Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
harrybrown1990

why do u need to use a facewash/cleanser???

If the facewash should only be on your face for 10 seconds and is only to prepare your skin for benzoyl peroxide why can't you just wash your face with warm water?? My face gets very dry and if the face wash or cleanser doesnt really do anything to spots and its only to remove the benzoyl peroxide and moisturiser isn't it just pointless and more irritating??? please reply thanks.

Warm water can't get your face as clean as facewash can. Facewash contains detergents which cut through the build up of sebum and moisturiser on your face - just like dish washing detergent cuts through the grease after a fry up.

Washing away the build up of sebum, dead skin cells, sunscreen, moisturisers etc allows the BP to penetrate more easily, and therefore do a better job of zapping your acne.

Since everyone's skin is different, your skin may not need the strong detergent that more oily skins do. Have a play around with different routines and cleansers, and find out what is best for your skin.

Hope this helps.

thanks ye my face is never oily so i might try not using any cleanser or face wash. But doent the benzoyl peroxide help shed the dead skin cells anyway? do you think only using warm water instead of a cleanser will give me more spots when i think the main cause of my acne is dry skin and irritation??

I'm no expert, but as far as I understand it, BP helps "unglue" the cells, and using a cleanser will help to wash away the "unglued" cells - so the cleanser compliments the action of the BP.

You could try alternating between a gentle cream and a more thorough foaming cleanser - using the cream cleanser when your skin is more dry, and the foaming cleanser when its not so dry.

Even if your skin is not producing as much oil, you still need to wash away the layers of product that build up on your skin. My instinct says that without regular cleansing (with more than water), you will be more likely to get spots. However, I'm not a dermatologist so I can't say for sure. Perhaps someone else on the boards can give you more than just an educated guess...

Have you tried using a moisturiser to help with the dryness? With a decent moisturiser, you may be able to cleanse your skin thoroughly without making your face too dry.

ye i use a moisuriser and jojoba oil and the face wash i use is simple face wash with no perfume no colour 100 soap free ph balanced and has like 9 ingredients inculding vitamin b5 so it probly isnt that thats making face dry. does anyone no if u can moisturiser to much??

Warm water can't get your face as clean as facewash can. Facewash contains detergents which cut through the build up of sebum and moisturiser on your face - just like dish washing detergent cuts through the grease after a fry up.

Washing away the build up of sebum, dead skin cells, sunscreen, moisturisers etc allows the BP to penetrate more easily, and therefore do a better job of zapping your acne.

Since everyone's skin is different, your skin may not need the strong detergent that more oily skins do. Have a play around with different routines and cleansers, and find out what is best for your skin.

Hope this helps.

I concor