Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScarsRevil

needling hypetrophic scars

So last Thursday I needled a hypetrophic scar on my chin that I've had essentially forever after reading some other posts in this forum where a member said it helped their hypetrophic scars. Anyways, what I used was 33 gauge lancets to thoroughly needle the scar tissue. It was oozy and scabby for about a week. It is still inflamed but I imagine in a week or 2 it will have healed much more. In a week I will post an update on the progress. Right now I think it may have reduced in size slightly but I will not know for sure until the healing has progressed. Compared to needling depressed scars on my face the downtime on needling the hypetrophic scar is much longer. Typically redness from needling depressed scars goes away after a few days, needling this hypetrophic scar has resulted in a much longer healing time and much redness. Even after almost 1 week since the needling I feel extremely self conscious going out because of the redness and noticeability. So if you intend on needling a hypetrophic scar be prepared to have something to either cover it up or don't plan on going anywhere for at least a week or 2.

Also, I've read that applying pressure to wounds during the healing phase promots the production of collagenese, an enzyme which breaks down collagen. Anyways, applying pressure to wounds when they heal ususally prevents the production of hypetrophic scarring to some extent. Maybe, after needling a hypetrophic scar, if pressure was applied consistently during the healing phase it would help to reduce the size of the excess tissue during the healing phase. I did not do this other than applying pressure immediately after the needling.

So the scabbing is essentially gone and there is still some minor inflammation noticeable around the scar. I didn't mention previously but a small area surrounding the scar was inflammed post needling even though it was skin that I didn't needle. I think it's basically the same size as it was before needling. There might be a slight reduction in size but I can't tell. It didn't get worse though other than it's currently slightly red and inflammed still which is fading quickly. I may try this again in the near future and I will take pictures of it before and after healing to see if there is a noticeable or slight difference. I will wait at least 2 weeks before I may attempt this again. I just need to find an opportunity to deal with the week 1/2 long downtime it has of being extremely noticeable. I may attempt salycylic acid peels on it in the near future but I'm not expecting much from it if I do.

You could try needling them, but if you are prone to hypetrophic scarring I wouldn't recommend it. The only 2 hypetrophic scars on my body are on my chin as a result of excessive picking during the healing phase. I believe this resulted in an overproduction of scar tissue. For an update on my scar, the swelling around the scar itself has almost completely disappeared. I have been applying 10% benzoyl peroxide to it for the past week every night now leaving it on overnight. I just applied some more and it has a flaky layer on top. Anyways, I can't really tell if an improvement occured. I don't believe it worsened though. If it has improved I would guess 10% inmprovement, i.e. not noticeable at all. I should have taken before pictures but didn't. I am going to use salicylic acid on the scar for a while in about a week to see if that improves it. If no improvements are seen from that treatment I will needle it 1 more time, but this time I will take before and after pictures.

if you want to try this again you could look into needling the scar then once the scab comes off apply a silicone sheet to it. wear it around the house and when you sleep. you might get a better result.

The only problem I have with silicone sheets is that I have read they can take up to 6 months of almost constant use to see good results. I want a quicker removal of the excess tissue, but I may try this if the acid I use doesn't burn away the excess tissue.