Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay326

True Life: I hate my face

I was scrolling through the TV guide and saw one of my favorite shows, True Life, had a few episodes on tonight. I was surprised and excited to see a new episode called "I hate my face". The description of the episode is "Young women, suffering from Body Dysmorphia, are desperate to overcome distorted self-perceptions".

The only shitty thing is that I guess only women will be in this episode, even though this disease affects males as well (I believe I have this). Anyways! Who will be watching tonight? It's 9 PM my time (and a re-run right after). I'm pretty excited to watch it.

Edited by Jay326

i guess ill watch it even tho id love my face if it wasnt infested with acne, theyre faces are perfectly fine and they still bitch about it

But to them, your face might be completely fine, yet you're still bitching about it. ;)

i guess ill watch it even tho id love my face if it wasnt infested with acne, theyre faces are perfectly fine and they still bitch about it

But to them, your face might be completely fine, yet you're still bitching about it. ;)

but my face isnt completely fine and its not in my imagination like theirs, its completely real. i actually have a reason to bitch having a disease on my face

Honestly BDD is a real thing so don't hate on it. The disease is completely mental, so even if in reality everyone thinks you are perfectly fine, you still hate certain things about yourself because it's all in your head. Try not to judge man, it's not a fun thing to deal with.

Edited by Jay326

im not hating on it, it really is a horrible thing to have and i do feel sorry for it. but since it is a mental illness it can be overcome. we are suffering from a physical illness that many of us have tried everything to defeat and nothing has worked for us which is causing a mental illness along with the physical. they what im trying to say is they dont have it anywhere near as bad as severe acne sufferers

but my face isnt completely fine and its not in my imagination like theirs, its completely real. i actually have a reason to bitch having a disease on my face

Once again, we're dealing with a subjective matter. To someone else, your acne might be something extremely minor, regardless of how severe you think it is. And vice versa.

Once again, we're dealing with a subjective matter. To someone else, your acne might be something extremely minor, regardless of how severe you think it is. And vice versa.

true i see what ur saying but the main problem is even if someone else doesnt think its that bad (which is impossible) i will still hate myself because it is that bad to me

And acne sufferers don't have it anywhere near as bad as...cancer sufferers? I mean we could do this all night long but I was hoping to keep it on topic about BDD and this TV episode.

And acne sufferers don't have it anywhere near as bad as...cancer sufferers? I mean we could do this all night long but I was hoping to keep it on topic about BDD and this TV episode.

id honestly rather have cancer. at least in that case people would have sympathy instead of disgust towards me and i would die from it so i dont have to suffer for a whole lifetime

id honestly rather have cancer. at least in that case people would have sympathy instead of disgust towards me and i would die from it so i dont have to suffer for a whole lifetime

You need to grow up. How ignorant can you be?

That's really not the point Walrus...but nevermind, I give up. If someone would actually like to comment about the topic of BDD or the episode once it has aired, would be great.

im not being ignorant if i could trade my skin problems for cancer right now i wouldnt even have to think about it. i cant think of 1 thing that i wouldnt do to get clear skin

anyway, I'd be interested in seeing the True Life on BDD. It's a shame that the episode is only covering women, however, since men obviously suffer from this illness as well. I'm sure it overlaps into the territories of acne sufferers, and I wonder if the program will go into that, or if it will focus mostly on weight issues. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it tonight since I don't have cable hooked up, but I'm gonna check it out once it gets online. I'm glad that awareness is being raised about this mental disorder, since it would seem that a lot of people are still under the impression that since diseases like these are mental, that it's all in the head and therefore not real. Obviously this is very real to the people who suffer it, and I'm sure a lot of us here on the ORG can empathize.

anyway, I'd be interested in seeing the True Life on BDD. It's a shame that the episode is only covering women, however, since men obviously suffer from this illness as well. I'm sure it overlaps into the territories of acne sufferers, and I wonder if the program will go into that, or if it will focus mostly on weight issues. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it tonight since I don't have cable hooked up, but I'm gonna check it out once it gets online. I'm glad that awareness is being raised about this mental disorder, since it would seem that a lot of people are still under the impression that since diseases like these are mental, that it's all in the head and therefore not real. Obviously this is very real to the people who suffer it, and I'm sure a lot of us here on the ORG can empathize.

there is a version of this that relates to acne called acne dysmorphia. http://www.acne.org/acne-dysmorphia.html . the thing is its very alike since the people that suffer from this usually only have mild acne but they think its much worse when its really nothing. im sure many people on this site suffer from this, theres plenty of threads about how mild acne is ruining their lives. if only i had just mild acne.

im not being ignorant if i could trade my skin problems for cancer right now i wouldnt even have to think about it. i cant think of 1 thing that i wouldnt do to get clear skin

WOW. Your post is utter garbage.

Lisa, I think it'll be based on facial features that these girls don't like about themselves. Cheekbones, nose, ears, eyes, things of that nature I'm guessing.

Lisa, I think it'll be based on facial features that these girls don't like about themselves. Cheekbones, nose, ears, eyes, things of that nature I'm guessing.

I guess with the media pressure on women (and men!) to all look like super models (or athletes!), I could see where looking in the mirror and never being good enough could become a real issue with a lot of people. It seems like body dysmorphia is an umbrella term that encompasses acne dysmorphia, muscle dysmorphia, anorexia, bulimia, etc. On the more severe side, there's even a kind of body dysmorphia in which people wish to have healthy limbs removed from them because they feel they don't belong to them. :shock: I bet they won't go into that in the show :rolleyes:

Edited by whoalisa

The show just started and I'm realizing it's not exactly what I was hoping. It's just a girl who hates her nose and another girl that hates her chin. Bah.

The show just started and I'm realizing it's not exactly what I was hoping. It's just a girl who hates her nose and another girl that hates her chin. Bah.

Ya and they look fine, especially the 2nd girl, i mean she models for crying out loud. That should tell her something right there. I wish i could complain about my CLEAR chin shape. wow

Ya and they look fine, especially the 2nd girl, i mean she models for crying out loud. That should tell her something right there. I wish i could complain about my CLEAR chin shape. wow

hahaha, sounds like normal girl complaints to me. Seriously, they should have made it True Life: I Hate My Limbs. That seems more documentary worthy. :rolleyes:

hahaha, sounds like normal girl complaints to me. Seriously, they should have made it True Life: I Hate My Limbs. That seems more documentary worthy. :rolleyes:

hahahahaha i hear ya;)

hahahahaha i hear ya;)

OMG i cringed on those injections shots they just showed. lol

ahhahashhahahhaAHHAHA

BAHAHAHAHHAHA BAB HAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahhaha AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHLOLOLOLOLOL GHAHA?HAHAA i only laugh b/c i relate so much. i feel the same way.

Should be renamed True Life: I want plastic surgery.

I was expecting a much darker episode, but these 2 girls sound like any other out there wanting to go under the knife. They're maybe just a little more whiney, delusional, superficial, etc.

Someone who really hated their face wouldn't be a model, and probably wouldn't even leave the house... O_O

Edited by lightersUP