Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acne_Daniel

Getting these wired nasty breakouts...Pics inside..

HI All.

I have used DKR for years with pretty good results, but sometimes my skin goes crazy and breaks out with some wired spots...My skin can go from being very good and 3-4 days later be like my pics....

I get these wthite spots all over the place..even around my mouth which can be very annoying..

Can anyone explain why this happens? Does anyone else experience this? Can it be some kind of allergi reaction to certain things?

Thanks,

Daniel

post-60672-1271836820_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836874_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836914_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836933_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836820_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836874_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836914_thumb.jpg

post-60672-1271836933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Acne_Daniel

It should be noted that I have been on roaccutane on and off for 6 years...when I was 18 till 24..

Its probably my biggest regret in life, but cant do anything about it now...

I was just wondering if these breakouts can be from a sideeffect from using roaccutane?

Well, for starters, I'd say this doesn't look like an allergic reaction. Such a reaction would be much more severe.

I find it extremely peculiar that most of the white spots I see in the images are in the areas where you have heavy beard or mustache growth. Are you absolutely positively certain that these are acne pustules? It is possible that what you experience is actually a case of folliculitis. In many, many cases, a fungus-oriented hair follicle infection looks exactly like an acne pustule, and the only way to tell them apart is by taking a skin sample.

A good "homegrown" folliculitis test is to place your fingers on the top of your head, and move them around, as if performing a finger massage on the scalp. Can you feel any small bumps or uneveness there? Do you feel any pain or discomfort while doing it?

If this is a case of folliculitis, then I don't think the DKR is really effective in treating it. Benzoyl Peroxide does kill some of the bacteria which cause folliculitis, but most of the time it is fungus-oriented, against which DKR is ineffective. My recommendation is to pick up a medicated dandruff shampoo (I use Nizoral for treating my own case), and give it a try. Ketoconazole is the effective ingredient in Nizoral, in case this brand is not available in your local stores.

Note that in order for Nizoral (or similar medication) to work, it must be left on after lathering & spreading for approx. five minutes, before washing it off.

Edited by AKeshi

Hi Daniel,

Anytime someone gets good results with the regimen then they regress, we ask that you take this little quiz. http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

And read through the 'biggest mistakes' page. http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

I'm wondering if you are using enough bp and following the regimen strictly, twice a day, everyday. Is there any source of irritation to those particular areas that you are having trouble with?

I'm also wondering if your facial hair (beard) may be a factor. I'm going to link you to Dan's shaving information pages which should help. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#shave

and http://www.acne.org/guide-to-shaving.html

I hope that helps.

@Brandy

I certainly got more irritation in the my facial areas. But the breakouts in the pictures really happens all over my face...In my forehand, on my nose, next to my nose, around my lips, like the pictures shows....

And like I wrote, these breakouts can come very quickly and also go away within a week or so...Its not like my acne that is more constant....

It just boogles my mind....

I have used Nizoral before , but that was only for my hair/scalp...Can I safely try it in the face too?

Of course. I used it successfully to treat a folliculitis that I had on my lower chin & neck. The only difference between your facial hair and scalp hair is that they grow in different direction. The skin underneath is pretty much uniform.

Just make sure that you do not get any of the lathered Nizoral to your eyes or mouth. It might sting badly, and tastes awful (I was unfortunate enough to do this). Just splash your face with water, lather the Nizoral in your hands and spread it on your face gently. Let it effect for 4-5 minutes, then wash it off. Do not use normal Cleanser afterwards, as that may be extra irritating.

Remember that Nizoral treatment is only necessary twice a week or so, to keep it under control. It is much easier to treat than acne, which requires a daily Regimen.

That looks kind of like what I was getting. It didn't make since to me because I was washing my face twice daily. What I found out was that I needed to incrementally increase the amount of benzoyl peroxide I use each week. I'm at two full pumps now and most of my acne has been taken care of. I think that, the more you use BP, the better your skin gets at removing it, so you must apply more for the same effect; I don't think it's the bacteria becoming more resistant to it.

I'd also suggest shaving every night; it will makes it so much easier to clean your face. Facial hair absorbs bp and moisturizer so your skin wont be getting the full amount.

Edited by MattWBradbury