part of nature, you disrupt another part and so on. just saying were all connected somehow and everyones actions have a consequence and us humans have the most control over this situation.

sorry for that post. kind of went off topic

Congrats on curing your acne, so all I have to do is basically starve myself for a few months and I'll have clear skin..... It's nice that you can clear your skin with diet, but I just think it's screwed up how anyone else can eat whatever crap they want and have perfect skin. Now how is that explained if diet has such a big affect on acne? Why doesn't over half the U.S population have acne then with their shitty diets?

some are more sensitive to the foods (in case of creating acne). So some react more severe to it than others. For some a little bit sugar may cause severe acne. For others 5big macs and 5L coke only creates light acne. More people have (adult) acne nowadays. And its more severe. This is because the diet got worse. And the people who werent sensitive enough for the old diet. Are now with the new diet and notice light acne. Light became moderate etc...

Not everybody is the same. I mean some create fat faster some create muscles faster. Some learn more. I mean what you say is the same as saying: "But i think it's screwed up how anyone else doesnt learn at all and have perfect grades and others cant even get a D. Now how is that explained "

some are more sensitive to the foods (in case of creating acne). So some react more severe to it than others. For some a little bit sugar may cause severe acne. For others 5big macs and 5L coke only creates light acne. More people have (adult) acne nowadays. And its more severe. This is because the diet got worse. And the people who werent sensitive enough for the old diet. Are now with the new diet and notice light acne. Light became moderate etc...

Not everybody is the same. I mean some create fat faster some create muscles faster. Some learn more. I mean what you say is the same as saying: "But i think it's screwed up how anyone else doesnt learn at all and have perfect grades and others cant even get a D. Now how is that explained "

I agree that everyone has different levels of sensitivity to certain foods, we've pretty much concluded that's why some people get acne and others don't. It also makes sense what you said regarding how much we've changed our diets over the last 150 years, with animals being fed all all those growth hormones and just the way food is processed. Everything is unnatural now and it seems the more we stray away from natural earthly food, the more health problems people are getting.

Now this I don't agree with, you can hardly compare the two examples. When it comes to learning you have absolute control over what you choose to learn and what you don't. Yes some people learn faster than others and naturally retain information, while others have to put in a little effort. With diet though it's not exactly easy to eat healthy, it's gotten to the point to where you have to go out of your way just to find healthy food that is good for you. With all the fast food around that's basically what your limited to unless you cook at home. With work and being constantly busy some people don't have the luxury of cooking healthy meals at home. Also to eat healthy now, it's way overpriced. For someone on a budget there's no way you can afford organic natural food. That's why diet is almost uncontrollable now, you pretty much have to eat what's around you, while learning you have complete control over which is why I think the two are not comparable.

If you've managed your acne for several months this way, please add your story to this thread:

Success Compilation Thread, Links to threads of people who have become clear

The key supplements are vitamin A which plays an important role in maintenance and repair of skin tissues. It is found in yellow, orange, green fruits. Carrots are an excellent source... you should eat 1 or 2 carrots everyday.

Diet no doubt HELPS acne, but it does not cure it. And it isn't sustainable to maintain such a strict regime for all of us.

This is pretty much what I do too, and it also has been working for me. It's about being very healthy, and I do think there's a lot to be said for a primal diet and lifestyle. Even just making small changes to mimic it (less grains and dairy) can really help. Humans evolved for thousands of years and it's only been the last, what, 50 or so that processed crap has been such a staple for people.

I don't know why I didn't post this before, but it's not really about sebum as the OP stated. Although sebum can exacerbate the problem, many people have acne while having dry skin and many people have oily skin and no acne.

It's about hyperproliferation/hyperkeratinization of skin cells that don't shed freely, stick together and clog pores. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2580171

But it might also be about sebum quality. Nutrients and other factors affect the formation of sebum that flows properly and protects skin rather than being sticky causing exfoliated cells to stick. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2637530

The diet and lifestyle advice is mostly right though. But there are many lifestyle and meal habits as well as food intolerances that vary from person to person that affect how strict your diet needs to be.