Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
patfellover

Acne; My Teenage Dilema

HELLOOOOOO everybody. After months of debating whether to go on to this drug I have finally made the leap into Accutane! and have already completed one week too:D. I come from Australia so i thought it may be better if i start this drug in the winter months to avoid the horrific heat of the Aussie summer (<--death).

I guess i should start with a lillll info on myself and my acne first. I am 16 and i started getting acne about 3 years ago, it wasn't really that bad then so it honestly didn't bother me. When i was 14-15 however it got quite horrible and i was ashamed to go out in public and became quite paranoid as to whether people were actually looking at me in the eyes or whether they were looking at my mutant skin disease. I tend to get alot of under the skin bumps around my jawline(CHARMING) , along with a mixture of whiteheads and of course, a sh*t load of blackheads on my nose (LOVELY). I also get acne on my back (HOT) which is also another main reason why I'm going on this drug as i have heard about its positive affects on body acne. A lot of my acne may not be visible but it is there, i hope you all understand and it is one annoying pile of sh*t. Also I might add, I don't really get acne on my forehead so no photo's of that ;)

In recent times I have tried Retin-a Gel, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Differin and just about any face wash/scrub/useless wash you can name. I found that differin worked quite well for a while, but the moment i went off it it all came back, such a confidence boost :confused:

So here I am, 40mg a day on accutane ready to get rid of this crap once and for all. Side effects so far are Dry lips, bit of dry skin but it may be too early to tell. Wish me luck!

Current regime:

St Ives olive cleanser

Palmers Body Wash

20mg Accutane tab with food/ then another at night with food.

Here's me :)

post-115054-1271754500_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754562_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754540_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754717_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754598_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754500_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754540_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754562_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754598_thumb.jpg

post-115054-1271754717_thumb.jpg

thanks guys :) haha well maybe you'll get down here some day, I am happy to live here, just not when it's roasting.

BTW

I'll make sure to update this every couple of days.

Edited by patfellover

Guest DireStraits

best of luck on your course fellow aussie :clap:

just have your lip balm or chapstick in hand to take care of the dry lips!

Yes I've heard of that paw paw stuff, right now I'm just using Blistex but I don't know what is best so I may have to invest in that some of that, and yeah we are pretty much at the same stage:) best of luck to you. Nice to see some Australian's on here too :)

I think the IB may be kicking in slowly, my skin has gotten worse over the past few days, more white heads and for some annoying reason i am starting to see some really deep ones well into my skin, about 5-6 of them. I hope they don't all rise at once ah :wall: just can't wait to get past this IB stage. I was curious if anybody has gone on accutane for their body acne? can you tell me how well it treated it and if it came back? any info is much appreciated.

Hey i finished my course yesterday and I only got like 2-3 pimples on my body for the entire time which was like 5.5 months. However my body acne was pretty mild, normally just a couple of spots a month. Your facial acne doesnt look bad at all though, like mild-moderate.

yes my acne is mild moderate but it just never seems to go, but I know I'm not the worst case of acne so like everyone else I'll have to wait ;) thats great news about what your derm said, antibiotics just didn't do it for me anyway so no regrets for me thus far on being on this drug. Woke up today and nothing has changed, guessing my face will explode in a couple of days like everyone else. Thanks for the support everyone :)

My initial reaction to your pictures is that your skin isn't bad at all. I couldn't really see much pimples.

Spyda, yeah I know, half my acne is inflamed whilst some isn't but most of it is under the skin. My back is breaking out, I don't know if thats a good sign or not but i'll roll with it. Thanks for your support everyone :)

Well it's the end of day 9, i'm seeing small teeny weeny little white heads scatter over my cheeks, but they are really small. Nothing big has come up YET but I'm expecting some larger ones. No new side effects or anything like that, i hope these months fly by.

DAY 23

Well I don't know if this is normal but, not much has happened.. at all. I see lots of flakey skin..No real initial breakout unless it's still to come but basically its just much the same day by day. I never have really heard how the start of the course goes but I thought it was meant to get worse. I did take minocycline for 3 months before my course so i'm wondering whether that could be why my IB is just like any other breakout. Apart from all that, my skin is alot dryer, lips are well... they're like a prune. No other side effects to report, just kind of waiting for something new to report, good OR bad.

Will keep you all posted.

Sorry for not psting in a while guys, im at about day 40 now.. breakouts still happening, pimples still drying out etc. But my back hasn't really changed at all.. I do get quite bad bacne, like really big pimples i think they are called cysts and theres probably about 8 of them on my back mixed with smaller pimples too. I was just wondering when bacne started to clear up for you guys? is it as fast as when your face clears? or is it sooner or later? Dry lips are now a killer for me, skin is bareable.. i just want my clear skin..

Sorry for not posting in ages guys, been really busy.

I'm 1 month and 3 weeks into my course and I have my derm app. tomorrow afternoon. Here is basically a low down on the past month for me.

First of all, side effects.

Dry/Flakey skin

Dry lips

Increase in thirst.

Those are basically all I've experienced so far side effects wise.

Month 2 went like this: For me, it felt like Month 2 in particularly the second part of the month was worse than month 1 because nothing HORRIBLE happened in the first month even though I was expecting it to. In the past couple of weeks I have broken out all around my mouth and jawline area. Basically it where I've always had acne and its just funny how no matter what you try, it's all there sitting under your skin. Luckily it's all up now and will be hopefully killed off soon.

My back has not gotten better at all, it has gotten worse. Currently I have about 6 or 7 scattered cysts on my back in the mix of all the other minor pimples. Mainly i just wish my back would get better and I don't know when it will. I hope my Derm puts my dose up because I think that will help. I'm just not sure if 40mg is enough for my back acne, or anyone with moderate-servere back acne.

I have a lot of red marks on my face now, aloe vera gel seems to speed up the fading but it does take longer than usual because of Accutane. My skin is always flakey! every morning I wake up looking like a snake shedding it's skin. I have to use light exfoliator and a ton of moisturizer to keep that at bay.

Anybody out there that took accutane for their body acne, can you PLEASE share your stories with me? I would love the support. I just want all the painful ones to disppear :(

I will post pictures later on today.

Hang in there man. I guess a lot of people don't see any noticeable results until after the 3rd month.

Well I went to the derm and he was very pleased with my bloodwork. My results have barely shifted from before I was on the drug. I am still on 40mg a day however. He said that he estimated the course to be about 7 months long and I guess if I stay of 40mg a day then that's fine with me.

My skin is has not changed much, still got a fair amount of acne around the jaw, a few new whiteheads here and there. I guess it's all coming up and out now, and it was bound to sooner or later. I wish improvements would start now..I would be so much more f*cking confident with clear skin!

Guest DireStraits
Well I went to the derm and he was very pleased with my bloodwork. My results have barely shifted from before I was on the drug. I am still on 40mg a day however. He said that he estimated the course to be about 7 months long and I guess if I stay of 40mg a day then that's fine with me.

My skin is has not changed much, still got a fair amount of acne around the jaw, a few new whiteheads here and there. I guess it's all coming up and out now, and it was bound to sooner or later. I wish improvements would start now..I would be so much more f*cking confident with clear skin!

Dude i know exactly how you feel, but you gotta be patient with this drug. Changes will occur for the better. I was in exactly the same situation as you 40mg/day thinking when will this stuff actually kick in.

For me it was around midway through the third month i noticed a big change. Yeah it may sound like a long time for ya, but you just gotta grind through it.

Keep ya chin up Pat keep venting if you want, ventings always good :lol:

Edited by DireStraits