Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where to begin... I was a sort of infrequent poster on these boards, first joined in 2008 and then had a large absence - up till now of course. Why then have I returned like the org's very own prodigal son I hear you ask? Well seeing as I'm I'm older and wiser I've come to impart some advice to you young un's ( I realise saying that I'm probably still younger than a lot of you lol :P )

But yeah, I guess I stopped my limited contribution here because I wanted to focus on my exams that I had coming up - and after that some strange crap started to happen, the stuff that I was doing was finally paying dividends and I finally became clear - well 90% anyway give or take but that's enough for me, I ain't too greedy you see ;) (

But you know what. Although my skin was pretty much the best it had been in living memory, I was not a happy bunny. Strange isn't it, the thing that I'm sure that most of us here (which included myself) would give an arm and a leg for and yet it did diddly squat for me. It was a superficial improvement to what had become a much deeper problem. For you see, I lamented when I had terrible skin; ok, ok I did more than that - I ranted, I raved and generally stressed myself out big time. I even pretty much locked myself away - away from a world which I perceived to be threatening and said to myself I will not leave until I have good skin dammit!

And this was my downfall. I had in the time of self imposed misery and negativity largely due to my skin developed anxiety. Anxiety to be more specific of being the centre of attention, being in certain situations and even when talking to people I was unfamilar with. In short it was an anxiety of perceived negativity. (Social Anxiety or SA if you want to get techy, google and youtube this if you want to have a far more eloquent explaination of it)

And this is why I'm here guys, I'm here to warn you of the road that some of you tread. I know it can be difficult sometimes when you have bad skin, the comments, the looks the lack of understanding. But don't give in! Because if you do you may find yourself in a similar situation.

And I also know this may sound a little far fetched to some, but to be honest I've always had an issue with confidence as far as I can remember, but I'm 100% sure that getting acne to the extent I did and allowing it to rule me was the straw that broke the camel's back and opened the floodgates. I let Acne have most of my teen years, now SA has a firm grip of my twenties and to put it lightly, it sucks. It's caused a whole host of new problems for me, including having to drop out of uni and perhaps even worse than that the ongoing issue of interacting with others.

If I can help just one of you guys out with this embarrasingly honest post, I think I'll be happy.

Good night people.

Edited by Bacon_n'_Paranoia412

No takers eh :think: It would seem my brutal honesty is a tad to much of me to take in the one sitting. Ah well, the message still stays the same though: Don't waste your time beating yourself up over acne (as hard as this can be) - you have one life to live and you should make the most of it!

Sigh.

I hate to see a post like this go unnoticed. We seem to have a lot in common. A similar thing happened to me, and I made a thread like this one a while back, warning others of the same thing. It also went pretty much unnoticed.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I have always had confidence issues. And acne was my "last straw" as well. But, I'd hate to see this happen to anybody else. It's really not a joke. To all the people locked up in your rooms and shit because of your face or anything else, stop. Get help. Don't surrender your youth and sanity. Especially to some stupid skin disease. Let this go on and your negative feelings WILL consume you. I've got pretty bad social anxiety now too as well as a host of other forms of fucked-upness that I won't get into.

I feel for you, Bacon. Good luck on your journey to recovery.

Good call, King Rat! I seem to remember you, Bacon, and this post is a good warning against letting the struggle with acne overwhelm us. And nah, not that it was ignored, just sometimes posts take a while to hit home is all! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

This is a good thread. I know this all to well and what you have said applies to me quite a lot.

I haven't dropped out of univeristy (yet :unsure:) and i still have acne, but about all the social anxiety and reluctance to interact with people, i'm all that.

Wow what an unexpected and large response, I wasn't expecting this when I logged in I've gotta say.

To King & Marall, I'm sorry you guys are in the same boat as me - SA seems to be another challenge that we must now face. But you know what, I'm really eager to sort this shit out. After coming out from the other side of all the crap that we've gone through, I can't see anything fazing us.

