Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started gradually subtracting foods that contained gluten from my diet in early February, and by the beginning of March gluten was completely eliminated from my diet. Unfortuantely, I have yet to notice any positive changes since I went off gluten. In the last month and a half I have not consumed any gluten at all, but lately I have considered eating whole wheat bread and similar foods again. Should I wait longer before giving up, or am I at the point where I can declare this diet uneffective?

I would say the latter. From what I know, only a small percentage of people are gluten sensitive. If you are indeed one of these people, I guess it could make your acne worse. If you are not, I don't think gluten affects your skin. Just my opinion though. I still eat gluten and it does not make my skin worse or better.

Yeah, may as well start adding wheat items back into the mix and see what happens. I went gluten free for 2 months last summer and it did nothing =(

Edited by shipinabottle

Some people respond to gluten free diets because it usually means they are eating less carbs and/or sugar.

It may be time to give up on the gluten free diet. Other things you should try cutting out are:

dairy

anything with a lot of fat

peanuts/peanut butter

tofu/soy products

I don't know how severe your acne is, but take a look at your diet. Is there something that you eat almost everyday? There really is a huge list of acne triggers, and everyone is different

Gluten free didn't help me. My suggestions are no meat or dairy. Follow a low glyecmic load diet. Eat high fat/protein. Low glycemic load is the most important thing in my opinion. If I eat bread it is whole grain and with olive oil or something.

I don't think gluten is good for any of us and we are all gluten sensitive to various degrees. That doesn't mean it will noticeably impacting your acne. It doesn't mine. Still, I limit it, especially in the form of crappy instant yeast rapid rise breads and such. Buy sprouted grain, sourdough or any bread you know allowed to ferment for at least overnight.