Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
faieust

redness from BP and SalAcid?

A few years ago I moved to a different part of the U.S. and it is very humid here. Either because of that or something else, I began to get deep, very painful zits on my nose and occasionally but not really on other parts of my face. Basically just my nose. As soon as one or two on my nose would heal I would get another one. They were very deep, hardly ever surfaced, and painful. Eventually I started using 10% benzoyl peroxide cream and salyclic acid face wash. I have very oily, medium olive skin. The BP worked and these zits stopped almost immediately. Day and night I would wear BP10% and at night I used more than in the day. Thin layer in the day, thick layer at night per the regimen style.

Anyways, A few months into it one day I noticed some weird marks on my nose. Kind of grayish red. They were almost geometric in shape, and only noticeable in certain light. Eventually I noticed they would sometimes be redder than other times. One mark on the tip of my nose became really red one day while out in the cold weather. It stayed that way for over a year and still continues to slowly fade.

Does anyone know what this is? My derm told me they are not telangiectasia because you can't see any blood vessels, and she's convinced they are just post acne redness. She said she has a laser that can take the redness away but with darker olive skin I'm not ready for the possible hyperpigmentation that can result. I do hyperpigment sometimes but it's usually transient.

Has anyone experienced this? They don't seem like normal post acne redness but more like areas of blood vessel congestion that stops sharply making it look almost geometric. I'm wondering if the BP and Salicylic acid caused this.