Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I had acne ever since I was 17 years of age. (now I am 21) I thought I would share my experiences with different products that I tried. (for the sake of saving your wallets and disappointment) Obviously, none of the ones that I am about to mention worked for me or for anybody that I personally know.

Proactive Solution:

No, this will not work for you. I don't care how many pictures they have posted on their website or how many people say that it works on their TV informercial, I feel that most of them are ficticious and are not exactly credible. EVERYONE that I know PERSONALLY that tried this product including myself developed a worsening case of acne with this product. This smells really good and feels really good, but will NOT work will really well.

Murad Acne Complex:

This one actually was a worse experience than the Proactive solution. I not only had worsening acne from where the Proactive solution left me at, but also it made my skin EXTREMELY oily. (I am not sure why) It took my acne to a point where I was embarrassed to go outside, because my face was SOO messed up. (and at the time I was in college.) This was about $20 more expensive than Proactive and it was definitely $20 worse than Proactive.

Lessons:

Do NOT trust the informercial when it comes down to your skin care. Trust me... Even if they honor the "money back guarantee", having money in their account will help greatly when it comes down to the size of the business they do. They will say or do anything to get people to buy their products at least once. Think about it, suppose you get one million dollars from someone, and you have to return it in a month. You keep that thing in there for a month, and the interest rate of the savings account was say 1.1%/month. You have just made $11,000. That's how that kind of business works. No body's dumb enough to lose money on a deal. They don't mind disappointing people or ripping off their hearts as long as they make some money on any given "transactions". So be very careful next time you buy something.

A Word of Advise:

Do a research on the stuff that you would like to purchase. Read ALL unbiased forums, (the posters of the forum are not affiliated with the product) do a thorough research on the active ingredients of the product, (including all possible side effects) try to find the person that is similar to yours. (does he/she have oily skin? sensitive? Is this person pregnant? Is he a heavy drinker? etc.)

My acne's been at its best now that I don't try ANY products. I just wash my face with a normal soap, and put some lotion. (Been doing this for 3 months) However, by "at best," I meant not as bad as when I was trying those ridiculous products. (Btw, I did consider Stanford University as my potential Grad school, but now that I figured that Proactive and Murad were both created by Stanford graduates, I will apply somewhere else. <_< HEHE.)

I am currently trying out this product called Zenmed Derma Cleanse System. Although I read some horrifying reviews about this product, what really caught my eyes were the active ingredients. I could not find anything as comprehensive as this product when it comes down to the herbal treatment of acne. (Unless, someone else likes to enlighten me.) It was quite pricy, but hey, if it works I wouldn't mind that. I am only on my 4th day, and so far not so bad. Supposely 75% of the people that use this product break out more for the first 4 weeks, but I don't see anymore coming out. (at least just yet) I will keep you guys updated on this product. Btw, I am not one of those ridiculously mendacious "affiliates" of any products. If you ever see a link with the tail of the URL looking like "ID=1434", don't ever trust what he/she might be saying. They are making money off of you.

Btw, I did already try most of the things available at "Walmart" such as Clearasil, Neutrogena, Oxy, and etc. Proactive was my next step I took.

Also, I refuse to resort to this crazy "diet" where I can't eat ANY sweets and I have to do "Cleansing" (Liver, Bowel, Kidney) Btw, that's what they recommend on "Your Last Acne Solution". As matter of fact, any books that claim that they have the cure for acne has this in there. Liver Flushing, Parasite cleansing, something else cleansing with strict diet, uhh, gah... I am so in love with Chocolate cheesecakes (and I have been for past 12 years) that I can't resort to that, at least just not yet.

Anyway, I just thought I would share because I know what it means/feels to be disappointed after paying so much money.

Thanks for reading.

Best Wishes,

WTF? Liver, bowel and kidney cleansing, whatever next. Im not in for fucking up my internal organs im afraid, and as for the diet think, i like sugar too much and sweets occasionally. I can`t put myself on a strict diet. I have no weight

problem anyway.

I am your age and am also wary of the various acne products out there. Painted testimonials and airbrushed before and after pictures on the majority of websites that premote them. We didn`t all come from cave island, lol.

I don't think ur being fair, what gives u the right to say that something that doesn't work for u won't work for everyone :snooty: I've been using proactiv all along and I've gotten clearest when on it. if you're gonna give advice don't BASH things and tell everyone what not to do, everyone has their own cure, they just got to find it.

I dunno who u are reffering to, but im not telling anyone what to do mate, im voicing my opinion. And that opinion is u need to be wary of these products and the sites that promote them, because some of the sites i've seen are just stupid and only a retard would get sucked in to it. Im not bashing the products as such, i havn`t tried some of them. They will work for some people and they won`t for others, just be careful what you throw your money away on!

actually I agree with everything u said, the only thing i think differently is that instead of airbrushing they give them a half hour with a makeup artist, that way they can say the photos were not retouched

has anyone here tried botchla's regimen..that seems to be working for me really well...just thought i'd mention it!

hukis83, I'm sure you mean well but what works for one person may not work for another. We're all different and so it's unfortunately trial and error when it comes to fighting acne. You say that you've never met anyone who tried Proactiv and had it work for them - well for me personally they're the best acne products I have tried. I'm using them right now and my skin has not looked this good in a very long time. No one is paying me a cent to say that. I have also found liver flushing immensely helpful for my acne.

There are many people here who would tell you how well Dan's or Botchla's regimen has worked for them or how well accutane worked for them - we all just find something that works and try to help eachother learn what might be a good thing to try.

