Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
free0facne

tea tree oil!

Alright i just started using tea tree oil (heard its good for scars) every night all over my face where my scars and marks are...and the now I'm seeing new zits popping up and some of the existing zits are now inflamed. I'm using 100% tea tree oil...i read that its suppose to make the acne peak? then it gets better I'm not sure if that's true but now my face looks even worse then it did! tea tree oil sucks.

I use 100% tea tree oil all over my face, wherever there is breakouts. It has never bothered me, been too drying, harsh, etc.

I never heard it was good for scars but it's good for drying out new acne. I'd say as long as your skin is not irritated you should be fine.

How long have you been using it?

i did the same thing. had 2 really bad pimples went to whole foods, got the 100% tea tree oil bc i heard it was a miracle drug, and used it as an astringent and my face REALLY exploded. it may have just drawn everyting out. i stopped using it & went back to using BP and aloe and now my skin is pretty clear accept the spots the pimple left behind. I cant tell if the oil worked or not bc it seemed to cause them but maybe it all had to come out to get better?

I use 100% tea tree oil all over my face, wherever there is breakouts. It has never bothered me, been too drying, harsh, etc.

I never heard it was good for scars but it's good for drying out new acne. I'd say as long as your skin is not irritated you should be fine.

How long have you been using it?

Same here its not irritating my skin at all...But it has made me break out. Does it get worse before it gets better? I have been using it for about a week.

i did the same thing. had 2 really bad pimples went to whole foods, got the 100% tea tree oil bc i heard it was a miracle drug, and used it as an astringent and my face REALLY exploded. it may have just drawn everyting out. i stopped using it & went back to using BP and aloe and now my skin is pretty clear accept the spots the pimple left behind. I cant tell if the oil worked or not bc it seemed to cause them but maybe it all had to come out to get better?

Sounds like you had the same problems that i'm having now. The tea tree oil caused more zits to appear and im hoping it gets better if i keep using it but i might just give up and quit because i really dont want anymore acne to deal with. What % bp do you use and what brand is it? i might give that a try if the tea tree oil doesnt work.

I don't remember it making me break out real bad at first. Try using it for about a month and see how it goes. You might just be purging, which of course is good in the long run :)

I use two drops of TTO in roughly 10ml of water to spot treat and it works good. Anything stronger than this and i get whiteheads - those really little ones that are deceptively painful and bleed when popped.

i use proactive but only the face wash and gel 2.5% for me the trick has been fresh aloe. apparently its a miracle drug. ive been washing & using aqua glycolic astringent and then coating my face with fresh aloe after it drys i spot treat with the 2.5% bp.

apparently the dead skin from using bp can cause more breakouts so the auqua glycolic alliminates that. i started this after i stopped the tea tree and (knock on wood) have been clear for about 2 weeks (took about 2 weeks to clear) now im just dealing with spots where pimple/ cysts were

I would never rub pure 100 percent Tea tree oil on my skin, you got some tough skin if it can handle that stuff. It made my face explode too, even after mixing it with aloe, and i think it has permanently made my skin even more sensitive after a huge month long post tea tree oil episode,

I would now only put it on a pimple that hasnt surfaced yet but rather you can feel it pushing through and then apply polysporin on top, and that helps fight the redness, irritation.

If the zit is open in any way even a tiny hole, or if its really close to surfacing, forget it. I still have brownish red spots spots from when i decided to give TTO one more chance, it BUUURNED the skin.

I honestly feel like throwing my TTO out,not throw it,,smash it..but that would be horrendous,like a bomb.

I've had another bad experience after using TTO. That makes it three times, and thus highly unlikely to be a conincidence. It gives me insane whiteheads. In some places there isn't even a spot - just regular skin with a whitehead. Lovely.

I use a facewash which is 0.01% tea tree and that is fine, but any time i try to mix my own - even if i use just one drop, it's breaking me out like crazy.

Never again.

I don't remember it making me break out real bad at first. Try using it for about a month and see how it goes. You might just be purging, which of course is good in the long run :)

Ok my face is starting to look better and zits are going down, should i keep using the tea tree oil till its empty?

I would never rub pure 100 percent Tea tree oil on my skin, you got some tough skin if it can handle that stuff. It made my face explode too, even after mixing it with aloe, and i think it has permanently made my skin even more sensitive after a huge month long post tea tree oil episode,

I would now only put it on a pimple that hasnt surfaced yet but rather you can feel it pushing through and then apply polysporin on top, and that helps fight the redness, irritation.

If the zit is open in any way even a tiny hole, or if its really close to surfacing, forget it. I still have brownish red spots spots from when i decided to give TTO one more chance, it BUUURNED the skin.

I honestly feel like throwing my TTO out,not throw it,,smash it..but that would be horrendous,like a bomb.

Yeah i know it sounds harsh but it doesn't burn my face at all probably from all the antibiotics/treatments Ive been through lol.

i use proactive but only the face wash and gel 2.5% for me the trick has been fresh aloe. apparently its a miracle drug. ive been washing & using aqua glycolic astringent and then coating my face with fresh aloe after it drys i spot treat with the 2.5% bp.

apparently the dead skin from using bp can cause more breakouts so the auqua glycolic alliminates that. i started this after i stopped the tea tree and (knock on wood) have been clear for about 2 weeks (took about 2 weeks to clear) now im just dealing with spots where pimple/ cysts were

Proactive made my acne worse! i would never go back to using that stuff plus its so expensive. Benzoyl peroxide really works but drys/irritates the skin way to much. Glycolic acid, are you using it as a cream or gel? i wanna give that a try and ive heard really good things from aloe.

I use two drops of TTO in roughly 10ml of water to spot treat and it works good. Anything stronger than this and i get whiteheads - those really little ones that are deceptively painful and bleed when popped.

Ive heard it doesnt mix with water? I got 2 whiteheads after using the tea tree oil for about a week i popped them and now there is a mark there. Feels like the tea tree oil pushes out the zits if that makes any sense...

You should've mix it with something else, like hammamelis water or some moisturizer.

Tea tree oil only kill bacteria but it is not as strong as BP.

1. Should use TTO in a 5% solution (It was shown to be as effective as a 5% solution of BP. Though results took longer with the TTO). Mixing with aloe vera works quite well.

2. How do you know if the breakout was from the TTO? It takes 28-30 days for acne to form, so it very well could have been from something else in the past.

TTO mainly works by killing the acne-causing bacteria and is a mild peeling agent, which should keep the pores clear. EDIT: Forgot, it's also a good anti-inflammatory agent.

Edited by swdison