Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zh17

Requesting Accutane as a treatment?

Hi so I've got a dermatologist appointment coming up (first one since I said good bye in the fall, after several months of retin a and doxy, which didn't do diddly) .

I suffer from moderate acne, with a few cysts thrown in for good measure. I mark and scar very easily (even non inflamed zits can leave marks....) I really think accutane is the right thing for me. I've given most otc products a go, retin and doxy for 2.5 months, dan's regimen, and nothing has realyl worked. I know I have acne from my genetics (as my father had severe acne, and took accutane in the 80's within the year of its debut). I also have done research on antibiotic resistance and I also feel the old man has given me that too ( as he was on several rounds of them as a teen).

Bottom line, if I ask for accutane will they give it to me?

I'm just afraid they're gonna prescribe some other cream or pill for me to use thats not gonna work and I have to deal with more time spent scarring and worrying.

Practically demand it from them. Tell them you've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Most derms don't feel comfortable prescribing it other than as a last resort. Also, if your father takes the doctor aside before-hand and asks him for it (and tells the derm that you are emotionally suffering from acne), you have a much better chance of getting it. Adults are much more influential.

But ASK for it.

thanks for the advice. I'll ask my dad if he can try to get off work to come with me. I mean his scars are pretty obvious, they can more or less tell his story.

I need to talk with my mom about it because she has a very "doctor knows best" attitude and has criticized my holistic remedies, dieting and the acne.org regimen. I guess I'll just tell her how acne makes me feel and I hope she will back me at the appointment.

Definitely tell your mom how you feel. I told my mom how I felt and THAT'S what made the difference. People who don't suffer from acne or don't remember how it was cannot sympathize with those who do. They can try, but they don't understand.

And If you DO get on Accutane, here's my BEST advice:

Drink lots of water. Lots.

Do NOT ever pick a pimple. While on Accutane, your face is in a much "weaker" state. Red marks don't heal near as fast, and it's best to leave your skin alone and let the medicine do the work.

Also, use a simple, non-irritating face wash. Once the Accutane truly takes effect, you can practically do anything and not break out. So use a soothing face wash to help redness and just get a better complexion. I strongly advise against Salicylic Acid and BP face-wash.

Anyways, hope that helps :)

thanks a lot for the words, it means a lot. :) My appointment is in the first week of may so I'm going to sit mom aside and just tell her that I feel this is the best path. I'm a junior in hs and am going to look for a summer job, go on college interviews and visits, and I really just need to put acne behind me so I can face my future with one less item of baggage.

Hey there!!

Your skin condition sounds EXACTLY like mine. Not TOO bad, but annoying white heads and CYSTS all the time. Just bumps and imperfections. I tried everything, Doxy and all...nothing worked for me. I was so frustrated that I went to my dermo and told him I couldn't stand it anymore and I was so fed up with nothing working. I told him I was done with the "well let's see if this one works" crap and that I wanted to take care of it seriously. So he put me on Accutane 80 mg per day.

I am just starting my third month and my face has never looked so bad. Not to be discouraged though because my back, chest, forehead and nose have never been so clear and smooth. My main problem to begin with was around my jawline and below. Now it seems as if it is all coming out in that area. I went to the doctor on April 19 to get my third script. He said this was normal and that is should clear up this month...(praying). :wall:

My friends thought I was crazy for going on Accutane when my skin wasn't that bad, but personally I was fed up and annoyed with all the products not working for even a second. I hope this helps...GOOD LUCK!!!! :angel:

I have mild/moderate acne. Just nasty pimples and nodules. no cysts (thank goodness). I was afraid my derm would tell me no as well.

I typed up a list of everything I have tried, when, how long, and results. who in my family took it, their types of acne, and results.

and every monday for a month I took a photo of my face.

that way even if you're having a good day (like i was when i had my derm apt, of course) you can give him a visual.

Once you sit down with your derm and just explain everything (throw in there that you've researched accutane). you should have luck.

Your story sounds very similar to me. I had moderate acne (thanks to my dad as well) and I really had to push for Accutane the first time around. Just stand your ground and let your derm know you've educated yourself on the medication and know what to expect.