You're welcome to offer your opinion and offer advice but being wary of companies trying to take acne sufferers for a ride is one thing but saying their products or an idea does not work is closed minded in my opinion.

Two other Stanford alumni:

Sandra Day O'Connor (completely incomprehensible Supreme Court justice)

Gray Davis (probably the worst governor in California's history)

Hi,

For those of you that think that I am being "narrow-minded" or "unfair," you do have a point, but let me tell you something.

What do you think I naturally did when I first discovered that my acne was getting worse due to the usage of those products? Of course I contacted them. Do you want to know what these people told me? They both told me that it is normal for my face to get worse. Proactive claimed that their product has a success rate of 85% and oh gee, get this, Murad Acne Complex told me that they have a success rate of 97+%. Do you know how I felt when I read those e-mails?

They are telling me that about 11 people that I know personally who tried above mentioned product fall into the "unhappy/unlucky" 15% or 3%? Maybe it may have been a hard-ass luck, but seriously, I have an extremely hard time swallowing that.

For Proactive, I was consistent, and it got consistently worse. It smelled good, and my skin felt softer in the morning, but I still had more break-outs. I asked around for 3 people that got it with me on the same day, and they all said the same thing. We even joked about using it as an air refresher because it had a very good scent. Unfortunately, it did not work for all 4 of us.

You know, after being so disappointed by Proactive, I felt like there was no other way. So when I saw the Murad informercial I stuck with Murad almost religiously, since they did say "it takes about 3-4 weeks to start seeing any result." and said that I was going through an "exfoliating period." Uhh, excuse me? How much crap do I have to have underneath my facial skin (not my organ or my system) to take 4 weeks to get rid of? I never had acne on my neck, but with Murad yes congratulations to me, I got them there also. Because I stuck with it till the last minute, I was not able to retrieve my "money back guarantee." I do admit that it was somewhat of my fault for not sending it, but no body can understand how hopeless I felt then.

I seriously believe that their success rates and the failure rates were reversed. 15% sucess rate and 3% success rate. Why don't I hear people praise those products more often? Wouldn't you go and tell other people about the product passionately, if it helped your 5+ years of acne to go away? Why is it that it takes an informercial to get people to purchase their products if it were so great? Wouldn't you think they would release it to a general market? (Wal-mart etc.) The reason they don't do that is because it doesn't work as well as they like to say it does. No vendors will take such risk. 85% and 97+% you got to admit, that is outrageous. :liar:

As most of you know, life is a jungle. Do you truely believe that these people's best interest is your acne free face? Trust me, their best interest is money. I know I am being quite sketical, but somehow I feel like those people that show up on the "testimonials" get a "special dermatologist care" or take Accutane and show up so that they can say it worked for them, and they can make more pieces of green paper. Not everyone is like that, but there are people that are controlled by money.

I almost think someone should sue them for a false advertisement. They should give the correct success rate whether it is 40% or 10%. Btw, their success rate was medically/scientifically proved. I am somewhat of a science major student myself (Engineering), and I know what needs to be done to make up stuff like that. I won't go into details. They are lying, but "technically" they are not.

All of you who made comments, you are absolutely right. What has not worked for 12 of us, may work for someone else. Saying stuff like be wary of these two specific companies is somewhat of a narrow-minded approach. However, if I have to deal with liars, I will be willingly be unfair and narrow-minded to prevent other people from suffering. At the time of my first purchase of the Proactive solution, I had to seriously shake my wallet to afford it. The disappointment was quite immense.

To this day, I was not able to physically find someone who was able to benefit from those two products. I still see many acne faces like mine. I live in the county of the highest GDP in the US. Money can't be the problem for most people. There are more than enough dermatologists' offices. Why? They still haven't found something that works consistently on a lot of people.

So think hard about it... Why do they run informercials on TV, why isn't the product as ubiquitious as it should be, why are people still in search of the acne treatment that works, if they so magically work...

Best Wishes,

P.S. I honestly only intend to help. What I had to go thru isn't worth going thru for any of you. It was a painful time. :sad:

rolleyes.gif Hey Hukis83 just curious how is the Zenmed Derma Cleanse working for you? Did it improve your skin condition as they claimed or did it stay the same or even worsen? Im just asking because I purchased their product yesterday and wanted to know the real customer's reviews. Reply if you can thanks smile.gif

wow i wish i could've read this post sooner...i hated both products too. especially Murad. ARG i still have almost the full kit left. I was on it for 3 weeks and omfg i broke out like CRAZY.

Murad worked pretty good for me.. Proactive made me worse. My Neutrogena Rapid Clear regemin Im on now is 10x better then both of those.. for me anyway.

I tried Proactiv and it also made me breakout. It made my skin really red. I didn't like the smell. I think I was allergic to it. I would sneeze everytime I use the product. I would endure allergies if only the product really worked but it didn't. It made my skin worse than ever. I would get two or three zits at a time. That was bad for me.

I tried Glytone's acne kit but it didn't work for me either. Too harsh. It dried my skin and also made me breakout. I stopped using it.

I'm now on Cetaphil, Acnesil and Acne Spot Dry. Acnesil is mild and so far I haven't had any zits yet. Acne spot dry dries out the zit. It worked for my small zits but for the really large zit, it has taken time to really get rid of it.

I'm going to be trying out Puredeming products. But I'm still waiting for my products to arrive from the mail. I may have made a huge mistake by ordering the regular Intense gel and the glycolic acid peel. Do you think these products are going to be too harsh for my skin type? I have mild to moderate acne with lots of hyperpigmentation.

I've been looking for the HOly Grail of zit products. So far, I haven't found the perfect product yet. Maybe there is no one product for zits.