Strangely enough though, I had a feeling that some of you guys here on the Org may have SA or similar symptoms. I'm a bit of a regular on a related forum, and surprise surprise there's some acne sufferers (past and present) on there like you and me who would attest there skin problems being one of the main causes. It eats me up inside to think that there could be other people in the pipe-line here and now, struggling with acne and unknowingly following our lead. I guess that's the main reason why I'm back here. But not only that, also by bringing up this topic others who may be one foot into it can at least know what they have - it can be an even more dark and aliening world than it is already thinking you're the only one with this unusual condition.

How are you guys fairing on the skin front anyway? If you or anyone else round these parts wants to know how I got my results, just ask. I'll only be to eager to bore you with my diet and lifestyle recommendations ;)

Good call, King Rat! I seem to remember you, Bacon, and this post is a good warning against letting the struggle with acne overwhelm us. And nah, not that it was ignored, just sometimes posts take a while to hit home is all! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

I'm glad I managed to leave a suitable impression on ya Elsewhere. ;)

Do share your secrets Mr Bacon sir.

My acne is not as bad as it has been in the past, but i still get it fairly often. Red marks are my main downfall though, i got looaaaadds.

Wow what an unexpected and large response, I wasn't expecting this when I logged in I've gotta say.

To King & Marall, I'm sorry you guys are in the same boat as me - SA seems to be another challenge that we must now face. But you know what, I'm really eager to sort this shit out. After coming out from the other side of all the crap that we've gone through, I can't see anything fazing us.

Strangely enough though, I had a feeling that some of you guys here on the Org may have SA or similar symptoms. I'm a bit of a regular on a related forum, and surprise surprise there's some acne sufferers (past and present) on there like you and me who would attest there skin problems being one of the main causes. It eats me up inside to think that there could be other people in the pipe-line here and now, struggling with acne and unknowingly following our lead. I guess that's the main reason why I'm back here. But not only that, also by bringing up this topic others who may be one foot into it can at least know what they have - it can be an even more dark and aliening world than it is already thinking you're the only one with this unusual condition.

How are you guys fairing on the skin front anyway? If you or anyone else round these parts wants to know how I got my results, just ask. I'll only be to eager to bore you with my diet and lifestyle recommendations ;)

I would like to know more about your diet and lifestyle recommendations. I know I have intense SA and have not figured out how to get these thoughts about my skin out of my head or at least stop thinking about it to the point where I am on this site for hours.

Yes, I'd love to hear how you got rid of your acne.

I'm very unhappy with my skin at the moment. It's not as bad as it once was I guess, but I still break out fairly often and I have a ton of hyperpigmentation marks all over my face, back and shoulders that I'd like to start working on as soon as possible. Can't do that until I'm clear though. :(

Edited by King Rat

Since you've asked lol:

-A green smoothie a day (spinach, 2 bananas, flax seed and grapes(optional) )

-No Junk (sugar, fried and deep fried foods)

-No Dairy! (This comes up again and again when people start trying to cure acne with a dietary approach - and with good reason! )

-Eat as much whole food as possible (minimumly processed)

-Prepare your grain before eating (soak them in water for about 12 hours)

-Smoking is obvious no no. (2nd hand should also be avoided)

-exercise regularly (10-15 mins a day minimum (squats, press-ups and crunches are all really efficient, and can be done in a tight and even in door space)

-get sun exposure without sun cream when ever possible.

(be sensible about this though, no one likes a sunburn - but saying that 10-20 mins without any 'protection' (read blocker) will not make you spontaneously combust.

- Meditate (now I'm not suggesting we all start hugging trees here :razz: , but I found this personally speaking extremely effective. It helped me recognise the fact that I had (up until recently at least) picked up a bad habit of always been tense and agitated. Learning how to control my breathing amongst other things has allowed me to transpose stuff from this one area to more general day to day affairs. This has done wonders for my problems sleeping, and mild digestive complaints that I've had since as far as I can remember)

-SLEEP (so you feel refreshed in the morning at least)

For more information about this sort of approach check out professionals such as this one who advocate osteopathy:

http://www.drbenkim.com/articles-acne.html

Hope this helps!

