Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sizzz

Accutane questions (ipledge)

ok so i have an appointment for my derm on monday to talk about accutane. I'm sick of trying stuff and not getting results, so its time for the big guns. But i really want to start right away but I hear there is a lot of stuff i have to go through at first, like contract signing and reading and stuff. I also was wondering if i need to get a blood test before i start (oh man i'm terrified of blood tests, any advice on dealing with these would be appreciated as well).

So how long will it take before i can finally start taking this miracle (hopefully) drug?

and i have done my research and am fully aware of the side effects.

also, if you have anything positive and encouraging to say about accutane please post it...i can use all the encouragement i can get. Also how soon might i see positive results?

ok so i have an appointment for my derm on monday to talk about accutane. I'm sick of trying stuff and not getting results, so its time for the big guns. But i really want to start right away but I hear there is a lot of stuff i have to go through at first, like contract signing and reading and stuff. I also was wondering if i need to get a blood test before i start (oh man i'm terrified of blood tests, any advice on dealing with these would be appreciated as well).

So how long will it take before i can finally start taking this miracle (hopefully) drug?

Hello,I have been on accutane now for about 5 months.My cysts have all cleared up.I just hope that it stays that way.I have heard that it can sometimes come back.I think you should ask your derm to look into a low dosage.That is what I am on.I also was scared to take accutane.I finally got fed up,I tried every med out for this ,and nothing worked.As for the blood work I have only had one,and everything turned up good.Tomorrow I have another appointment,this will be my last month on a 40mg dose.After this my doc is going to lower the doseto 10mg.I have had no bad side effects but dry lips,dry nasle passage.To answer your question it might take two weeks to a month to see any results.I hope I helped a little in your dicision.Go for it.

Hello,I have been on accutane now for about 5 months.My cysts have all cleared up.I just hope that it stays that way.I have heard that it can sometimes come back.I think you should ask your derm to look into a low dosage.That is what I am on.I also was scared to take accutane.I finally got fed up,I tried every med out for this ,and nothing worked.As for the blood work I have only had one,and everything turned up good.Tomorrow I have another appointment,this will be my last month on a 40mg dose.After this my doc is going to lower the doseto 10mg.I have had no bad side effects but dry lips,dry nasle passage.To answer your question it might take two weeks to a month to see any results.I hope I helped a little in your dicision.Go for it.

thanks man, that does help...but how long did it take for you to finally get a prescription of accutane. Because i heard that there is a 30 day waiting period or something. Or did you just go in and get signed up and a prescription the day you went into the derm?

Hey...

It took me a month after my appointment to get on accutane because I had to go on birth control. I dont recall if they gave my blood test then or after my first month on it. Ask your doctor if they can do the finger poke instead. That's what my doctor used. I passed out once from it lol but it really isnt bad. I am not good with blood either so I was glad they poked my finger rather than take tons of blood. I really dont think they need that much to be honest.

But here's the thing on accutane. It DOES NOT work for everyone. It didn't work for me, I wasn't seeing results at all from other meds so I tried accutane and now my skin is still bad and i did the full 6 month course. I started with one on my face and then midway i had at least six or seven badly, and now that im off i still have four. he put me on bactrum and its helping. i used to be on it and it didnt work and now that im on it again after accutane, its working. and everyone says like oh it might be your dosage he had you on but i kept upping my dose and the worse it got.

if you dont see improvement after three or four months, you may want to rethink your accutane. ask your dermatologist if that may happen to your skin and what you can do to prevent it. mine had me on like some face wash stuff as well to help it (which did work for like a day lol) but still you can still use other stuff while on accutane to help it.

just a helpful tip. load up on chapstick. it sucks.

i hope it all goes good for you! i didnt have luck with it but im sure youll have better luck

thank you for the info and sorry it didn't work for you. Being a boy i do not have to worry about birth control so hopefully i will be able to get it quick. And i will ask my doc about finger prick. I really hope it works, i have moderate-severe acne and i'm sick of it.

The only thing that will stop you from geting it will be your blood test. But usually you cannot get the Rx until they get the blood results. Just ask your derm to give you the order to have your blood test immediately. once you get that and pass the quiz, you should be golden! the waiting period is just females. we get 2 tests for pregnancy and start BC if we arent already on it. so you're exempt from t hat one!

best of luck!

The only thing that will stop you from geting it will be your blood test. But usually you cannot get the Rx until they get the blood results. Just ask your derm to give you the order to have your blood test immediately. once you get that and pass the quiz, you should be golden! the waiting period is just females. we get 2 tests for pregnancy and start BC if we arent already on it. so you're exempt from t hat one!

best of luck!

thank you! ugh now i just need to get over my insane fear of needles going into my vain...o well, gotta get over it sometime i guess :confused:

I'm not really afraid of needles, I've been getting allergy shots my whole life. Once trick I was taught though was exhale with gusto when they stick the needle it. Ya hardly feel anything.

I'm not really afraid of needles, I've been getting allergy shots my whole life. Once trick I was taught though was exhale with gusto when they stick the needle it. Ya hardly feel anything.

I used to get allergy shots every week too. But they gave me hives so I had to stop that. Needles don't even phase me anymore.