Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snooze

Please help identify my scars and methods of treatment

Hey guys,

I understand that these scars aren't that bad, relatively speaking, but in my paranoid mind, they are (mainly the three circular ones in a row)

Some background info:

I went to a plastic surgeon, and he told me to simply wait. This was over a year ago, and not much has changed. Not the best advice...

I'm always conscious about lighting, especially very dim at an angle as you can see in pic #1.

What type of scars are these? Would I be a candidate for excision, subcision or fillers? I just want to eliminate the shadow that these scars cast, and I'd be totally content with some form of a linear scar left from stitches.

Thanks in advance!

post-89062-1271809414_thumb.jpg

post-89062-1271809718_thumb.jpg

post-89062-1271809414_thumb.jpg

post-89062-1271809718_thumb.jpg

Edited by snooze

2-3 subcisions should do the job...

Or you can just forget about it. People DO NOT notice these small scars. Yup.

Edited by usacc

2-3 subcisions should do the job...

Or you can just forget about it. People DO NOT notice these small scars. Yup.

yeah, what scars? Really, that just looks like normal skin to me.

I still see scars, especially the shadows. Could you at least help me identify them?

Does anyone have similar scars located in one area?

Like I said, I'd be very happy if I could level them and have a linear scar left from stitches.

Thank you for your input.

I still see scars, especially the shadows. Could you at least help me identify them?

Does anyone have similar scars located in one area?

Like I said, I'd be very happy if I could level them and have a linear scar left from stitches.

Thank you for your input.

I would say boxcar, but I'm not very knowledegable like other people here.

Thanks usacc, Lisa, for your responses.

I also needled all three scars a few times in the past. In my opinion, it helped the 2 shallower ones, but definitely enlarged the one farthest out, so it can be pretty risky, as any other treatment...

Has anyone had any surgical procedure done on a similar set of scars? Could you point me the right way. I would like to have the most information possible, before taking any aggressive action.

thanks,

Edited by snooze

I think your skin looks really good, I know you probably don't believe that. I have seen some ppl who have had very good luck with TCA peels. TCA peels can get pretty deep. It really smooths the skin out. Dermabrasion is so iffy, it can make the acne come back but that would work as well to polish the skin and soften those up. Good luck.

I think your skin looks really good, I know you probably don't believe that. I have seen some ppl who have had very good luck with TCA peels. TCA peels can get pretty deep. It really smooths the skin out. Dermabrasion is so iffy, it can make the acne come back but that would work as well to polish the skin and soften those up. Good luck.

Thanks for responding and the comforting words. I'm pretty OCD, so it makes my view of the scars much worse.

It's ironic, because I have a couple of scars from stitches on my chin, which don't bother me at all, yet are arguably more visible. That's why I keep on asking if it's possible to "trade" the depressed scars for linear stitched ones.

I'm afraid of TCA peels, and I was under the impression that it's mainly for ice-picks, which I don't think I have.

I'm considering fillers, maybe just to test it on one scar.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks,

bump, would fillers work and are they worth it?

thanks

Edited by snooze

I'm making an appointment with a surgeon, and I'll have the deepest one excised/subcised.

It seems like that scar has been growing, which is odd...

I'll keep you guys posted.

Keep us posted, I have some scarring on my cheek similar to yours and would be curious to see how yours turns out. I have OCD as well, BDD to be more specific so the scarring is driving me nuts.

Keep us posted, I have some scarring on my cheek similar to yours and would be curious to see how yours turns out. I have OCD as well, BDD to be more specific so the scarring is driving me nuts.

What type of treatments did your doctor(s) recommend for your scars, and what have you been doing to improve their appearance? I'm curious, because you said that our scars are similar, and it seems like we have a similar way of (over)thinking too... :P

I try to sleep a lot, which helps with overall healing. I take tons of vitamin C, some Zinc, vita B and E. I also take an antibiotic to prevent acne called Doxycylcin Hyclate 100mg.

take care

On a side note, a pimple formed directly in the middle of the scar I'm most concerned about (farthest out), and after a week, when it healed on its own, there was no change to the scar.