Edited by Bacon_n'_Paranoia412

This post really hit home for me. I've been dealing with social anxiety for just about half of my life, although it was brought on by more than just bad skin, the acne certainly made it a lot harder to deal with. Its a slippery slope from just being self-conscious to full-fledged severe social anxiety, and I'm glad you decided to come back to raise awareness about it. It's easy enough to put your life on hold and just tell yourself you'll go out tomorrow, or you'll go out when your skin is clear, but when the world becomes an unfamiliar place and you can't even remember how to interact with people anymore, you realize that it's more than just your skin that's the problem. I've been clear for a few months now, and most of my skin discoloration has evened out as well, but I gotta say, it doesn't make it any easier to go outside without make-up, or to talk to people, or to make eye contact, or to even sit on a bus without holding my breath. Acne itself is not a crippling disease, but the effects that it has on our psyche is something else entirely.

Edited by whoalisa

"you realize that it's more than just your skin that's the problem."

I think that's the real kicker. Once 'free' or there abouts; we assume everything will be back to where it had been - little knowing that as we had sat idly by watching the world go past it had changed irrevocably.

Now I'm guessing this whole thread must sound really down-beat to any passers by, but don't let it be. To those who can't even relate or those that are only knee deep, you have an opportunity to nip this in the bud now. The long term effects of accepting the huge amount of negativity that you currently are exposing yourself too are not good ones.

And finally, just one more slightly intrusive question; to the guys and gals here with SA, are you doing anything pro-active about it?

A began formulating a lengthy response after reading your post, Bacon, until I read what everyone else wrote. It's all been said (and rather well). While prone to lapses in judgment, on the whole, I do consider myself a rational person. I've convinced myself that everything will return to normal once I'm clear, but at 27, I've already missed so much. Perhaps I'm just deluding myself—attempting to justify my self-imposed exile.

No doubt, the psychological damage we've all incurred will take years to undo, but I've got to believe—for my own sanity—that achieving clear skin will have some beneficial effect on my life. In fact, that's all I've wanted since I was 14. For me, clear skin and happiness are inextricably linked. Obviously, there are exceptions (which I've largely ignored, to be honest), but I haveto believe there's some truth to it, as most of my life has hinged upon this hope.

My opinion (self-serving though it may be) is that acne is, without a doubt, one of the biggest—if not the biggest—reason for our social anxiety. You can't blame acne for everything, but its deleterious effect—physically and mentally—is undeniable. Attempting to reconcile these anxiety issues while still suffering from acne is quixotic, especially when you're just a mirror's glance away from an instant reminder. For me, accepting acne has always been akin to surrender, and I can't abide giving up. Will the anxiety disappear once the acne does? No, but our skin definitely plays a role in all this.

Good topic, by the way. And I'm keen to try your regimen.

It's easy enough to put your life on hold and just tell yourself you'll go out tomorrow, or you'll go out when your skin is clear, but when the world becomes an unfamiliar place and you can't even remember how to interact with people anymore, you realize that it's more than just your skin that's the problem.

Yeah huh.

I started treatment for depression/anxiety years before acne came on the scene. My skin is not the root cause of all my problems...just something to blame it all on.

I'm just going to bump this for old time's sake ;) The original point I still think holds true even to this day.

omg thanks for the support, i appriciate it, im in my youth now and i just mainly have scars now, ugh, anyways thanks :)

oh and i went to therapy for acne problems, my parents forced me, youu can read all about my story in my blog, i have a long post about the therapy ughh

I'm just going to bump this for old time's sake ;) The original point I still think holds true even to this day.

omg thanks for the support, i appriciate it, im in my youth now and i just mainly have scars now, ugh, anyways thanks :)

oh and i went to therapy for acne problems, my parents forced me, youu can read all about my story in my blog, i have a long post about the therapy ughh

Glad to hear from ya :) I know therapy has a bit of a stigma attached to it (for obvious reasons), but in alot of cases it can be really useful. I'm about to start some CBT soon myself, and hopefully will be getting rid of the last of my anxiety issues.