Is this a prime example that there is no collagen buildup in scar tissue, even when stimulated by something that normally requires it, like the healing of acne?

I found out that subcision is not an option, as it will most likely make the scars more visible.

The affordable solutions seem to be TCA cross and/or TCA peel. Would this be effective?

Once again I would just like to reduce the appearance of shadows in certain lighting, as shown in picture #1.

I found out that subcision is not an option, as it will most likely make the scars more visible.

The affordable solutions seem to be TCA cross and/or TCA peel. Would this be effective?

Once again I would just like to reduce the appearance of shadows in certain lighting, as shown in picture #1.

Hi my skin is alot like yours and it used to bother me a whole lot....i still think about it constantly, but I know inside that it will get better soon, I have an appointment with dr.lam in june and he does tca cross and silicone injections, I am not sure what he will recommend but I do know tca cross is supposed to be very effective it just takes more then one treatment......

Hi my skin is alot like yours and it used to bother me a whole lot....i still think about it constantly, but I know inside that it will get better soon, I have an appointment with dr.lam in june and he does tca cross and silicone injections, I am not sure what he will recommend but I do know tca cross is supposed to be very effective it just takes more then one treatment......

hey, thanks for the post.

I'm glad you're getting some treatment that should yield results. Could you keep us posted and/or post some pics? I'm interested in what Dr. Lam has to say about treatment possibilities.

Take care

hey, thanks for the post.

I'm glad you're getting some treatment that should yield results. Could you keep us posted and/or post some pics? I'm interested in what Dr. Lam has to say about treatment possibilities.

Take care

Hey carlock,

Have you had your appointment yet? Give us an update. I'm going to look into TCA peels at the local cosmetician's.

update:

I've been doing Glycolic acid peels, just the AHA+, and I noticed a smoother complexion. It also seems to have raised my indented scars slightly.

I'm still curious about stronger peels and/or fillers. Would these treatments help with my scars?

thanks in advance,

bump, would fillers work and are they worth it?

thanks

wtf dude seriously

what scars anywho?!?! ...

that would be over doing it by a country mile... no joke..

you need to stand back and think what your doing buddy

you don't really have scarring. Maybe like 1 tiny one. This is honestly a bit ridiculous. If you are doing subcision or excision for that I would not do it.

Sorry to sound like such a dick but you really have nothing and you don't need to be doing things that coudl risk ruining your GOOD skin that you have.

Get on a topical retinoid and chill out.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just wanted to say that this AHA+ has been working for me, and ask for some possible methods of treatment.

I'll look into topical retinoids. thanks.

I did some research and found a bunch of conflicting information about topical retinoids... :L Is this something that can improve skin texture through exfoliation, or is it mainly for acne and not scar treatment?

Anyway, I currently wash my face twice a day, and use Dan's AHA+ at night. I was wondering if someone could recommend a topical retinoid that I could use instead.

Thanks,

Edited by snooze

I did some research and found a bunch of conflicting information about topical retinoids... :L Is this something that can improve skin texture through exfoliation, or is it mainly for acne and not scar treatment?

Anyway, I currently wash my face twice a day, and use Dan's AHA+ at night. I was wondering if someone could recommend a topical retinoid that I could use instead.

Thanks,

Topical retinoids have been proven to increase collagen production, which can help scarring. They also treat acne. Retin-A gel is probably your best bet.

Topical retinoids have been proven to increase collagen production, which can help scarring. They also treat acne. Retin-A gel is probably your best bet.

Turns out Retin-A is not a good option for people with Eczema or any other skin conditions, so I will be staying clear of that product. Last thing I want is an eczema-like rash on my face.

I wonder if TCA cross is safe. I've read up on it, and it seems like a viable option.

Any input?

Thanks

Edited by snooze